Should I get an all in one kit??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dmckillop, Feb 6, 2001.

1. dmckillop

dmckillop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've read a few reviews of these all in one AV/Amp and Speaker kits and some reviewers have some very good things to say about them. I've also spoken to a few people at work who own the Videologic Digitheatre DTS, they seem to think the sound is awesome.

I was going to buy one of these kits, but I was really put off when I saw the tiny satellite speakers they supply. This just got me thinking, maybe they think these things are good as they've never heard a real Home Cinema setup.

A few weeks ago my father in law was showing off his new widescreen Panasonic TV with built in sub and pseudo 3d sound(?). He was really impressed by it. The rear speakers looked like they were from a personal stereo and sounded just as bad!

The problem for newbies like myself is that anything could sound good when your used to a normal Nicam TV.

If I don't get an all in one kit, I don't really want to spend more than £800 on an Amp and speakers. But I'm still not sure what option to go for.

The question I have then is;
    if a normal TV's sound rates a score of 1 on a scale of 1-10 and a Nicam TV 2. What score would you give

a) The all in one kit
    b) An £800 HC setup

PS.
    I was listening quite closely to the sound in my local Warner Brothers Cinema the other day and the sound quality was absolute crap, the distortion was unbelievable. Would I be right in saying that a good HC setup could sound better than your local cinema?

[This message has been edited by dmckillop (edited 06-02-2001).]

[This message has been edited by dmckillop (edited 06-02-2001).]

2. KAO

KAO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The best bet would be to find a good local dealer, tell him your budget and requirements, and let him show you what a decent system can sound like. You'll be very pleasantly surprised!

3. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,476
    A reasonable home cinema could wipe the floor with some cinemas when you consider that you could have a home cinema with DTS and some cinemas still only have Dolby Surround.
    Ignore the size for a moment and the image quality from a CRT projector could easily be better than from a dirty print in a cinema.
    Revisiting the size issue, in a home cinema, sit 8 foot back from an 8 foot wide image and the picture fills a large part of your field of vision. Just like at the cinema.

4. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A good cinema kicks ass of any hometheatre setup.
    In a TOP cinema. Just the size of the screen and the massive sound...your home setup just can't compare.
    mainly for two reasons.
    1 Financial
    2 Neighbours.

BUT the difference between a decent homecinema set and a nicam set is AWESOME.
    Once you're bitten with the bug you can't stop.
    But like you said...any upgrade over your nicam set will be an major improvement.
    For example using your stereo speakers and stereo amp will be impressive improvement over your normal TV speakers.

But with 800 pounds you can make a serious start.
    Do you have/want a DVD player?
    Because DTS/DD are only interesting if you have a DVD or an RF capable LD player.
    VCR and TV are only capable to deliver DPL.

The nice thing about an allin set...it's all included and it's easy.

BAD: It's still not as good as a seperates.It's dificult to upgrade/replace.
    And trust me...you will want to upgrade your system. Because you want better sound,something broke down or it became obsolete.

If you want to buy seperates. It'll be more expensive. But there's someways to build a system step by step slowly while still enjoying a good homecinema sound.

5. dmckillop

dmckillop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've already got a Wharfedale DVD750 and a 29" Sony TV which I'm thinking about upgrading. But I think Audio is more important at the moment.

From what I've read here I was thinking of getting a Sony STRDB940 amp, can anyone recommend some speakers that would match this amp well? I'm not that worried about loads of volume, I'd rather have better quality.

6. Kahless

Kahless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I had £800 to spend on sound I would buy a Kenwood 7030D amp from www.empiredirect.co.uk and spend the other £590 on the speakers. I have this amp and it sounds fantastic, read the review in the test bench section of this very web site. As for speakers I personally like tannoy, but there are a few brands that do kits of speakers (five and a subwoofer). Mission do one at empre for just under £300 but I would have a good look round.

7. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would recommend the searates way, even if they aren't as easy as a one box solution.

don't be in any rush to buy, give your self a few months of buying some good magazines, reading stuff online, generally getting a feel for whats about.

Get yourself a nice shortlist, then have a wonder about, and listen to a few things and buy whichever thing you like best.

Have a look at the new misson m70 range

M73/M7c/M7ds - £350ish from QED-uk.com

hth

Jim