should I buy the Sony DVP-NS700?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by m.d, Jun 14, 2002.

1. m.d

m.d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am new here and own the good BUDGET player Yelo 800. I want to upgrade now though considering the poor picture quality on many disks the Yelo makes.

I have found a place where I can purchase the Sony DVP-S735D, but this being almost two years old should I buy the DVP-NS700? I have heard the 700 was the replacement for the 735, and is relatively the same with better sound quality. I am mostly just wanting excellent sound and picture quality, being only 16 I don't have the money to throw around on exensive sound systems.

Another thing, what is SACD?

2. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    SACD is a new(ish) CD format that uses a far higher frequency range than a conventional CD and therefore sounds much better. It also allows the recording of multi channel music; so up to 6 dedicated channels can be encoded onto a disc. I'm sure some of the more technical guys will be able to expand on that in more depth but thats the basics... Basically - if you haven't heard it you should do asap - it sounds fantastic! :D

As far as the NS700 goes it's a great player. I'm not sure if it's a direct replacement for the DVPS-735 as it's not a "QS" branded product like the new DVPNS900, but feature wise it's very similar. Built in Dolby Digital/DTS decoders, SACD playback etc - I'm sure you've read all about it :cool: - very decent spec. I've had my player for about 3 months now and I'm very pleased with it - picture and sound quality are excellent and as I've already said, SACD is out of this world. I know I'm biased but if I had £250-£300 to spend on a player right now it would definitely be at the top of my list... :)

Should you go for the 735?? - Well, I'm not sure - it depends what price it's at. If it's a lot cheaper then maybe but if the price is very similar to the 700 then I'd go for the newer one - newer model, more features etc. Your call...

Hope this helps.

Kelvin :D

3. smartfarm

smartfarm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the NS700 can be had for £150 in RS