Should I buy old MK Sound 5.1 set?

Shinoby

Standard Member
Hi

Looking to upgrade my ultra-budget 5.1 set for movies and gaming, and yesterday I found this used MK 5.1 system
S150
LCR750CM2
SS150M2
MX350EU

Looks serious, powerful, and expensive. But the price for this treasure is only $2000.

The seller told me that set was used in a small VIP cinema room of some restaurant.
He doesn't seem to know much about acoustics and just wants to sell faster. First, he posted a sale lot for the M&K Sound Movie 5.1 system, which is a budget solution ($2k for brand new). But when I requested condition, the seller went to take a photo and realized that he had a more powerful set, so then he up the price from $1200 to $2000.

Pros
Legendary THX-certified speakers from the legendary company for so small price. Feels like I won in the lottery.

Cons
1. Models look old. I can't even find information about the production date for that loudspeakers and subwoofer. It is unknown how many were used. Can they be worn out due to long use in commerce cinema?

2. Still worried about fraud. Speakers may just not work. The delivery company gives 10 minutes for checks, but it's not enough.

What do you think?

$2000 is a lot of money for my country.

My previous choices:
Brand new Mk sound movie 5.1 set or 5.1 based on Klipsch RF-620

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Is there pictures you can share to see the version (front and rear without grilles)?

@Jase might know these best and pricing..

Forget the cheaper Reference Klipsches..

Shinoby

Standard Member
Is there pictures you can share to see the version (front and rear without grilles)?

@Jase might know these best and pricing..

Forget the cheaper Reference Klipsches..
All I have.
I can request a photo without the grills if that matters.

As far as I know, s150 has been produced over 25 years. And subwoofer MX350EU can be my age :)
But in the photos, the speakers don't look too old

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 43
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 44

Jase

Distinguished Member
They're the older models but will still sound good assuming all the tweeters/drivers are working ok. Interesting that the SS150MK2 also have some of the official wall brackets as they are quite rare and were expensive.

The S150's have the brackets but are missing the Stands they would connect to. The LCR750 is not the exact matching Centre but will still work well.

At $1200 they'd be a bargain but $2000 is at the top end of what they're worth so a bit of a gamble.

Shinoby

Standard Member
They're the older models but will still sound good assuming all the tweeters/drivers are working ok. Interesting that the SS150MK2 also have some of the official wall brackets as they are quite rare and were expensive.

The S150's have the brackets but are missing the Stands they would connect to. The LCR750 is not the exact matching Centre but will still work well.

At $1200 they'd be a bargain but $2000 is at the top end of what they're worth so a bit of a gamble.
Thanks for the answer.
Yeah, now I realised it's a real gamble.
  • if it's not a fraud.
  • if twitters work ok after decades of use.
  • if transport company will doesn't crash something.
Too many if. And I don't have a way to check it and return speakers if something goes wrong.

How about "MK Sound movie 5.1 set"?
Will it be better than some hi-fi for the same price? ($2 000 - $2 500). Only movies and video games.

I have room ~15 square meters (49 feet). Looks like it's fine to start in that small room in a flat. Next, I may upgrade front and center for LCR750 and move K50 to LS and RS to make 7.1.
Or maybe it's better to start with LCR750? But I have $2k - $2.5k, and pricing for brand new speakers in my country something like this

LCR750 - $1 482
LCR750С - $1 136
M40T - $1 005
V8 - $743
= ~$4 368

Used - it's always a bit gamble because buyers don't have protection for fraud sellers from other cities.

Jase

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the answer.
Yeah, now I realised it's a real gamble.
  • if it's not a fraud.
  • if twitters work ok after decades of use.
  • if transport company will doesn't crash something.
Too many if. And I don't have a way to check it and return speakers if something goes wrong.

How about "MK Sound movie 5.1 set"?
Will it be better than some hi-fi for the same price? ($2 000 - $2 500). Only movies and video games.

I have room ~15 square meters (49 feet). Looks like it's fine to start in that small room in a flat. Next, I may upgrade front and center for LCR750 and move K50 to LS and RS to make 7.1.
Or maybe it's better to start with LCR750? But I have $2k - $2.5k, and pricing for brand new speakers in my country something like this

LCR750 - $1 482
LCR750С - $1 136
M40T - $1 005
V8 - $743
= ~$4 368

Used - it's always a bit gamble because buyers don't have protection for fraud sellers from other cities.

I rate M&K very highly and have had them in my system for 20 years. Although I've tried other brands, I always come back to M&K as I think they work very well for both music and movies.

You could perhaps look at the M&K M70 to save some money. Three of those plus the M40T and then add a Subwoofer from another brand. Do Monoprice EU ship to your Country? The Monolith THX 10 is on offer at the moment.

Last edited:

Shinoby

Standard Member
I rate M&K very highly and have had them in my system for 20 years and although I've tried other brands, I always come back to M&K as I think they work very well for both music and movies.

You could perhaps look at the M&K M70 to save some money. Three of those plus the M40T and then add a Subwoofer from another brand. Do Monoprice EU ship to your Country? The Monolith THX 10 is on offer at the moment.
Nope, Monoprice EU doesn't ship to Russia.
Looks like M70 ($1 308) cost almost like LCR750 ($1 482) in local shops.
V8 subwoofer won't be enough? Or another brand just to save money?

Jase

Distinguished Member
Nope, Monoprice EU doesn't ship to Russia.
Looks like M70 ($1 308) cost almost like LCR750 ($1 482) in local shops.
V8 subwoofer won't be enough? Or another brand just to save money?

Ah, they must have increased the M70 price recently. I was thinking another brand of Sub to save some money. Not sure what others you have available to you?

Are SVS Subwoofers available?

Last edited:

Shinoby

Standard Member
Ah, they must have increased the M70 price recently. I was thinking another brand of Sub to save some money. Not sure what others you have available to you?

Are SVS Subwoofers available?
Yep, I looked towards SVS as a good manufacturer of subwoofers. But prices, almost the same as MK, if compare budget models.

SVS SB-1000 - 74 990 ₽ ($981,24)
MK V8 - 76 421 ₽ ($1 000,35) (looks like I make mistake in previous calculations in convertion RUB to USD)

However, SB-1000 has a bigger driver.
I thought sw is the main reason to buy MK :)

Jase

Distinguished Member
Yep, I looked towards SVS as a good manufacturer of subwoofers. But prices, almost the same as MK, if compare budget models.

SVS SB-1000 - 74 990 ₽ ($981,24)
MK V8 - 76 421 ₽ ($1 000,35) (looks like I make mistake in previous calculations in convertion RUB to USD)

However, SB-1000 has a bigger driver.
I thought sw is the main reason to buy MK :)
Still both expensive. I've had a bigger dual driver M&K subwoofer but not the smaller ones so not sure how they perform.

The best use of your budget would probably be to upgrade the LCR first, then the subwoofer and then the surrounds. Do it in stages as and when you can afford to.

Shinoby

Standard Member
Still both expensive. I've had a bigger dual driver M&K subwoofer but not the smaller ones so not sure how they perform.

The best use of your budget would probably be to upgrade the LCR first, then the subwoofer and then the surrounds. Do it in stages as and when you can afford to.
Do you mean - upgrade my current system?

Now I have an old Edifier s550 with Yamaha RX-V379.
Upgrade for the receiver is on the way from Germany (Denon 3700)

Have some worries about how cheap s550 backs would sound with CLR750. Wouldn't it be a complete mess?

But overall it looks ok.

1) LCR750 + LCR750С ~$2 226
2) V8 ~$1k
3) M40T ~$1 136

And maybe, I will try to save some money by sales or find a used LCR-750 (saw one lot for $1k)

Jase

Distinguished Member

Have some worries about how cheap s550 backs would sound with CLR750. Wouldn't it be a complete mess?

But overall it looks ok.

2) V8 ~$1k
3) M40T ~$1 136

And maybe, I will try to save some money by sales or find a used LCR-750 (saw one lot for $1k)

Yes, upgrade your system in stages. Might not be perfect but it's another way of doing it. :)

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member

But overall it looks ok.

2) V8 ~$1k
3) M40T ~$1 136

You could look used tripole M&Ks as those M40T are very expensive. Unless you require low depth on-wall speakers.

Don`t buy the V8. Overpriced and too small. SVS SB1000 Pro is going to be more enjoyable! If you looking more impact consider the PB1000 Pro as it doesn´t cost much more, but will give you another step up. Not sure if you have neighbours or not, just thinking how loud you can play..

XTZ ships to Russia! 12.17 Edge would be great compact home theater sub! 5year amp warranty just like with SVS. Depends which is going to cost more PB1K Pro or this one.

Shinoby

Standard Member
Not sure if you have neighbours or not, just thinking how loud you can play..
I have neighbors, and my room is only 15 square meters, so don't think I need a really powerful SW.
One day I will buy a house and make a cinema room in the basement but not in the closest 5 years.
For now, I just need to upgrade my ultra-cheap system to feel something new and better :)

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I have neighbors, and my room is only 15 square meters, so don't think I need a really powerful SW.
One day I will buy a house and make a cinema room in the basement but not in the closest 5 years.
For now, I just need to upgrade my ultra-cheap system to feel something new and better :)

Fair enough, but you should still choose SB1000 Pro over V8 for same price as it offers lot more! :) You are in full control how loud the sub plays, when you setup the system with new Denon it sets the bass quite low level and you can tweak the sub level from menu while laying on couch so it´s easy. The X3700H also has the LFC feature which is kind of "apartment" mode for subwoofer, not sure is it needed day time but night time could be fine so don´t need to run turning sub off. Also you got the decent sub eq with X3700H flattening room modes so won´t sound boomy. Try nearfield placement for the sub (side or behind couch) so you get more impact without running it so loud and bother neighbours less. I did this at apartment. SB1000 Pro is very compact like 33x33x 37cm or something like that.

Shinoby

Standard Member
Just bought
2x LCR-750
1x LCR-750C
2x SUR-55T

Some guy from Moscow bought this one set to listen to music and replaced it with ELAC later. An almost new set, in original boxes.
I had to ask a friend in Moscow to check, pick it up, and send it to me by delivery service.

~$2000. Think it's a good deal.

Also ordered new SVS-PB1000 Pro.

Now I will have a very long 2 weeks for waiting :)

Still don't know when computeruniverse will send me Denon 3700.
My Yamaha RX-V379 looks like a dirty peasant in comparison to this acoustics.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Just bought
2x LCR-750
1x LCR-750C
2x SUR-55T

Some guy from Moscow bought this one set to listen to music and replaced it with ELAC later. An almost new set, in original boxes.
I had to ask a friend in Moscow to check, pick it up, and send it to me by delivery service.

~$2000. Think it's a good deal.

Also ordered new SVS-PB1000 Pro.

Now I will have a very long 2 weeks for waiting :)

Still don't know when computeruniverse will send me Denon 3700.
My Yamaha RX-V379 looks like a dirty peasant in comparison to this acoustics.

Nice system! 👌 I`m not sure does SVS send the port bungs with the sub so you might want to ask this from dealer to make sure you get em just in case you need them. You can run it also sealed and changing the setting with the phone app. For long term you chose wisely going with the PB, performance wise it is very close to 2000 serie making it superb choice bang for buck wise. I think the hardest part is not to annoy neighbours as it`s going to be so much fun..

When you receive the Denon buy the 20€ app editor for it and run the setup through the app, not via receiver! Naturally read and plan as much about speaker placement/positioning before you get the gear so you can optimize speaker and subwoofer placement. Then the room correction can do better job. For the sub the nearfield placement to listener may be good idea for less neighbour disturbance, but you have to try it. With Audussey you can do 3mic positions over the full 8. This comes handy as you save time if you need to run it few times if you swap example subwoofer placement.

Listen this clip about 10min forward where it starts when you got the unit..

Keep us posted!

Shinoby

Standard Member
Naturally read and plan as much about speaker placement/positioning before you get the gear so you can optimize speaker and subwoofer placement.

Actually, I have some questions about placement for SUR-55T

I had a little confused when reading this manual

With L, R, and C all clear, but with backs...

a. POSITION RELATIVE TO SEATING

For maximum enveloping quality, the surround speakers should be located directly to the left and to the right of the preferred seating position, See FIGURE 3 in Appendix A. If there are multiple rows of seats, then the surround speakers would then be located directly to the left and right of the geometric center of the listening area. See FIGURE 4 in Appendix A.
But also...
e. USE WITH BACK SURROUND CHANNEL(S)

When using Tripole speakers with a back surround channel, we strongly recommend using two speakers. These speakers should be mounted on the center area of the back wall of the room, symmetrical to the wall’s center line. See FIGURE 6 in Appendix A. Follow your processor or receiver’s instructions for proper calibration.
1643018692436.png

1. Which scheme should I follow with SUR-55T for better results? Figure 3 or Figure 5?
2. If it's Figure 3, what if I increase the angle?

I have literally a blank wall on the back. As far as I understood placement closest to the ceiling is better. But it is unclear should I rotate (or not) the speakers? Aim to ears (if I bought brackets) or just put on the shelf horizontally.

My plan (will be 2 armchairs in the future)
1643020942591.png
1643020346816.png

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
The B plan shows like they would be like surround backs in 7.1 system, they are too narrow as they are basically "side surrounds". Also the blue one shows that they are very close to side walls. I don´t know what M&K recommends, but Monitor Audio tech guys said 1-2feet from side wall would be optimal so they shouldn`t go too close to corners.

Normally for 5.1 system the surround channels would go 1-2feet on top of seated ear height. If you get up standing so about 1,80m from floor.

You can`t opt for side walls? I see you have window there, but how high does the window go i mean if there is wall on top of window not too high maybe you could place one there and then opposite side wall same place?

I´m also thinking could you push the couch little bit more toward rear wall to get the LCR slightly more apart? 1,70cm sounds very tight squeeze for LCR. I would want 2meters minium if possible, that would still leave 1meter to rear wall which is good enough.

@Jase is tripole expert, let`s hear what he recommends! :lesson:

Jase

Distinguished Member
Ideally you'd mount them like Figure 4 but if the window is in the way then Figure 5 is likely your best option. You don't want them too close to the corners though.

I would try something like half way between your blue and pink positions and about 2/3rds up the height of the wall.

That should work well for a 5.1 system. Also try and get your fronts a bit futher apart as @Gasp3621 suggested.

Last edited:

Shinoby

Standard Member
Ok, something like this...
The real pain is how to hide cables. It's a bricks / concrete wall, and I don't want to make holes and ruin walls' paint. Thinking about some thin shelves systems to put cables from the floor.

1643030365165.png

1643030512724.png

Mount to appendix between window and ceiling is an option but...
  • difficult to find a bracket to push speaker out of the curtains
  • think it's too close to the ceiling
  • distance from left and right will be different, I can't place TV right in the center

1643033068496.png

Mount in appendix between back wall and window is too close to the corner

Jase

Distinguished Member
@Shinoby

The first two images look good. That's how I would have it in that room. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

McIntosh unveils flagship MCD12000 CD/SACD player
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sonos announces new Ray soundbar
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony set to launch WH-1000XM5 wireless headphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
VIDEO: Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event