Question Should I change Marantz CD player for a Naim CD player

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Crazeenick, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Crazeenick

Crazeenick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I currently have a Marantz CD-17 Mark 2 KI Special Edition CD player, which I have had from new in 2001 and have been very pleased with.

The rest of my system is;

- Arcam A85 amp & Arcam P85 power amp (bi-amped)
    - Monitor Audio Silver 8i speakers
    - High quality inerconnects and speaker cables
    - Denon TU-1800DAB tuner

I have always hankered after trying a Naim CD player, as they are stated to have a very dynamic, rhythmical, natural musical sound. I am currently looking at a mint second-hand Naim CD5X on Ebay.

Do you think the Naim CD5x will be better than the Marantz? Have had conflicting views from friends. Have not yet found a Naim CD5x nearby that I can A-B directly with my Marantz.

Any views guys?

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,346
    Sounds like an advertising blurb lifted from a manufacturer's brochure.
    Don't fall for it.
    I doubt you'd notice any difference compared to the one you have IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +409
    No one is likely to be able to give you a right or wrong answer but if you've always wanted one and are buying at the right price, you shouldn't lose a fortune if you feel you've made a mistake and decide to sell it again. That said, looking at your system and having had a quick look on ebay to get an idea of what you might be paying for the player, I would consider spending the cash elsewhere. I had a pair of MA Silver 8i's (bi-amped with Arcam amps) and liked them very much indeed. They were my first MA speakers and I was so impressed that I quickly found myself wondering what their higher range speakers sounded like and bought some GR20's. The 8i's went straight up for sale once I tried the GRs and I never looked back. You're current cd player is a very good one by all accounts so I would have thought a speaker upgrade would give far better improvements for your pound. I know this isn't answering your question but just a thought that maybe you hadn't considered.

4. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +991
    I would reckon that, unless you are a true audiophile, the difference, if any, will be hardly noticeable and that therefore you'd be better off spending your hard earned cash elsewhere.

That said, best of luck with whatever you decide to do. :)

Martin.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  5. DT79

DT79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    I haven’t heard the Marantz, but have heard many price comparable CD players including the Naim, and while it may be different, I doubt it will be appreciably better. If I were you I would only do it if I were prepared to buy the Naim, compare the two and sell on the loser (potentially at a modest loss, even if it’s the Naim).

6. Crazeenick

Crazeenick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for everyone's advice and comments! Will ponder further...

If I can get a Naim 5Dx for a good price to compare with my Marantz, I may well follow DT79's advice.

Timmy's suggestion of upgrading the speakers to MA GR20s sounds interesting also!

Cheers guys!

7. ezav

ezav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have a Marantz CD-63 mk2 ki signature, and honestly I have not found something that sounds that much better to justify putting my hand in the pocket for that system (within a reasonable budget). Honestly, given that the ki signature are built like tanks, if yours is working well I think your best option to improve sound (if you are bored of the line level output of your CD) is to buy a good modern DAC that you can use with other stuff as well, and use your ki sig as a transport.

8. Crazeenick

Crazeenick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    An update - I changed my Monitor Audio Silver 8i speakers for MA GR20 speakers and am very pleased with that upgrade (thanks for the suggestion Timmy C!).

Then I bought a secondhand Naim CD5X off Ebay to A-B test against my Marantz CD17 MkII KI Signature. I think they are equally good, but slightly different and am now in a quandry which CD player to keep and which to sell!

I really like the warm (“analogue”) style of the Naim player – it is very easy to listen to, and somehow very “musical” (just as the Naim fans say!).

However, I find the slightly more “brightly lit” style of the Marantz player seems to have a little more excitement. The Naim player in comparison sounds a tiny bit restrained/polite? I wish I could take the best attributes of both players and blend them into one.

Most Naim CD player owners recommend upgrading the CD with a separate power supply – usually the Naim Flatcap2 in the case of the CD5X. Do folks think this would give my Naim CD5X that bit of extra “zing” so as to give me what the Marantz is giving me?

Another thought was to swap the Naim CD5X for a Naim CDX2, which some people describe as being slightly more bright/aggressive in style than the CD5X.

Any advice welcome!

9. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +409
    Glad you like the GR's! Given the secondhand prices I think they represent fantastic value for money.

I've always tried to keep clear of Naim gear for fear of falling into the upgrade path you are talking about and spending money I don't have. I know some swear by the stuff though but the only way to know if it's for you is to try.

I don't know if matching looks worry you or if you're happy to regularly chop and change just to see how you like things but have you ever tried an Arcam CD92? Looks wise it's deigned to match your amps and they sound very lovely indeed. There are a couple of companies that offer internal upgrade mods for them too if you found you liked it but wanted to get more from it.