Should I buy Pana PX80B or Sony 40v4000 for my needs? Opinions please!

Cat-Kicker

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So, my needs:
Quite a lot of SD through HD sky box.
Some HD through HD sky box probably.
Occasional Bluray DVD.
Hardly any gaming - in fact basically none!

Having seen both, I do like both pictures and the sets generally. I'm not concerned with the sound as will have a separate setup.
So basically the question is, with gaming out of the question, what would suit me better for the above? Pana Plasma or Sony LCD?

Would love to get some opinions. Guy in Richer sounds seemed to think the Sony LCD was great but best at gaming - no benefit to me.

Cheers,
Gary C :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I think the Panny wins on Motion handling, black levels and overall SD PQ.

42PX80, £639, Argos, with 3yr gaurantee.

Edit: £619, Argos

Last edited:
I was in the same boat but the general opinion on the forum was Plasma would suit me better - even got that advice in the LCD section.

Went into Sevenoaks Hifi at the weekend, initially he said the choice was down to personal preference for HD viewing but as soon as I mentioned that most of my viewing would be SD he immediately steered me towards plasma.

Picked up a 42PX80 and so far it's been great, really pleased with picture etc and that's running it with everything turned down - once it's settled in I'll bump the contrast etc up and it'll be mind blowing

HTH

Jim

Not a big fan of the v4000s i find the image quality quite poor. A px80 or other plasma should do nicely.

Thankyou all very much, this confirms what I'd been thinking really.

So final point is:
PZ80B (just over £700) or PX80B (just over £600) ???
The PZ80B gives me 1080p right?, but PX does not?

Cheers :clap:

Cheers :clap:

PX80 is HD Ready, PZ80 is Full HD.

How far do you sit from the screen?

Seeing them side by side would obviously be worthwhile. I think you'll find the PX will give you a better SD picture than the PZ, and at 42" the PZ probably won't give you any major improvement watching HD unless you like to sit very close to it.

Seeing them side by side would obviously be worthwhile. I think you'll find the PX will give you a better SD picture than the PZ, and at 42" the PZ probably won't give you any major improvement watching HD unless you like to sit very close to it.
+1. :smashin:

From eye to screen probably 12 feet.

Am I right in presuming that to get the best from Sky HD or Blu-ray I need the 1080p though?

Or at 42" would I still get a good improvement with HD over SD on the PX?

Gary

At 12 feet nobody can see the difference on a 42" screen.
Go for the PX80.

:smashin:

From eye to screen probably 12 feet.

Am I right in presuming that to get the best from Sky HD or Blu-ray I need the 1080p though?

Or at 42" would I still get a good improvement with HD over SD on the PX?

Gary

I have a 42 PX and sit about 8 feet away, I find the improvement of HD over SD obvious and I think it's a great picture.

From 12 feet away watching a 42" screen I honestly don't think you could spot the difference between the PZ and PX, I couldn't. They will both look very good. Isn't most of Sky HD output 720p anyway?

IF the looks don't bother you, it's possible to get a Panasonic 50PX8 for less than £700. It is a stripped down version of the PX80, but you'll gain an extra 8 inches in size. Even at 12 ft it would still be difficult to spot the difference between HD Ready and Full HD at this size. :smashin:

IF the looks don't bother you, it's possible to get a Panasonic 50PX8 for less than £700. It is a stripped down version of the PX80, but you'll gain an extra 8 inches in size. Even at 12 ft it would still be difficult to spot the difference between HD Ready and Full HD at this size. :smashin:

Not difficult, nearly impossible :)

I say go for the PX8 50incher, an extra 8 inches is always better, the wife will agree with that one ;)

Thanks again everyone.

I'll be going for the PX80B then.
Might try my hand at convincing er indoors about the benefits of the extra 8" but don't hold out much hope :D

Can't wait now!

Cheers :clap::clap::clap:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom