Should i change my Onkyo 805 for Arcam 350?

Nick Webb

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

i've finally come to the conclusion that my Onkyo 805 just doesn't cut it with cd's. Due to the credit crunch i've sold my two channel system :( so i now need my av system to sound better with music.

I've seen an Arcam AVR 350 going cheap and wondered if that would be a good option. I see it doesn't support the bluray hd audio codecs which my Onkyo does. I'm going to replace my Samsung bluray and wondered if i bought a bluray player which supports the new hd codecs like the forthcoming Pioneer models would i then get the hd audio through the Arcam?

I've also seen Arcam Arcam DIVA AVP700 & P1000 going very cheap , would this be a better option? Ithink it may be overkill considering i'm only using satellite 5.1 speakers (Cabasse Eole £1400). My other kit is Pioneer 989 dvd player, Samsung 1500 bluray, Fujitsu 58 series plasma.

Also, how much should i advertise the Onlyo for? It's near mint and about two years old, i think i paid £900 for it?

Any advice/opinions most welcome.

Thanks,

Nick.

In order to get HD audio from the Arcam, your next bluray player will need full HD audio decoding and also multi-channel analogue outputs. The Arcams are cracking receivers. I would venture into the Arcam owners forum, although expect the opinions in there to be a slightly biased. :D

Hi, can you suggest any bluray players that provide this? Either out now or forthcoming?

I read somewhere that Pioneer were releasing some new players but can't seem to find anything on the net.

Nick.

I have a 350 and it is the best amp I have owned by a long way.
Players with analogue outputs include the Pioneer 51 and 71. Also all but the base sony and panasonics I believe have the same function.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom