Should i buy Oblivion?

RHCP

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I loved the old Might and Magic on the PC, but could'nt really be bothered with Morrowind on the Xbox. I just couldn't get into it.

I'd say that if you couldn't get into Morrowind then Oblivion isn't the game for you

Tbh i found it a real bore, and i traded it for something that doesn't insist on you playing it for hours and hours just to get interesting.

The 360 is built for "live" and Morrowind is too 1 player

But thats just my opinion, i know of 100's of people that have enjoyed it

Stu

I highly recommend it, one of my favourites.

You can get it brand new from ebay for 30 GBP.

Soon there is going to be a post titled "Should i wipe my bum after a poo"?

Sorry but im getting tired of should i buy X game, And convince me why i should get Y, Guess im just a miserable, Sorry :rolleyes:

RHCP said:
I loved the old Might and Magic on the PC, but could'nt really be bothered with Morrowind on the Xbox. I just couldn't get into it.

I can understand the comment above about why bother asking for others opinions on games - as at the end of the day its your money.

But then again other opinions can sometimes be helpful and as I am in a good mood (as my team managed to score for the first time this season - 4 painful hours into it) here is my take on it.

I think its a brilliant game, one of the most absorbing I've played on the 360. I am not a big RPG fan overall, though I love the Zelda games on the N64 and Cube, and tend to play more arcade adventures (Tomb Raider; Beyond Good and Evil etc.)

The level of detail in the world is amazing (perhaps not if you play these sorts of games on high end PCs - but to me it has the WOW factor) and I am up to 35 hours in and still feel like I have got loads to do. So £ per hour - its the best value game on the system IMHO.

I'd say buy it of eBay and if you don't like it, flog it again - you'll not lose that much.

Its much better than morrowind.

RHCP said:
I've played three games from the series:

Daggerfall: Loved this, despite all the bugs. Just as well, because I bought a new PC just to play it! :rolleyes:

Morrowind: Like you, I couldn't really get into this one. I just didn't find it very inviting or interesting. Most of the characters seemed to look and sound like extras from a Star Trek spin-off and they didn't give the impression that they had their own lives to lead and so appeared to be there just for your benefit (something which breaks any sense of immersion for me.)
Also, settlements seemed too small and lifeless (not that I played long enough to see all of them). The final 'nail in the coffin' for me was that the shops stayed open 24/7! This prevented the kind of night-time 'shopping' sprees that I enjoyed so much in Daggerfall... ;)

Oblivion: All the above problems have been addressed and a lot of neat new stuff - like the physics engine - has been added. Obviously this type of game can always be bigger and better, but overall, I'd say it's a big improvement on Morrowind and easily the best game on the 360 so far. Of course, there are those who would disagree with me on both counts, but it would be a dull world if we were all the same.

i been a pc gamer for years never liked rpg or rts games,but when i got 360 fought i would give oblivion a go,pleased i did the game is spot on but it takes time,took me 2 hours to get out of the begining level,which is the dullest part of the game,once out the game opens up brilliantly with loads of quests and side stories to get involved in,so thumbsup from me but like i say give it time to get into it.

I really wanted to love Oblivion, but after many hours I gave up.

I found it very boring. I know its not quite the same but I thought the Final fantasy stuff on PS2 and all the Zelda a million times better.

I bought this game blind seeing as how a lot of people were excited by it and the fact it had a Collectors Edition was a bonus.

However, what I've played is one of the most absorbing and satisfying gaming experiences in years. You can play this game how you like, and do what you want. How anyone can't like it (after getting past the initial 2 hours or so) is beyond me.

Definitely. The game is awesome, not to mention massive.

Im my opinion it's a must buy! It is a superb game with amazing visuals, great combat and will last you ages.

Mad Jack said:
I've played three games from the series:

Daggerfall: Loved this, despite all the bugs. Just as well, because I bought a new PC just to play it! :rolleyes:

Morrowind: Like you, I couldn't really get into this one. I just didn't find it very inviting or interesting. Most of the characters seemed to look and sound like extras from a Star Trek spin-off and they didn't give the impression that they had their own lives to lead and so appeared to be there just for your benefit (something which breaks any sense of immersion for me.)
Also, settlements seemed too small and lifeless (not that I played long enough to see all of them). The final 'nail in the coffin' for me was that the shops stayed open 24/7! This prevented the kind of night-time 'shopping' sprees that I enjoyed so much in Daggerfall... ;)

Oblivion: All the above problems have been addressed and a lot of neat new stuff - like the physics engine - has been added. Obviously this type of game can always be bigger and better, but overall, I'd say it's a big improvement on Morrowind and easily the best game on the 360 so far. Of course, there are those who would disagree with me on both counts, but it would be a dull world if we were all the same.

^

So true - very good summing up.

Basically, the whole point of these sort of games is to feel a sort of believable ish connection so you can relate and think about the story, abit like a good book.

Morrowind was like this for some, but you really do have to persevere with for a good many hours to get that feeling. Oblivion tends to still be a little like this, but it throws it at you after a while.

I found if I stoppped playing for more than a week you gotta play it again for a few hours to start enjoying it.

Anotherlimey said:
Soon there is going to be a post titled "Should i wipe my bum after a poo"?

That was my next question!

swale500 said:
what other games have you got?

I have only just got my 360, i have GRAW, COD2 and Table Tennis, i also have Fight Night 3 on order.

I've hardly touched these, so maybe i sould wait before buying Oblivion. I Don't think that i would have the time these days to commit to a big RPG.

Cheers everyone :beer:

Just be warned. If you do find you like it, prepare to lose manymanymanymanymany hours and loved ones. :rolleyes:

andy

I've got 70 hours and I'm only level15 and there are even towns I haven't even visited yet.

Mr.D said:
I've got 70 hours and I'm only level15 and there are even towns I haven't even visited yet.

Ditto.

Games that have drawn me this completely are few and far between.

I can think of Zelda: Ocarina of Time on the N64, Dungeon Master and Command and Conquer on the Atari ST, and Elite.

That's about it. In good company IMHO.

Buy it.

:eek:

I've just bought it.

Only £25 delivered from HMV :smashin:

I've already said goodbye to most of my friends, just the parents and the girlfriend that i've got to tell that i'm not going to see them for a very, very long time. :devil:

RHCP said:
I've just bought it.

Only £25 delivered from HMV :smashin:
I hope you enjoy your time in Cyrodil. :)

Scapegoat said:
Command and Conquer on the Atari ST
???

Sure you didn't mean Carrier Command? Both great games, anyway! ;)

Wow, i got it today, after all the lovely comments here :smashin: (besides the bum wiping one :thumbsdow ).

If anyone has doubts about buying this game - It is fantastic.

I'd say it's a lot more arcadey (i've just made that word up :rolleyes: ) and a lot more enjoyable than Morrowind.

Morrowind felt like a chore to play :boring: , this game reminded me of a first person version of baulders gate, and also reminded me of the old might and magic for the PC.

I've played it for only 4 hours, but really enjoyed it. Graphics are great, play is great, the only gripe is the load times between areas :boring: .

It is the type of game that will pull you in and suck your life away (so it must be good :thumbsup: ).

This game is a steal at £25 (HMV).

Buy it :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom