• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Should I expect some motion blur on a 47" 1080p LCD TV?

zonin2000

Standard Member
Hey

I've recently bought a 47" LG LF7700 LCD and I am very happy with it so far. There were some initial issues on SD broadcasts and PS3, but having adjusted the picture settings, everything is radically improved.

I'm getting Sky HD installed at the weekend, but for tonight's (or last night's given it's 00:30 now) Carling Cup Semi between Man City and Man Utd, I decided to set up freesat (the TV has integrated freesat) to watch on BBC HD. I have low signal strength (40%) and quality (60%), but the picture seemed fine.

I did however notice the occasional slight motion blur, usually when the ball was hit long, or hard, whilst the camera was panning. Nothing major in the slightest, but it wasn't a 100% 'perfect' picture. Is this to be expected, be it as a result of the broadcast / filming, or is this an LCD issue (would you notice this slight blur on a Plasma?) or even an issue with my TV or settings? I do also sit perhaps slightly too close to my TV.

I must say nearly everything else was pretty perfect, bar the odd crowd shot which was slightly dull or blurry (I imagine a camera issue) and one shot of the pundits in the studio (in this case I'm pretty sure it was a bug with the camera, the close ups were immaculate).

muckybucket

You get motion blur with both LCDs and Plasmas to a certain extent but historically has been worse with LCDs.

However, the technology is catching up so there is not too much difference. The refresh rate of the TV will reduce the effect (yours is 100hz, 200 can help) but it is not as clear-cut as that...

But the message is: expect some!

zonin2000

Standard Member
You get motion blur with both LCDs and Plasmas to a certain extent but historically has been worse with LCDs.

However, the technology is catching up so there is not too much difference. The refresh rate of the TV will reduce the effect (yours is 100hz, 200 can help) but it is not as clear-cut as that...

But the message is: expect some!

Cool. Personally I've never really believed in the 100/200hz technology, as all this really does is add frames to the picture to give the impression of smoothing it out. I feel like a get a better picture with 'TruMotion' set to off.

Just to reiterate though, the picture was pretty perfect, the ball just appeared blurred sometimes, but no more than it would do when viewed from the same angle in real life. I've just become so paranoid about the concept of motion blur on LCDs from having read about it.

muckybucket

I think the technology itself is confusing, as I have read somewhere that the eye cannot perceive frequencies beyond a certain level so makes no difference, though If blurring occurs it can only be because pixels or not changing quickly enough, so is all a bit confusing really!

Have you got a full HD TV running at 1080p out of interest? 1080i is supposed to lead to a little more blurring potentially...

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom