Should I get a Prescott CPU?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Dr.Rock, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Does anyone know what the advantage of Intel's new "Prescott" CPU? I expected it to run at lease at same speed as it's Northwood siblings, but faster for certain applications that utilise the new instructions included in the Prescotts. In fact, it's 1 MB cache should make it a faster processor. However, benchmarks have proved the processor to be SLOWER than its Northwood predecessor on most applications, despite the extra money the consumer has to pay for the Prescott. Can someone please advise me on this, so I can choose a CPU for the new computer I'm building? I want to choose something that's fast and future-proof. Should I stear clear of the Prescott?

Thanks.

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I can't get the image of John Presott out of my mind - ughh!

3. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    At the moment, they are hotter and slower than the same speed Northwood CPUs.

It's the same situation as when the original P4 was released. Despite being clocked slightly higher, they were slower than the P3s.

The Prescotts will pick up in time, but software will need to be optimsed and clock speeds will need to go up first.

Intel are also changing the way they name their CPUs so the actual speed now won't be as important in the naming. They'll give them a code that's made up from the speed, bus speed and so-on.

They do run very very hot as well. Stock speeds shouldn't be too much of a problem, but if you're into overclocking, then it really isn't advisable. Some mobo manufacturers are actually disabling overclocking in the BIOS if they detect that a Prescott is installed. Simply because they're worried about the heat melting parts of the motherboard!

I was in a similar boat to you, and just last week bought an ABIT IC7 mobo and a 3.2GHz Northwood P4. At that speed, it will last me for a while, and I don't have to run the risk of small fires on my motherboard :)

4. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    There are certainly teething problems with Prescott.
    On the current manufacturing process used it's a power hog and gets very hot.
    You need a good PSU (500 watt or more preferred with 25 A or more 12V source capability) and good cooling.
    Don't expect to be able to use HT (HyperThreading) unless both the motherboard and your OS supports it Win2000/WinXP).
    It'll be a little while before much software appears to take advantage of its huge pipeline etc.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.