Should I ditch panasonic dvdres15?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gardnt1, Aug 5, 2006.

1. gardnt1

gardnt1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

after searching high and low through forumw and having bought this panasonic res15 it appears though it may not have been the 'best' thing i have done!!
    I am getting really confused over this RGB input or lack of it!

Is it nowadays necessary to have rgb in with a sky + box and jvc widescreen tv or am i being too particular?

The shop will have it back, less delivery, and i can get a new panasonic res10multiregion for about £145.................please advise a very indecisive newbie!!

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,150
    It is entirely personal.
    If when it is conected up you find the quality satisfactory , then sit back and enjoy it and don't give it another thought.

If you want to pay more to get a small percentage increase in quality, then go for it.

Don't worry whether it is the 'best' thing you've ever done.
    It is foolish only to pay over the odds for something you may not need.

3. ChainsawDude

ChainsawDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Summary: return the ES15.

It works like this. The SKY+ box has two scart outputs, one of which is RGB enabled. If you set this port to enable RGB on the sky+ box, use a fully wired scart cable into a DVD recorder with RGB in, then you will see a noticeable improvement in the picture quality i.e. not just academic but instantly noticeable by the human eye. It has got to be worth it, why have a DVD recorder and make recordings that look like they were done on VHS?

NB the recorder should also have RGB pass through so the TV can watch RGB quality passed through the DVD recorder, i.e. you would connect the TV output of sky+ to DVDR input and then DVDR output to TV input and you would not use the non RGB scart output of the sky+ box (this one is labelled VCR).

Most recorders do have both RGB input and pass through. Sony do, Panasonic do, Pioneer do, LiteOn, Philips do. I had a nice Hitachi recorder which did not and when I saw the difference, I sent it back. The shop (John Lewis) gave me a refund accepting that no RGB input was a big ommision.

If you try recording the SKY planner as a test and look at the quality of the text. With RGB it looks like the original, without RGB it looks very smudged.

HTH

4. gardnt1

gardnt1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, all very helpful. I have returned the res15 today and purchased a multiregion RES10 which does have RGB input and RGB out, and feel a lot happier!!

Picture looks good with dvdr off so assume RGB pass through!

Thanks again.

5. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,150
    Result! - Good News.