1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I change my 805's for a pair of PMC GB1's

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Boozyuzi, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Boozyuzi

Boozyuzi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I've got a pair of B&W Nautilus 805's which occasionally sound a little bit forward (only occasionally tough) and I am in the early stages of thinking about changing them. I run them with a CD 7, Pre X/PSX-R and 2 x Mono X's. Chord Cables (Chorus and Odyssey 4).

I am thinking about getting a pair of PMC GB1's on home demo to see if I prefer them. It's early days as those evil upgrade thoughts are just starting to fester.

What do you reckon - good idea or nuts ?

My 805's are red cherry which is another reason for changing. If they were natural cherry then they would look better in the room and I would be more inclined to keep them. Maybe I should just trade them in for a pair of cherrywood 805S's.

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Boozyuzi - I am running the new 805S's and before them i was running a pair of ProAc Response D15's and i have to say they absolutely sing, the sound they produce with my Cyrus kit is spot on.
    I have never heard the PMC's before but if you could get a home demo then i suppose it would not hurt to try them but i would see if you could also dem the new B&W's aswell.

Regards
    John

3. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I heard those pmc's for around an hour on some really expensive kit yesterday. If you like heavy bass they can overdo things (with the transmission line). They are very neutral, very wide and they have a really easy and light sound to them, but i wouldn't recommend putting them on a really expensive kit. There are better speakers out there...the 47 labs i listened are absolutely magnificent!

4. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Quite agree. If you want really small speakers (with real bottom end) the 47 Labs stuff is ace.....and I love the look of their hardware, too. Comparing the GB1s with the 805s is a bit strange. They are so different. I think you may find the GB1s rather unsophisticated in comparison. Definitely try the new model 805s. I bet you buy them. They do bass much better and of course the treble is derived from the former signature series so even more "airy" and "sparkling." Im thinking of changing my 804s to 804S to achieve much the same improvement.
    If you want to try other standmounts, listen to the wilson benesch arc and perhaps the Dynaudio S1.4 and if you can afford them, the Focal-JMlab Micro Utopia Be.

5. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I've always liked the PMC speaker range. The FB1, OB1 and IB2's are all among the best in their respective price brackets.
    PMC speakers are very neutral and very dynamic. You hear what your system sounds like without frills. Basically if your system is set up right these speakers sing. They don't sound so good if the source, amps or material are flawed. That is all my opinion of course.
    But, I wasn't really taken by the GB1's. I found, even with a nicely balanced system, they lacked in the bass department and the treble wasn't as smooth as I was expecting.
    The JMLAB Micro Utopia's are a very nice standmount One of the best i've heard. Again a nice neutral speaker with excellent dynamics. It's the price of the stands that gets me......:suicide:

6. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the gb1's did have a smooth treble, just not a great integration of their drivers, the 47 labs had one of the sweetest crossovers i've ever heard (but then again they use one... The pmb'1 aren't agressive at all, far from that, so if you think the metal tweeter of the B&W is too much you might prefer it. Maybe check out the dynaudio's indeed (the 52se) or even some mini monitors like the spendor s3/5's or jean marie reynaud twin mk3's.