• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Should I care about optical audio cables?

Confused1

Standard Member
Hey guys, noobie question probably, but please humour me.

I have a ps3 slim hooked up via hdmi to a 32" LCD. Is there any advantage in me buying a optical audio cable to connect the ps3 to the tv? Or is this more than taken care of via the hdmi cable?

Sebastalona

Distinguished Member
Hey guys, noobie question probably, but please humour me.

I have a ps3 slim hooked up via hdmi to a 32" LCD. Is there any advantage in me buying a optical audio cable to connect the ps3 to the tv? Or is this more than taken care of via the hdmi cable?

I'm pretty sure the optical connection on your TV will be for outputing an audio signal, not receiving one.

Stick with the HDMI, it's the best connection so you aren't missing out on anything.

Confused1

Standard Member
Thank you for your reply to my post. What you say makes perfect sense. I assume therefore that the optical cable is supposed to go to a external amplifier or surround sound system.

If I did have a surround sound system would I be best connecting it to the tv or to the ps3?

dwhite

Distinguished Member
You would be best going straight to the surround from the PS3, as it unlikely your TV will pass thru 5.1 audio form externally connected devices.

However, you could also get a surround system that accepts audio over HDMI, in that case you would use HDMI from PS3 to amp and HDMI from amp to the TV. This would give you access to the HD audio on bluray, which optical doesn't carry, assuming the amp you get can deal with it.

Sebastalona

Distinguished Member
Thank you for your reply to my post. What you say makes perfect sense. I assume therefore that the optical cable is supposed to go to a external amplifier or surround sound system.

If I did have a surround sound system would I be best connecting it to the tv or to the ps3?

No problem. As well as movies, a surround sound system really does add another dimension to your gaming. Being able to hear where a car is behind you during a race, or spinning around to nail someone who was trying to sneak up behind you in COD, it is brilliant.

Go for it!!

Confused1

Standard Member
Thank you for your answers.

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom