Should I buy these Monitor Audio speakers

FIRETRAP18

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone I need your help and input about some speakers. I currently looking to upgrade my speakers after years of having the same set.

The setup I have now is

Wharfedale 9.1 fronts
Wharfedale 9.cs centre
Wharfedale 9.0 surrounds
Wharfedale sw250 subwoofer

I have been offered this set up for £550

Monitor Audio BX5 fronts
Monitor Audio BX centre
Monitor Audio BX2 surrounds
Monitor Audio BXW-10 subwoofer

Would this setup be an upgrade from current setup?

Attachments

• received_3869504776470779.jpeg
    received_3869504776470779.jpeg
    298.8 KB · Views: 119
The price sounds bit high? Maybe other members knows better the value of older ranges. @password1 probably has good idea.

The BXW-10 sub is garbage. I think your Wharfedale sub is better so you should buy the speakers only with reduced price! There is no "matching" required with subwoofer and speakers so use the SW250. I have owned the BX5 with newer Bronze centre and they are certainly good speakers which should sound quite different to Wharfedales.

The price sounds bit high? Maybe other members knows better the value of older ranges. @password1 probably has good idea.

The BXW-10 sub is garbage. I think your Wharfedale sub is better so you should buy the speakers only with reduced price! There is no "matching" required with subwoofer and speakers so use the SW250. I have owned the BX5 with newer Bronze centre and they are certainly good speakers which should sound quite different to Wharfedales.
This is the prices hes listed the speakers individually

Bx5 floorstanders £220
Centre £100
Surrounds £85
Sub £225

The center channel is overpriced as you can get the newer Bronze Centre for same price.

If you have speaker stands for Wharfedale 9.1s would you consider standmount model also? You could get the newer Bronze system cheaper than those you mentioned. There isn´t going to be that big difference between the larger standmount model (B2) to floorstander (BX5 / B5), with movies the subwoofer takes care the low end so you won´t hear much difference. The tower route would be more for the looks.

Bronze 2 - 150£ : Monitor audio Bronze 2 Bookshelf Speakers | in East Dulwich, London | Gumtree

Bronze 2 - 150£ : Monitor audio bronze speakers | in Attleborough, Norfolk | Gumtree

Bronze Centre - 99£: Monitor Audio Bronze Centre Single Black | eBay

Bronze BX1 (not BR), you could get these for 50£ or so for surrounds:

So i think 300£ could be possible for the 5.0 and you would get newer speakers than the person selling those BX Bronzes for you.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
The center channel is overpriced as you can get the newer Bronze Centre for same price.

If you have speaker stands for Wharfedale 9.1s would you consider standmount model also? You could get the newer Bronze system cheaper than those you mentioned. There isn´t going to be that big difference between the larger standmount model (B2) to floorstander (BX5 / B5), with movies the subwoofer takes care the low end so you won´t hear much difference. The tower route would be more for the looks.

Bronze 2 - 150£ : Monitor audio Bronze 2 Bookshelf Speakers | in East Dulwich, London | Gumtree

Bronze 2 - 150£ : Monitor audio bronze speakers | in Attleborough, Norfolk | Gumtree

Bronze Centre - 99£: Monitor Audio Bronze Centre Single Black | eBay

Bronze BX1 (not BR), you could get these for 50£ or so for surrounds:

So i think 300£ could be possible for the 5.0 and you would get newer speakers than the person selling those BX Bronzes for you.
So the ones you listed are they all newer and better than what I'm being offered?

So the ones you listed are they all newer and better than what I'm being offered?
Yes newer generation (about 4-5years newer) the Bronze 2 and Bronze Centre. The Bronze BX1 (it says Bronze BR but it´s BX really) is older as i couldn´t find matching newer B1s, but you can mix those without issues. The front three is same which was used in this AVF review, read it up:

way overpriced.

the newer bronze 5g centre were £99 brand new

the bx5 at £220 is more than im selling my newer monitor 200

I'd be looking at £200 with £40 worth of cables.collected from ws11.

If you're interested I'll post a forsale or you post a wanted ad.

The Monitor 200 av package were reviewed on this forum and the same package withhout the sub can be bought for £549 brand new on ebay. You could use your existing sub.

i went WH9.1 all round in 5.0 to bronze 2 fronts, now have bronze 6 front witht the bronze 2 as rear.
tempting package that though but i would look to the next level up.
it would be an upgrade but the WH range are very good for the money

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-03-21-17-49-41-811_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-03-21-17-49-41-811_com.android.chrome.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 81
The Monitor 50s and 100s are bookshelves.

The mass 2 are satelites. You could ask and change them to bookshelves.

@FIRETRAP18 if you don´t require floorstanders the items i linked would cost about 300£ and be step up from the Monitor range. All you need is speaker stands (600mm) for the main speakers Bronze 2s. With sub on you won`t hear difference. I heard those in store and the amount of bass weren´t any less than with the slim towers (BX5). That is usually the main reason going with towers, although if it´s the looks then i understand. Shame you missed the last Bronze 5s. They were going crazy cheap like 299£ from 550£ normally i think.

@FIRETRAP18 if you don´t require floorstanders the items i linked would cost about 300£ and be step up from the Monitor range. All you need is speaker stands (600mm) for the main speakers Bronze 2s. With sub on you won`t hear difference. I heard those in store and the amount of bass weren´t any less than with the slim towers (BX5). That is usually the main reason going with towers, although if it´s the looks then i understand. Shame you missed the last Bronze 5s. They were going crazy cheap like 299£ from 550£ normally i think.
No I'm not specifically after floorstanding speakers, I just saw them and thought it was a good price. I was initially waiting for a good price on a pair of b&w book shelf speakers and have the wharfedale 9.1 as rears for the time being

No I'm not specifically after floorstanding speakers, I just saw them and thought it was a good price. I was initially waiting for a good price on a pair of b&w book shelf speakers and have the wharfedale 9.1 as rears for the time being

Well if you want B&W speakers then by all means get em. They are now on sale, few still available cause they just brought out the S2 model:

The 606 would be Bronze 2 size and step up in size from Wharfedale 9.1 . You would be very fine just upgrading the front three. As i said you have decent subwoofer so keep using that SW250 and consider something larger in future, just keep in mind that subwoofer placement can make big difference. What i have read about the B&W 600 range is that they are more on the brighter side so i would assume quite opposite to Wharfedales which are likely warmer and more laid back.

Well if you want B&W speakers then by all means get em. They are now on sale, few still available cause they just brought out the S2 model:

The 606 would be Bronze 2 size and step up in size from Wharfedale 9.1 . You would be very fine just upgrading the front three. As i said you have decent subwoofer so keep using that SW250 and consider something larger in future, just keep in mind that subwoofer placement can make big difference. What i have read about the B&W 600 range is that they are more on the brighter side so i would assume quite opposite to Wharfedales which are likely warmer and more laid back.
When you say bright, what does that actually mean? I'm not clued up with all this. Also having the 9.1 as rears it wouldn't be a problem would it sound wise?

When you say bright, what does that actually mean? I'm not clued up with all this. Also having the 9.1 as rears it wouldn't be a problem would it sound wise?

I meant the high frequencies. Brighter sound. How can i explain that, haha. This is why it would be important to listen before buying or make sure you have return period if for some reason it`s not for you. Applies to any speaker brand though.

No it won´t be problem to have the 9.1s as surrounds. One member got those with Kef R system and perhaps still has. Not optimal, but not a problem for the time being. For subwoofer there is no matching required so zero issues on that.

Which av-receiver you have?

I meant the high frequencies. Brighter sound. How can i explain that, haha. This is why it would be important to listen before buying or make sure you have return period if for some reason it`s not for you. Applies to any speaker brand though.

No it won´t be problem to have the 9.1s as surrounds. One member got those with Kef R system and perhaps still has. Not optimal, but not a problem for the time being. For subwoofer there is no matching required so zero issues on that.

Which av-receiver you have?
I have the denon avr 2113

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom