Should I get an LG OLED55BX or Sony KD55A8?

Nin10do

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Starting a new thread, as my old one become a bit un-focused/long.

Decided on a solid selection now of a Sony XH9505 or a LG BX or Sony KD55A8.

For good 60fps 4K gaming, Freeview, and 24p Blu-ray/Apple TV.

Thanks.

Gaming hands down the BX because of its Dynamic Tone Mapping.
Sony A8 better for movies/TV.

Sony XH9505 is an option to go for if you have a reason to avoid OLED tech, for example, risk of burn in. Its not as good as a TV as either OLED imo.

Thanks!

Or there was another cheaper option to tide me over the next 1 or 2 years until 2.1 HDMI maybe has more options, the 49XH8505? VA/120hz panel I think (Might be a lottery though)? It's around £640.

It seems the LG BX may be the best 'all-rounder' though. I can get the BX 55-inch for around £990.

Last edited:
That isn't a bad option but must be treated as an SDR only TV as its HDR capabilities are next to zero.

HDR should be number one priority when shopping for a TV nowadays, get something that can't cope and you'll want to change your TV sooner.

That isn't a bad option but must be treated as an SDR only TV as its HDR capabilities are next to zero.

HDR should be number one priority when shopping for a TV nowadays, get something that can't cope and you'll want to change your TV sooner.

Is that in reference to the 49XH8505? It seems okay, but having trouble nailing down if it actually has a VA panel.

Last edited:
Is that in reference to the 49XH8505? It seems okay, but having trouble nailing down if it actually has a VA panel.
Yes. It should be using a VA panel at that size, traditionally Sony's in that range do.

I'm not sure what you mean by it seems okay though. It's fine if you just want to use SDR on the TV, not if you want to use HDR.

I'm not sure what you mean by it seems okay though. It's fine if you just want to use SDR on the TV, not if you want to use HDR.

Seems "just okay" I mean. Nothing amazing, but for the money not bad because it has 120hz/VA panel.

I'm leaning towards the LG BX 55. I can get it for around £990. That seems like the best value for what you're getting.

I actually don't think the Sony XH85 is good value, but that is just because mid range TVs tend not to be.
You are best buying budget or expensive, something inbetween and it makes little sense.

I actually don't think the Sony XH85 is good value, but that is just because mid range TVs tend not to be.
You are best buying budget or expensive, something inbetween and it makes little sense.

Okay. So for £990 the BX sounds good as an 'all rounder'? Actually cheaper than the 55XH9505 that's around £999.

Hi just this second finished setting up my 55 XH9505 and I'm very very impressed. Android is quick (I've heard old reports that it was slow and cumbersome) and I'm quite like the OS in all. Just upgraded Netflix to the 4K plan so haven't seen much 4K content as of yet. The sounds is a lot better than our old LG and my parents new Panasonic, sorry of that doesn't help much. Gonna test my PS4 Pro later tonight. Oh I contacted Richer Sounds yesterday dinner time before purchasing and they offered me the set for £949 with a 6 year warranty. The said delivery would be around 5 days but it arrived just after 1400 today. Excellent service. Hope this helps a tiny bit.

@averagedarren thanks for sharing your experience. I have settled on getter an OLED I think.

@Dodgexander

So I ordered the BX from Richer Sounds for £989.

But now I see Costco have the KD55A8 for £1079.

Is the Sony going to so much better for movies as to give up 2.1 HDMI and dynamic tone mapping for?

@averagedarren thanks for sharing your experience. I have settled on getter an OLED I think.

@Dodgexander

So I ordered the BX from Richer Sounds for £989.

But now I see Costco have the KD55A8 for £1079.

Is the Sony going to so much better for movies as to give up 2.1 HDMI and dynamic tone mapping for?

4K HDR, no. To the contrary, LG's DV is marginally better and brighter.
SDR, Sony marginally better.
Motion wise, Sony marginally better or moreso dependant on taste of interpolation.

The HDMI 2.1 gaming features are worth a lot more IMO if you are planning to game at a decent fidelity.

4K HDR, no. To the contrary, LG's DV is marginally better and brighter.
SDR, Sony marginally better.
Motion wise, Sony marginally better or moreso dependant on taste of interpolation.

The HDMI 2.1 gaming features are worth a lot more IMO if you are planning to game at a decent fidelity.

Planning to plug a Series X into it.

What I care about most is using for gaming and 24p movies with good HDR. I don’t watch sport or normal broadcast TV much very much.

Planning to plug a Series X into it.

What I care about most is using for gaming and 24p movies with good HDR. I don’t watch sport or normal broadcast TV much very much.

Then you made the right decision. You might have seen a marginal motion improvement with the Sony but you'd lost out on 120hz, HDMI 2.1, VRR, brighter (better) DV, etc.

Thanks my FOMO is kicking in after finally making a purchase! Haha.

@kenshingintoki Why better Dolby Vision?

Last edited:
So 65CX if I game otherwise SONY A8?

Or BX.

Not necessarily. I’m sure you’d be happy with either tbh.

But gamers do like the LG for the HDMI 2.1 inputs whereas the Sony has 2.0 HDMI.

Also the Sony is Android OS and LG is WebOS. I’m not too keen on Android myself.

Sony has all the major UK catch-up services on it while the LG just has Iplayer atm. This doesn’t matter to me but to some it would.

Or BX.

Not necessarily. I’m sure you’d be happy with either tbh.

But gamers do like the LG for the HDMI 2.1 inputs.

Also the Sony is Android OS and LG is WebOS. I’m not too keen on Android myself. Sony has all the major UK catch-up services on it while the LG just has Iplayer atm.

The 2.1 do seem to be for Games, which at 50-odd I do not see myself taking up lol.

Sport's\streaming and DVD play is top if the list as I can't afford 10 metres of DVD to 4k upgrades even if they were released....

The 2.1 do seem to be for Games, which at 50-odd I do not see myself taking up lol.

Sport's\streaming and DVD play is top if the list as I can't afford 10 metres of DVD to 4k upgrades even if they were released....

Is there a particular reason why you wanted OLED? Maybe the Sony 55 inch or 65 inch xh9505 would be good? LCD is good for sport. Bit cheaper as well.

The Sony's fortee is its motion in video content but that is more important for sports than film. For gaming the BX is the better option.

Motion is a general statement of course, when someone says motion is better on X TV compared to Y they are talking usually about video content.

Since the BX has VRR the motion in games will be a lot better than the A8.

Sorry to jump in. I am in a similar position to blahblah01. Don't game and predominant use is football and streaming. I have price match promises on 55 bx and A8 with JL
and RS. Is there really that much of a difference in the picture quality between the two?

The price difference makes the Bx very tempting and would I really notice a difference watching football on an A8? I suspect it boils down to personal choice but would welcome some comments from anyone with the bx who watches football regularly.

I have a 55 Sony w829 from 2014 which does a petty good job of football in hd. Aside of the two oleds would the 9505 be a better all round option for my use given the price similarity instead?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom