Should I get a second hand JVC X95R or an Epson TW9300 used?

Sephiroth2k

My budget is around £1300 and I have an offer from two local sellers, the JVC X95R is being sold for £650 and the Epson is £1250. I have a bat cave room, my screen is grey and the size is 100". I mainly watch 4k and blu ray movies as well as some Netflix.

Which projector would you guys recommend. For me the number one thing in projector is contrast and black levels. Which projector would have the better black level of the two in a bat cave environment? Which one would you guys pick? Thanks all

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Simples :thumbsup: the JVC will have the better blacks full stop😁 the Epson will be brighter and has the better contrast ratio (1 million:1 v 130k:1). They both have e-shift so can handle 4k input but the JVC will have the better lens although the Epson will be a bit sharper but the JVC has a lower black floor level.

The Epson being brighter will be better with HDR but other than that I would still pic the JVC. Both these pj's are pretty old and repairs will be more costly with the JVC along with higher bulb cost as Epson bulbs are much cheaper.

Sephiroth2k

Simples :thumbsup: the JVC will have the better blacks full stop😁 the Epson will be brighter and has the better contrast ratio (1 million:1 v 130k:1). They both have e-shift so can handle 4k input but the JVC will have the better lens although the Epson will be a bit sharper but the JVC has a lower black floor level.

The Epson being brighter will be better with HDR but other than that I would still pic the JVC. Both these pj's are pretty old and repairs will be more costly with the JVC along with higher bulb cost as Epson bulbs are much cheaper.
Thanks for the tips, I just love a good black level performance so I will go for the JVC. I am used to watching Oled tv's so black level is very important to me. With respect to the Epsons dynamic and JVCs native contrast ratio would the black scenes appear much better on the JVC?

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I think the Epson will look slightly sharper as the JVC has a more filmic look but the blacks will be better with the JVC of that I am confident.

Paul Smith

Contrary to what has been said above, if handling a 4K signal is of importance then you'd be better off skipping the JVC.
They are great projectors but are only 1080p machines really. They do have e-shift but can only accept a 1080p input signal (not 4K).
If you're wanting a good usable 4k input on a JVC then better to look at JVC-X?000 range onwards.
I say this as I have both a X7000 and X75.

Speaking of the TW9300 I sold my TW9300W for £1000 last year, so I think around that mark would be a more usual price.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member

I don't think the Epson will have a better contrast ratio.

I think you need to read the real-world measurements of both devices. No doubt in my mind the JVC will have a on/off contrast ratio which destroys the Epson. Roughly 40,000:1 to 3,500:1 fully open iris. I would not trust manufacturer specifications but instead independant measurements. Epson are notorious for stupid quoted measurements (e.g. 2.5 million to 1 LS12000).

Sephiroth2k

Contrary to what has been said above, if handling a 4K signal is of importance then you'd be better off skipping the JVC.
They are great projectors but are only 1080p machines really. They do have e-shift but can only accept a 1080p input signal (not 4K).
If you're wanting a good usable 4k input on a JVC then better to look at JVC-X?000 range onwards.

Speaking of the TW9300 I sold my TW9300W for £1000 last year, so I think around that mark would be a more usual price.
Thanks for the info. Quick question, which projector has the better black levels the X75 or the TW9300?

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the info. Quick question, which projector has the better black levels the X75 or the TW9300?
X75. Epson is way behind JVC in black levels to the extent you should not compare them. Worlds apart.

Paul Smith

Assuming a golden sample of a TW9300 the X75 would still beat it for black level, not by a massive amount but good enough to be easily noticeable in a side by side comparison. If talking about an average example then that gap would obviously widen.

Also I found the iris on the TW9300 to not be as good as on the Epson model it replaced, drawing attention to itself a little too much for my liking.
No such problem on the JVC as it has no dynamic iris.

Only potential issue would be whether the JVC has enough light on your grey screen, if it has a very low gain?
With that in mind it's also worth making sure you get one with with an original bulb and preferably low hours, especially as replacements are not cheap..

Sephiroth2k

Assuming a golden sample of a TW9300 the X75 would still beat it for black level, not by a massive amount but good enough to be easily noticeable in a side by side comparison. If talking about an average example then that gap would obviously widen.

Also I found the iris on the TW9300 to not be as good as on the Epson model it replaced, drawing attention to itself a little too much for my liking.
No such problem on the JVC as it has no dynamic iris.

Only potential issue would be whether the JVC has enough light on your grey screen, if it has a very low gain?
With that in mind it's also worth making sure you get one with with an original bulb and preferably low hours, especially as replacements are not cheap..
Thanks for the tips, are there any projector screens you would recommend for getting great black levels, for example is an ALR screen better for contrast/black level than a typical grey screen? Cheers

Paul Smith

If you're after the deepest blacks then your grey screen is probably along the right lines,
however it will also dull the whites, perhaps robbing the picture of pop and bringing the peak brightness down below optimum levels with a X95.
It's all dependent on various aspects, such as the projector's inherent brightness (with JVC like many other makers brightness and contrast can vary to quite a degree between individual unit samples), bulb life, screen gain, image throw, etc....

