Should I care about digital vs analogue input?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Mags71, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Mags71

Mags71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm about to buy a new 2 channel amp and am looking for a few pointers.

I run a pair of old TDL RTL 3's which I really love and I learned the hard way last year that my previous amp, a budget Cambridge Audio didn't have enough power to drive them and destroyed the tweeters.
    I upgraded to an old used Denon amp (don't have the model number to hand) that puts out 100w pc that has made a huge difference and drives the TDL's nicely but I have a few problems with it.
    1. Its big and fugly and doesn't fit in my A/V cabinet,
    2. I noticed last week whilst using it that it started to cut out after being on for several hours (not at high volume) with relay's clicking off/on for split seconds from time to time.
    3. It has no remote control for volume

I had a quick scan at Richer sounds website and noticed the Cambridge Audio Azure 740A for £299 which seems to have favourable reviews, has the power I believe the speakers require and a few other useful features that will help the missus work it including a remote.
    Its also quite slim which means it will fit in my cabinet which sadly is a requirement.

The system gets used for the following:

Squeezebox for Radio and Music
    Sky+ connection for occasional Movies
    PS3 for Blueray movies

Most of these components have digital and/or optical outputs but my current amp and the Azure 740A don't support this, is this a feature that's worth taking advantage of and seeking out an Amp with digital/optical inputs? or am I unlikely to find this at a low to mid price range with the higher power output I require?
    Budget for the Amp is up to £4-500

Thanks
    Mags

2. Weemfluffer

Weemfluffer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Your best bet would be to buy something like the Beresford Dac which has plenty of inputs for your various digital devices and plug the Beresford into your new amp.

Not only will it tidy things up a bit, but it will improve substantially the sound quality of your system.

There are older Sony amps with an inbuilt DAC available for a few hundred notes, but I still reckon the Beresford is the best bet at around £ 130. :smashin:

3. Mags71

Mags71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, thanks, wasn't aware of DACS (not much of audiophile!) looks like one of these is the answer, cheers!

Mags

4. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    All of your sources have analogue outputs don't they (internal dac's)?
    If so, they can all go straight into an intergrated amp.

Just in case you did not know - If you want to tinker and experiment with a better out board dac, you could then go for something like the Bersford, plug your sources into that (via coax/optical), and then that, into your intergrated.

The amps that I came across while looking for something similar, with an internal dac, are not cheap:eek: