Should I escalate my complaint to the financial ombudsman

markie g

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bit of a long story short I applied for a credit card at the end of July and due to the incompetent at the card company my application got stuck within the system. I've had absolutely zero contact from the card company during this process and was me having to call and chase every step of the way.

3 calls (over 2hrs total) and 1 month later i still hadn't had a decision on my application so i raised a complaint thinking this would speed up the process.

Another 3 calls (again about 1.5hrs total) and another 15 days later i still had no update on my application but promised my complaint would be resolved by the 1st Oct.

I eventually received my card (about 55 days from the original application) and everything is fine but my complaint still hasn't been dealt with. I've received another letter today stating that my complaint will now be dealt with by mid November. The complaint is now 57 days old so i'm within my right to take this up with the financial ombudsman, but my question is am i better waiting out the complaint with the card company or raising with the FO?

I needed the card fairly quick, so this has had some impact on me (I had to borrow money from family), and my main issue is I work away a lot and meant i spend majority of my inclusive minutes of my mobile plan calling the card company so looking for at least 2x months phone contract bill covered as compensation... but the way i've been messed about makes me think of going with the FO for max compensation.

in short, No.

They are under no obligation to even provide you a credit card after you have applied. You could have pulled out of the application at no cost besides your time and minutes on your mobile.

Borrowing money from family or freinds isn't their problem.

Last edited:
Personally I'd have given up on the application and gone elsewhere but I'm going to guess that this isn't a run of the mill credit card?

Personally I'd have given up on the application and gone elsewhere but I'm going to guess that this isn't a run of the mill credit card?
This is just a typical credit card (my first one ever). I bank with this company so thought i'd be an easy process.

In hindsight i should of gone else where, but when you ring several times and get told 'We don't need any thing from you at this moment', 'Your application is processing, it can take another 5-7 working days'... these days turn into weeks, these weeks into months.

You should name and shame so everyone can avoid them.

Every card application I've ever done has been approved there and then, live, online, and the card has plopped through the door a few days later. Some even give you the card number instantly!

It sounds like your bank is stuck in the dark ages.

But still, expecting them to pay for two months of your mobile phone contract because you had to make a couple of phone calls will be a hiding to nothing. You might squeeze something out of them a a goodwill gesture, but this is not a matter for the ombudsman. It is a total waste of their time.

Which credit card provider please?

Move on, nothing will be gained by taking this any further.

I'm amazed at your patience. Credit card providers are two a penny, so after a couple of weeks I would have gone elsewhere.

Lifes too short dude, just let it be, you will have my more fights to have with big companies in your life, save your energy for those that matter.

Stick with the banks complaint process for now. See if you can use the threat of the financial ombudsman as leverage to get a decision today. Get on the phone and just refuse to get off the phone until they have resolved your matter. Don’t lose your patience and be firm but fair and they’ll eventually cough up the compensation.

Compensation for what?

Being messed around, Whether he was going to be given a card or not their customer service has been appalling and he should be compensated for his time, distress and cost of phone calls.

If filling in a credit card application can cause distress you shouldn’t even attempt it.
fact is they’re under no obligation to give you a credit card. You want their services.
FOS is there for genuine claims not because a credit card application took longer than expected and it caused you to get upset by it.

I applied for a new CC online today. Took five minutes to be approved.

5 minutes of your life you'll never get back.

Demand a stewards inquiry and to speak to the CFO. If it's a woman call her a slut, if it's a man, call him a slut-man-slapper tart.

*The above advice is not endorsed by Stuart Wright, the AVF forum, it's staff, any of SW's family, his friends, his barber or anyone with a single ounce of common sense.

Yes the OP could have gone elsewhere, but he demonstrated loyalty to his long-time bank. That ought to be in the conversation he has with their complaints department.
As well as that he was told the application was in process, at which point if they'd told him it was delayed he could have gone elsewhere then too.

5 minutes of your life you'll never get back.

Demand a stewards inquiry and to speak to the CFO. If it's a woman call her a slut, if it's a man, call him a slut-man-slapper tart.

*The above advice is not endorsed by Stuart Wright, the AVF forum, it's staff, any of SW's family, his friends, his barber or anyone with a single ounce of common sense.
Just as well you added that little codicil - there are some who tend to take posts quite literally :rotfl:

Call the FO and talk. I raised complaints a year or so ago over delayed ISA transfers for me and the missus and the chap I dealt with was outstanding - professional, honest, attentive. So good at the end of the process I wrote to the CEO of the service because I'd started out with such low expectations.

My issue was not even getting responses from the organisation in question (Cofunds). I wrote direct to their CEO who didn't reply but they did unbeknown to me instigate significant compensation payments. By the time the FO got involved they were in progress and thereafter they only adjudicated if the sum was commensurate or not. It was - £200 each.

^Presumably that compensation was because you lost out on interest (hence a financial loss), & also as they had accepted your ISA transfer, they have certain legal obligations to process that in a certain number of days, hence why the FO would be involved.

Nothing in the OP scenario is similar to your example.

A bit of a long story short I applied for a credit card at the end of July and due to the incompetent at the card company my application got stuck within the system. I've had absolutely zero contact from the card company during this process and was me having to call and chase every step of the way.

3 calls (over 2hrs total) and 1 month later i still hadn't had a decision on my application so i raised a complaint thinking this would speed up the process.

Another 3 calls (again about 1.5hrs total) and another 15 days later i still had no update on my application but promised my complaint would be resolved by the 1st Oct.

I eventually received my card (about 55 days from the original application) and everything is fine but my complaint still hasn't been dealt with. I've received another letter today stating that my complaint will now be dealt with by mid November. The complaint is now 57 days old so i'm within my right to take this up with the financial ombudsman, but my question is am i better waiting out the complaint with the card company or raising with the FO?

I needed the card fairly quick, so this has had some impact on me (I had to borrow money from family), and my main issue is I work away a lot and meant i spend majority of my inclusive minutes of my mobile plan calling the card company so looking for at least 2x months phone contract bill covered as compensation... but the way i've been messed about makes me think of going with the FO for max compensation.

If this is your first ever CC application, am I correct in believing that you have no credit history?

Yes the OP could have gone elsewhere, but he demonstrated loyalty to his long-time bank. That ought to be in the conversation he has with their complaints department.
As well as that he was told the application was in process, at which point if they'd told him it was delayed he could have gone elsewhere then too.

What conversation? No one has a right to a credit card. No provider is obliged to provide an applicant with one. Loyalty to a bank/card provider/insurance company/supermarket is a personal decision.

The OP has no grounds for a complaint. He could apply for a card with any other provider at any time before, during, and after the application.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom