1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I fit my surround speakers near to ceiling?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by woody67, Nov 21, 2004.

1. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I know about the recommended position for surround speakers, but my room design, kids and aesthetics would require them to be fitted near to the ceiling at the corners of the room. They are nice small 'pod' type so unobtrusive

This could be just the rear two, but I may want the front ones up there too.

It would be difficult to test this layout without actually drilling and fixing them, so I wondered if anyone has their speakers mounted here and can comment on the sound.

I'm not really after perfect sound, just nice and effective.

Cheers

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The rears should be ok in the corners but try and bring them about a foot down from the ceiling if possible.

The fronts will cause more of a problem. The centre speaker needs to be on or under the TV as this speaker has the important job of locking the dialogue to the screen. The left and right speakers should be at roughly the same height as the centre otherwise voices and sounds panning from the centre outwards will gain height and someone standing and talkinging to the kleft of the screen will have his voice hanging from the ceiling.