Should I charge for School Photos?

sivraj494

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.

Following on from the thread. Due to it being closed, due to rude people.

I did a photo shoot for my school earlier. Basically it consisted of taking 3 pictures of my entire year including form tutors. This took about 25 minutes. When I got home I downloaded the pictures and have been converting them from RAW to TIFF then editing them, and finally converting to JPEG. This took me from 15:30 this afternoon till 19:10 this evening.

Should I charge my school? Also how much if I should?

The pictures are for my Yearbook.

Cheers, Jarvis

Jarvis
I'll stick by my earlier reply in said thread

Jarvis
Depends; were you expecting to be paid and was money discussed at anytime?
I've done lots of little jobs for friends and work and payment needs to be discussed from the off if that's why you're doing it, if not then its a lesson learnt for next time

Quoting from your reply in the earlier thread you said

I did ask my head of year if I could be paid and he said it would be considered. I am not expecting to be paid a lot, probably about £10, i know it's not alot but i did do quite a bit of work.

Considered imo is not a contract mate :thumbsdow

Personally I would (as I always do ;) ) do the best job possible with the pictures that you took and if everyone (the head) is happy then it makes parting with the readies so much easier :smashin:

If they still have to consider then as I said earlier, chalk it up to experience ;)

I assume it never came up when you were asked if you would do it, or when you volunteered your services.

I think that you should raise it with whoever you discussed it with in the first place.
It may be that he/she assumes you will put in a bill.

If they thought you you were volunteering your services then I would probably not charge on this occasion, but make it known, in the nicest possible way, that you would be prepared to do it in the future, but would like to be reimbursed for time and materials.
If you charge a competitive rate then the school will feel better about asking you in the future. It puts it on a sensible financial basis and stops whoever from feeling too embarassed to ask.

Well they can hardly expell me for billing them now can they? Hehe

Well they can hardly expell me for billing them now can they? Hehe
Are you just going to give them a single set of prints or the actual jpegs. Personally I would allow them to use the files for the yearbook only as agreed but specify that they're not for use elsewhere. If they want copies or further prints then you can charge them for that.

I was thinkin along the exact lines that you have said Neil. I was confirm tomorrow how they want them. At the same time I will specify that they can only be used for this purpose, if they want to use them for anything else, then they will have to seek permission from me.

If you're going to stipulate any conditions on use then get in writing ;)

If you're going to stipulate any conditions on use then get in writing ;)

Ok thanks for that Zone. This has definitely taught me a lesson that I should confirm stuff before I commence the work.

Jarvis

To be honest, if you didnt discuss it before hand then it is a bit wrong to try and impose anything afterwards.... they may well have had the intention of using it for other things too and it is going to be a pain for everyone to potentially have to do the whole thing again.

Put it down to experience and just have it as one of those things that makes you look in a good light when the school comes to write references for you

You obviously need compensating for any materials used etc, however, when youre talking about billing your school for your time and you are a pupil at that school, then that just dont sit right with me, as a parent who regularly volunteers my time and effort to my childrens school.

I would just take it as a compliment that you were considered good enough for the school to ask you to do the shots and next time you attend a free after school club or event, you can just enjoy that fuzzy warm feeling that you have contributed to a school that is helping to arm you with a good education.

well done m8:clap:

As others have said, you should have discussed payment before doing the job, simple as that. To be honest, if all you were thinking of charging was £10 then I really think that maybe you are getting a little highly strung about it anyway.

Get them to credit you in the year book and add it to your portfolio of work ;)

Well done for effort and I hope it is recognised somewhow:smashin:

Unless you are out of pocket for doing it , Perhaps you should not charge but make it be known that you can do similar things for a little spare cash. If any charge is to be made, just cover your costs so as not to feel "ripped off" but remember there was no prior contract

If your effort is good people will pay and encourage you now and later on when such services are required

In life sometimes doing things "gratis " has an unexpected way of paying for itself.
I recently did a video of My Childrens School ( and Church) Xmas Plays which would have some commercial value if I asked. Like you. I didn't ask for money up front but would not mind using the effort to raise money for the school and church if people wanted copies.

Your motivation may vary but if you intend to build a portfolio, bear in mind that in many professions, doing work for " free" does not demean its value

:offtopic: In the same school ( and church) I run free medical consultations as a contribution to the community

Well thanks for all the tips guys. I will deffinately make sure that next time I arrange stuff prior to actually taking the photos. I have not charged the school for the work that I have done.

My head of year and head teacher have both praised me for the work that I did and the quality of the photos. I have stipulated to my head of year that if he wants the photos to be used in anythign other than the year book then I need to be consulted.

I have also told them that I am fully willing to do other stuff for them, including stuff after I leave the school, which will be this summer.

Them asking me means that they actually value my photography experience.

This was the first time that i have actually done a shot whereby I had to arrange people in the shot so that it could be right. This has added to my experience, and made it very worthwhile.

Once again, thank you guys, for your help and advice.

I know it's sorted, but when we do stuff like this is our school, credit is given in the material, and you normally get a box of chocs or something similar from the person organising the project. Only financial reimbursement is if you specifically shell out money for that particular project.

Do we get to see the results? :D

erm yeah I will upload 1 of them later. The reason I am only going to do 1 is that 2 are the same basically, and the 3rd came out quite bad

I am having a little troble uploading it, and was wondering if anybody could tell me what I am doing wrong. I have uploaded the picture to flickr, it then says "Copy and paste this HTML into your webpage:" i take this code, and put it in, however it just pasted the code as the message and did not show the picture. why is this? and what am i doing wrong?

Cheers, Jarvis

I am having a little troble uploading it, and was wondering if anybody could tell me what I am doing wrong. I have uploaded the picture to flickr, it then says "Copy and paste this HTML into your webpage:" i take this code, and put it in, however it just pasted the code as the message and did not show the picture. why is this? and what am i doing wrong?

Cheers, Jarvis

Go to the Flickr page which allows you to view the different sizes of image, and at the bottom (underneath the HTML) you find a www address. Copy and paste that into the tags.

:smashin:

Okay so I have now managed to do it. Here is the picture. Please comment so that I can improve.

Cheers, Jarvis

328456938_fdc7039e54_o.jpg

Can you link to the full size image mate, that's a tad small for any serious analysis ;)

Still small but it looks to be well exposed, you have the usual, eyes closed, people smiling/not, bunny fingers at the back etc :thumbsup:

I think folks will like it :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom