Should I get an Evoke-3, or...

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by ProfessorYaffle, Jan 24, 2008.

1. ProfessorYaffle

ProfessorYaffle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    OK, so I've had a Pure Bug for a couple of years, primarily for its excellent recording functionality. The Evoke-3 would probably represent an upgrade, but I have one major decision (given the Evoke-3 eventually falls within a reasonable price range, of course...). Read on...

My original Bug had an audible background interference from the speakers that was incredibly disconcerting at low volumes. It was exaggerated when using earphones (frankly unbearable), so I gave up on that idea, too.

Eventually, this drove me mad, so I begrudgingly sent it back (I'm partially-sighted, so hate to part with my radio). To give Pure their due, they were absolutely superb and even replaced it with a Pure Too.

However, much to my horror and crushing disappointment, it exhibits the same symptoms. Pure conceded that "there is some background noise on the BUG radio at very low volumes", so I'm stuck with it - surely my heightened levels of hearing aren't so pronounced that I'm the only person who has noticed this racket? I've turned off all possible interference sources (DECT, WiFi etc.) to no avail and have moved house (no, not purely to escape the noise!) but things haven't improved.

Which, finally, leads me to my questions:

Who else has noticed this?
    Does the Evoke-3 suffer similarly?

I'm hoping it's a shielding issue and that the Evoke-3 is far better in that respect. But, alas, I'm not prepared to spend £160 to find out! There are few affordable alternatives out there (I've heard mixed reviews about the Roberts' offerinhgs that record) and I'm not interested in a PC or Freeview based solution to record radio...

Any thoughts or suggestions would be very gratefully received.

2. hannahntilly

hannahntilly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I also have a Bug but primarily listen to it as a bedside radio. I use the built-in speakers and haven't noticed any interference.

I mostly listen to my DAB recordings using my PC connected to my hi-fi and can say that they sound perfectly reasonable (within the constraints of compressed audio of course). Might I suggest that you'll get better results than any "portable" radio by using alternative amplification & loudspeakers ?? I speak as someone with fairly refined tastes in hi-fi - Naim, Linn & Musical Fidelity - though my ears have probably suffered from too much abuse over the years to be too fussy these days.

3. ProfessorYaffle

ProfessorYaffle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I forgot to mention that the recordings are free from the background noise when played on anything else, so the quality of DAB is not the issue. And my budget Bush pocket DAB demonstrates how DAB should sound, with the same fairly decent Sennheiser 'phones.

I'm guessing a shielding issue between the audio circuitry and the DAB processor or display gubbins, much like on using the earphone jack on some laptops (where the hard drive or CPU can create interference)

4. Nick Odgers

Nick Odgers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The Tivoli Model DAB sounds excellent on dab and fm.