1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I buy this amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by clv101, Jul 9, 2003.

1. clv101

clv101
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Someone at work is selling a stereo Rotel RA 930AX amp - bought in 1996 apparently in perfect condition for £50. Is this a good amp? Is this a fair price?

How does it's stereo performance compare to something like the Marantz 4300 home cinema amp?

In my front room I have a Pioneer DV-350, and XBox and a TV. I'd mainly like to be able to play CDs in there (using the Pioneer DVD) and make the XBox sound a little better.

Should I get this stereo amp and a pair of decent speakers or a home cinema amp with 5.1 speakers? I suspect the stereo CD performace of the home cinema setup won't be as good and it'll cost a lot more.

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Go for the Rotel, it's a sharp little amp, but as always offer him £40 instead. :devil: It wil play better stereo music than any of the budget AV amps and you can use your left-over money for some nice standmounters or small floorstanders.

However if you decide that now it is time to go for the full surround treatment to do your DVD player (and XBox) justice, then the Marantz is about the best stereo-playing amp in it's class.

However (again :D ) you can get superb stereo sound by buying new 2 channel kit (say NAD 320 BEE & Kef Q1's) for the £400-£500 you'll spend on Marantz 4300 and some budget surrounds. Of course the Pioneer 350 is not the last word in CD playing ability either (I have one and my 3 year old budget Sony 530 CD machine spanks it!)

See, now I've made it even easier to make your mind up. :D