1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I ditch Pace Twin for Sky+

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Rob100, Apr 20, 2003.

1. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    As subject... Bascially after just over 2 weeks I've just about had enough of the Pace Twin failing to record programs and having to watch that awfully soft picture.

Now I know the Sky+ box is made by Pace (which makes me hesitant), but I'm starting to wish I'd got Sky+ now.

Are there any on-going problems with Sky+ that I should be aware of? How is the PQ of these boxes?

Can someone confirm costs to me. I see that they now do the box for £199 and £10 per month, but is that it? I always had it in my mind that you also had to pay 2 subscriptions?

One thing that annoyed me with the Pace Twin is that when it did record because the guide is not 101% in-time what's currently on you could easily miss the start or end of a program. Does Sky+ compensate for this? Can you set recordings "manually" by date/time or only by selecting in the guide?

I'm sure that's enough questions for now.

Thanks in advance,

Rob.

2. Ridcully

Ridcully

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    There does appear to be quality probs on the boxes. The main problem seems to be they are very temperature sensitive and so don't like being in enclosed areas

You also need to pay for the installation. The £10 is for the Sky+ functionality so if you want to receive the other Sky channels (non FTA) you still need to pay the Sky sub.

Many people have complained about the reliabilty of the SKY+ EPG. Manual recording is now possilbe as is the ability to pad the timings. However to me this is just a fudge. If my VCR using PDC can get it right everytime so should Sky+.

3. Fairzo

Fairzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had Sky+ about 9 months and couldn't be more pleased with it. Picture and sound quality fine. Recommended.

4. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Isn't PDC very hit and miss ?
    Before having Sky+ / Tivos I used to complain about failed PDC recordings to the dealer who supplied the VCR, the advice given by the dealer, the maker and the broadcaster was " to switch off PDC to prevent failed recordings ".
    This was over two years ago now but I guessed the PDC situation had worsened since, what with the digital channels and all.
    If it works for you that's great :) .

5. Ridcully

Ridcully

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    This has come up several times on this forum. Becasue I now have Sky i can't use PDC, so its possible that its gone down hill in the past couple of years I would not have noticed. Also from other comments Panasonic VCRs are much more reliable with PDC than others.

Everyone to their own experience. PDC worked for me and never failed. Indeed the main reason for wanting a PVR is the fact that many Sky channels get their timing wrong and I can't use PDC. At least with a PVR I can then cut of the padding bits when I archive to tape. Until Sky+ can get the performance that I did have on analogue with PDC, its a backward step for me and I certaianly don't see why I should have to pay £10 for that 'privalige'

6. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Thanks for replies so far... :)

Can you edit recordings made with Sky+ (trim start/end and cut ads?).

Thanks,

Rob.

7. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Not within Sky+, but obviously you can edit when copying to VHS or DVD as normal.

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    The picture quality is indistinguishable from watching it live, i.e. it doesn't process the bitstream to reduce its file size. I think it's a good piece of kit and I haven't had any problems with it.

Are you refering to the Pace Twin Tuner Freeview unit? I was thinking of getting it but this doesn't sound good.

9. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Yes I am talking about the Pace Twin Freeview unit. It has many problems and until Pace sort it out I wouldn't touch it if I was you. Great idea, but seems a little rushed (although 3 months or so late!).

Rob.

10. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    If you are only really interested in recording "free" channels then it's probably worth waitign to see the Thomson and Humax hard drive based recorders for Freeview due out later in the year.
    While SKY+ has proven itself in my home paying £10 a month to record just he FTA/FTV channels would be unacceptable at least to me.