Should I buy in NY?

Pieeater

Established Member
Reaction score
Decisions, decisions!

Right, later this year I turn 40 - there, said it, feel better already! Better still, I have convinced 'her, who must be obeyed' that I need a D300 with MB-D10 and a couple of batteries. :D

The plan, I think, is to go to NY for a few days and get one there. The question bothering me is: Is the saving in price worth the loss of warranty? I have a good mate in NY who, if something went wrong, I could ship the camera to, however, this could be no end of hassle.

The price for the above, plus a 8Gb CF card equates to just less than £1300 from BandH. I may be able to get away with a smaller card - this is starting to add up!

Has anyone been to the US and bought camera gear from there? Did you have any problems bringing it back into the country? Where did you buy from? Any recommendations?

Thoughts appreciated.

I would save the cash and lose the warrantee. Bringing it back is a tax risk, but you could get your friend to post the box and instructions etc after you've flown home with the body.

got a sony DSC-H5 from B and H in New York last December(2006) and came back into this country, didnt pay any tax, no props with camera and going back on feb 28th and will be getting a Nikon for my dad. hope this helps:smashin:

Been there and got the t-shirt. Check with the vendor if they offer a Worldwide warranty (usually they are USA only). That said, even today the $-£ is good and yes . . you'll make savings. I put mine in a camera bag over my shoulder and walked it through customs (bunch of robbers dogs)!

Plenty on this subject in other threads . . have a search.

If you are flying to NY the D300 is only £936 in the airports at the minute

With no risk of getting stung by customs and a UK warranty it offset the small price saving on offer in the US

I was in B&H yesterday. It really is an Aladin's Cave. The prices are pretty good, but you need to remember that the price on the website does not include tax. VAT is another 8.5% which when you are only buying something small is not a problem, but with a D300 adds another £80. So what starts off at $1799.99 becomes $1952.99 or £1001.53 (@£1=$1.95). Given Dixons sell it for £1059.99 it isn't worth running the custom's gauntlet. Unless of course you like the full James Herriot:eek:

Thanks for the replies, there's certainly food for thought.

With no risk of getting stung by customs and a UK warranty it offset the small price saving on offer in the US

Sounds like a good option Andy, it seems to be cheaper than buying in the US.

Sonic, I hadn't dismissed the sales tax scenario but with looking at so many items (MB-D10) is listed as £259 here and $259 over there. It starts to add up. The same with the Lexar 8GB CF card UDMA 300x, it costs $169 which I think is quite a bit cheaper than over here.

AS for the 'James Herriott', err... no thanks!! :rolleyes:

Pirate, I shall check out the previous threads (if I can find them!)

Memory cards is something you'll definitely save on without any hassles and as long as you test it before you leave there's little chance of it failing later on for a long time.

Sounds like a good option Andy, it seems to be cheaper than buying in the US.

I don't think it's quite that simple. If you are going to the US, and buy the camera duty free at the airport, you haven't paid duty. When you then return to the UK, you then have to pay the duty.

However, if you are going somewhere in the EU, the airport shop is not allowed to remove the duty. Instead, they give you a shop discount to match the duty free price. In this case, you can safely bring it back home, and show customs your receipt. So grab it on a trip to Scotland.

I think that's how it works. If someone knows better (not buy guessing), please correct me. You should check before you make your decision.

Dont be misled by the term duty free

If you buy a product at the airport thats advertised as duty/vat free then regardless of where you are flying you pay the same

If you fly within the EU the retailer effectively gives you a discount equal to the VAT (already taken into account in the price)

If you fly outside the EU then the retailer doesnt pay the VAT

Duty will have been paid by the retailer on any product they sell before it reaches the shops, again if its sold outside the EU then the retailer can claim the duty back

I cant see a risk with customs either as you are allowed to bring an unlimited value of goods that were sourced in the EU back into the EU - might be worth double checking that though as i havent ever been stopped by customs

Alternatively you can buy the product before you travel and pick it up when you return

http://www.heathrowairport.com/port...___/448c6a4c7f1b0010VgnVCM200000357e120a____/

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom