1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I get a widescreen?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by russellfenwick, Oct 4, 2002.

1. russellfenwick

russellfenwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It doesn't seem to matter what make or model they all seem to have problems. I realise people only post when things go wrong but its really offputting when trying to decide what to buy.

I'm leaning towards the Philips 32" 6006 or Panasonic TX32PL10 yet for all the good things said there seem to be common problems with both that I know would annoy me if I came across them.

Should I just take the plunge and hope I get a good TV, whichever one it is?

Regards

--
    Russell

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    As an alternative to buying a 'good' W/S TV right now, you could either

- stretch to the cost of a Plasma. £2500 will buy you a 32inch Hitachi and £3000 will buy you a 42 inch Samsung from Dixons. £2500 will also buy you a 42 inch LG from RicherSounds.

- buy a real bargain-basement WS TV (eg 28" from Safeway's £239) and live with it, warts and all, for a couple of years. Save the extra you might have spent, add to it and, after a couple of years go buy an LCD or Plasma (by then, they will be even cheaper than they are now).

3. GavTNewbie

GavTNewbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    just my two-bobs worth...

ive got a 32pw6006. brilliant tv, superb picture, so-so sound, for £570 ish delivered (unbeatable.co.uk a few months back).

however, as you suggest with your post, there are a few problems that seem common with this set:
    - dark rgb
    - geometry issues

Ive seen the dark rgb problem, but managed to find a way round it (although I can guarantee that it will annoy the hell out of you when you discover it :mad:), but the geometry on my set is spot on.

personally speaking though, if I were you I would just keep the money in my pocket. toshiba 42" 100Hz, DAB, Dolby Digital, rear-projection price has tumbled from the time I bought my set to today (i think £1200 should secure one of these babies).

tough call, I would get other, more experienced members opinions before deciding what to do though.

gavin.

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    What are your expectations likely to be ? If you feel that one of the above mentioned sets would meet your needs then i would be inclined to purchase that for the time being.On the other hand if you aspire to a set at 3 or 4 times the price i guarantee you will spend a dispraportionate amount of time looking for faults and imperfections then stressing yourself out trying to get it fixed. :)

5. Squall Strife

Squall Strife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Can anyone explain me whats the dark RGB problem???
    I almost decided to buy the Panasonic TX32PL10, is that a godd TV???

6. chegz60

chegz60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try using 'search' at top for some answers:D