1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should i ditched the tuner and get a terminal board instead?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by SNICK, Jan 22, 2004.

1. SNICK

SNICK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Recently acquired a panny pwd6 - which came complete with a TU600 tuner and terminal board (not bad for all in 1999! inc stand).

Should I consider ditching this and getting a RGB board instead (TY 42TM6T) and connect all my equipment via a scart splitter ? will i notice a significant difference in pic quality? Also believe i'll be able to fine tune the monitor better than via the tuner box.

opinions?

2. Helterskelter

Helterskelter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where did you get it for £1999?
    Was that inc VAT and Delivery?
    What colour is it?
    Is it brand you or Ex demo?
    P.S I don't know the answer to your original question, but I do know it is cheap, surley must be a catch?

3. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I would recommend getting a component terminal board (I've got one on my panny 4-series).

I just think the tuner box would add an extra level of processing between your DVD player and the panel. I would think it's preferable to have as direct a conection as possible. I also think component connections would give you noticeably better PQ than SCART.

4. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    I have both SCART and component boards.

Component is a better way of connecting your DVD player if you can do this, but you will probably find you will need SCART for Freeview/consoles etc

5. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Yes, good point, sorry I forgot to mention that I was using a RGB SCART to VGA converter (John Sim) which was commonly talked about on these forums a while back. The reason was that until recently most plasma screens were business-oriented - they came with a VGA (computer monitor) input, but no SCART input.

As plasmas become more popular with home users, the manufacturers are making them more user-friendly with more connectivity options...

6. SNICK

SNICK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks Guys - i work for Tesco - they bought a shed load, and then decided not to put in all our big stores - then sold them on to staff - all brand new and boxed