Best way is to try it and see, if you need more pop then consider changing the grey screen, if not then just enjoy what you have.
Personally I usually go for a simple 1.0 gain white screen as I tend to view in bat cave conditions and it has the least compromises.

ALR is usually reserved for use in less optimum (bat cave) conditions, where light control is more of a issue.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
My budget is around £1300 and I have an offer from two local sellers, the JVC X95R is being sold for £650 and the Epson is £1250. I have a bat cave room, my screen is grey and the size is 100". I mainly watch 4k and blu ray movies as well as some Netflix.

Which projector would you guys recommend. For me the number one thing in projector is contrast and black levels. Which projector would have the better black level of the two in a bat cave environment? Which one would you guys pick? Thanks all

Why do you have a bat cave room and a grey screen?

Can you post photos of your room? Makes it way easier to reccomend as people's definitions of 'bat cave' are pretty loose.

Sephiroth2k

On my previous white screen the blacks looked a bit grey. That is why I got a grey screen as the blacks are much better now. Everything in the room is black aside from the wooden floor, door and beige carpet. The curtains are black velvet.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
On my previous white screen the blacks looked a bit grey. That is why I got a grey screen as the blacks are much better now. Everything in the room is black aside from the wooden floor, door and beige carpet. The curtains are black velvet.
beige carpet = not a bat cave. Will be a massive source of reflections.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I will get a black carpet, what about the door and part of the floor are both oak wood? The floor takes up half the room the other half is covered by the carpet.
show some photos mate

alebonau

Distinguished Member
probably more due to projector used ? the room sounds good overall :) id stick with a white screen and jvc or epson. there is no need to give up whites for greys instead. paul smith is spot on in all comments.

as per advice above... for pure picture quality the jvc x95... even though now very aged in picture quality it is superior.. it is a very old projector now though.. so would not buy unless checking out first hand. the x95 cant handle 4k uhd so its 1080p only. there is no 4k uhd input or anything

the 9300 is a early gen hdmi 4k chipset machine. it is still l1080p but pixel shifts to take detail further. its hdmi though is limited

alebonau

Distinguished Member
this is correct, i am past owner of x7000 and x35 prior to that.

if buying used now ... overall id aim for a x?000 machine instead if possible.. the x35/75/95 are getting on a bit and it might be a struggle to find a good example.

Sephiroth2k

Attachments

• 20220329_015934.jpg
    20220329_015934.jpg
    438.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 20220329_020355.jpg
    20220329_020355.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220329_020532.jpg
    20220329_020532.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220329_015919.jpg
    20220329_015919.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220329_021035.jpg
    20220329_021035.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 24

Sephiroth2k

probably more due to projector used ? the room sounds good overall :) id stick with a white screen and jvc or epson. there is no need to give up whites for greys instead. paul smith is spot on in all comments.

as per advice above... for pure picture quality the jvc x95... even though now very aged in picture quality it is superior.. it is a very old projector now though.. so would not buy unless checking out first hand. the x95 cant handle 4k uhd so its 1080p only. there is no 4k uhd input or anything

the 9300 is a early gen hdmi 4k chipset machine. it is still l1080p but pixel shifts to take detail further. its hdmi though is limited
Is there any good white screen you can recommend? Max budget is around £500. I might checkout my local Richer Sounds to browse for screens.

alebonau

Distinguished Member
Is there any good white screen you can recommend? Max budget is around £500. I might checkout my local Richer Sounds to browse for screens.
at a minimum id look at Grandview :) they are pretty good for money. richer sounds i am sure would have suitable options :) they would be packaging screens with projectors like what considering.. all the time :)

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
@Sephiroth2k , looking at your photos, I'd say its not strictly a batcave. Its well treated but its still got tonnes of potential for ambient light bouncing around.

This is a batcave: Shed of Darkness 9.4.6

If you want to upgrade your room treatments, MVEL/Velvet should be your next port of call, especially 1M-2M out from the screen. It'll do massive benefits for your perceived contrast as the black paint will still reflect and bounce paint around the room as its essentially just grey. The floor is a gigantic source of reflections too.

These are reasons why you might not be happy with the current black-levels in your room.

A grey screen, if you don't want to treat the room, will lower the gain but at the cost of brightness and its very difficult to re-gain the brightness of the whites with it. You also lose down on contrast you would have got by clamping down the iris.

Is there an option of waiting for a JVC in the £1000-£1300 price bracket to pop up? An X7900 or X7500 or X7000 will tick your boxes for lumen output and will have substantially better contrast, pixel fill, motion and blacks than the Epson, but lose out on perceived sharpness.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I would not change your screen until you have your chosen PJ in place. Then you can get samples and compare.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for September 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
ASUS unveils new 4K OLED gaming monitors
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Disney+ confirms price increases coming in December
  • By Ian Collen