1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should i get a sub with my 6x9s

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by Carter, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Carter

Carter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi i have just fitted some vibe 6x9's in my parcel shelf and was thinking of putting a sub in the boot also but i have heard that it would not be best as it distorts the 6x9's. Could you give me your opinions on this.

Also if its not best to install sub could you give me any ideas on what i could do next to improve sound without cutting out the dash/door panels as the 6x9s are just not enough.

Cheers

2. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Perhaps the question should read 'should i get a sub instead of my 6x9's'.
    Seriously,consider doing without the 6X9's. A nice set of amped components ans a single sealed sub will hit the spot if set up well.

3. Carter

Carter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks what sort of amped components would be best? So if i did install a sub would it distort the 6x9s? And is there anywhere else i could put the sub or anything i could do to prevent distortion such as soundproofing around the bottom of the 6x9s.

Thanks

4. markyb555

markyb555
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    without totally sealing the 6*9's in a box or fibreglass unit to prevent the subs air pressure from getting to them they will distort. I totally agree with Lynx.. some nice comps up front and sub will do the trick.Thats all mine has in. To test and to prove to myself i put my old 6*9's back in on a Acoustic shelf and it sounded carp compared to the sub. Too much treble behind you, after all you dont sit with your back to the tv?

Theres alot of quality to be had from a decent sub package believe it or not.
    It comes back to the old saying.You get what you pay for mate :)

HTH

Edit: sorry didnt see you wanted recommendations.. Its all about how much your willing to spend mate. And if your willing to do second hand high end comps. lots of bargins to be had..

5. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    look on ebay for Focal Access components for a REALLY good entry point. The Kevlar line is another good Focal range- punchier sound than the Access. All are handmade, something you can't say for Vibe stuff ;)

6. trashbat

trashbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no way bruv, blatantly keep 6x9s and put sub in aswell. all you need to do it cut a few holes in parcell shelf. i did this when installing my 6x9s and then left the grills off and covered the whole shelf with a black fabric. not only does this cover up the unsighly holes, it acts as a cheap and effective stealth shelf and works a treat. and i am one to talk, im running two 12 inch monsters in my boot and it sound fine. one thing i might say is though i know you dont want to cut your doorcards but it is well worth getting a pair of 4 inch coxials in there aswell to help out with a bit more treble and if you're feeling really adventourous go for some tweeters up in the dash or the A pillars. :smashin:

7. skeet94

skeet94
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OH BOY I hope you was being sarcastic or joking!

I'd personally agree with the others. Look at getting a capable subwoofer, if you want LOUD bass then port the subwoofer which is mostly dependant on what kind of music you listen to. If accuracy if your goal, definitely go sealed. Spend some decent money on a pair of components and you will definitely have a nice sounding car.

Stick to the rule of K.I.S.S (Keep It Simple - Stupid). Unless you want ear bleeding treble without a hint at true reproduction then do what Trashbat suggested :).

8. trashbat

trashbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well mine works fine mate. actually try it before you knock it as you have obviously never heard what it could sound like with a bit of effort put into it. :D

9. magrillz

magrillz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I suppose you could get the sub and some decent comps up front powered by an amp and then keep the 6x9's for rear fill running off the headunit. you would probably want to fade it more to the front.

Probably overkill having 6x9's for rear fill but if you have already fitted them, then what the hell.

As far as just 6x9's and a sub not that keen myself but each to their own.

10. lee_car

lee_car

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    or you could just keep the 6 x 9's and go for a free air sub in the shelf as well, but i would make a new shelf out of mdf to take the weight
    lee

11. StuD19

StuD19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Either box up your 6"x9"s and get a sub in a ported box which will give you a much deeper drone to your bass, good for if you listen to a lot of hip hop type beats. Or if you want a punchier bass then just leave them as they are and get a sealed box which i great for dance beats and tighter bass. This way there is not as much air movement in the boot. I'm currently doing a major project on a Mk2 Golf and the only way to get 100% out of the speaker is to give it it's own air space. So if you want true sound it's not easy! there's no simple way to modify any part of a car stereo apart from the head unit!! Good luck.
    Stuart D :cool:

12. Rob_Quads

Rob_Quads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Always go for a set of decent comps and sub rather than 6x9s and sub.

Heres a good test to give you something to think about as to why not to put 6x9s &subs together. Disconnect your 6x9s but leave them in place. Turn on the system and play some tunes nice and loud.
    Now watch the cones on the 6x9s - you will notice them moving a hell of a lot as each time the sub moves he air in the boot it will be causing the 6x9 cones to move.
    Now think about what would be happening if you had 6x9s in there. They would be working against the sub i.e. battling each other and causing loads of distorsion.

Take my word for it I have been there done it got the t-shirt and now know. I wish I had been told so I did not waste the money on 6x9s. You would be amazed what a single set of comps and sub can sound like

13. skap7309

skap7309

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    trashbat your obviously a bass head are you? Well so am i but when i listen to music i like to hear the FULL sound range with stunning clarity, hence the typical 'windows down, system up' is for 12 year olds.

I went for kenwood dualmags coaxials in the front doors, to bring the soundstage up alpine tweeters in line just below the window and more dualmags in the rear quarter panels. People in the back have mentioned how good the rears sound where they are, and i suppose i was lucky to have a decent factory fit area. 10 inch sub and amp in the boot and the bass/mid/treble balance is excellent and UNDISORTED.

personally im not a fan of 6x9s especially with a sub pushing air from below them, dont do it!

14. trashbat

trashbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah but thats what im trying to say. if you lose a bit out of the shelf (MDF builds only as you need some support),this allows the pressure in the boot to pretty much stay the same. hence you get the power of the 6x9s and subs with no distorsion.

i wish people would read post properly as to see what i explained. only a complete retard would do it without "porting" the shelf. these can sound good when done properly i should know i've been doing it like this for years. :devil:

15. Rob_Quads

Rob_Quads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Sorry trashbat but even with a 'ported' boot space you will still get distorsion in the shelf. The pressure build up on a hard hitting note is more than is going to escape through the gap to result in no adverse affects on the 6x9s - as said even with a port do the test i am mentioned. If the cones move then its going to affect the way they sound.

Save money on 6x9s, invest in better front comps and if possible and amp and you will be blown away. My old car had a set of 3-ways in the front and a single sub and (OK middle/high range) but it blew away many mid range systems where they had 'wasted' money on lots of parts of the system. If your front end is good enough then even in the rear you will be able to hear it fine.

16. skap7309

skap7309

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    fair enough trashbat, each to their own and all that, but, you obviously have always had this type of install and stick by it saying dont knock it until youve tried it but have you considered how much better yours would sound if done how everyone else is suggesting?

i am one of very few round my way that doesnt have your suggested install and as i said people comment on the quality of sound as each speaker is doing its job shielded from the rest.
    personally i cringe when i see a pair of 6x9s lurking on a parcel shelf cos theres usually a sub to go with it and i still havent heard a decent setup this way. not knocking you at all, just saying

17. critch

critch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry trashbat i agree with with everyone else, if you look @ any competition standard system no one uses 6x9s with subs, they use 6 inch and other components. i would not bother its not worth the effort, go with some subs for the bass and components fot the middle and upper range you will get a far better result