• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Should I buy cut price Samsung with "minor" fault?

Benny2209

Hi, I m on the look out for a TV for my spare room and I'm on a bit of a budget. I can get a 49" Samsung ks7000 for a really good price but the screen has a small dim area at the very top right, only a few cms in length and doesn't really affect the viewing. I'm concerned that the issue could get worse and I'm stuck with a broken TV with a limited, verbally agreed warranty of a few months? Should I avoid like the plague and get something new within budget, or take the risk? Any advice would be appreciated, cheers.

pirati81

Hi, I m on the look out for a TV for my spare room and I'm on a bit of a budget. I can get a 49" Samsung ks7000 for a really good price but the screen has a small dim area at the very top right, only a few cms in length and doesn't really affect the viewing. I'm concerned that the issue could get worse and I'm stuck with a broken TV with a limited, verbally agreed warranty of a few months? Should I avoid like the plague and get something new within budget, or take the risk? Any advice would be appreciated, cheers.

Can you post pictures of this dim area. Usually all LCD panels have uniformity issues so even if you buy a new one you might end up with a bad uniformity

Benny2209

I've not actually seen it but apparently its that minor, that it doesn't show up in photos. I think it might be worth the plunge given that it's near half rrp but I'll obviously view before buying.

Last edited:

Dodgexander

It depends if it's an actual fault or if it's just a case of bad screen uniformity as already mentioned. Those tv's have their leds at the bottom so if they have dim areas due to uniformity it is likely to be top right. Also, why has this tv not been fixed under warranty? Most places offer 5 year warrantys and at least a year. So why has it somehow not been fixed already? Why sell instead?

But apart from that what is your budget and how will you use the tv? The KS series are mainly good value for their HDR performance, if you aren't going to use HDR much then you could perhaps look at a different model.

Benny2209

I think the guy either works for, or has contacts with Samsung as he has a number of models with lines through the screen and other imperfections that make them unsellable and perhaps unfixable. I have very limited information, which is why I'm slightly concerned and asking advice. This particular unit is the best of the bunch in terms of the defect having very little detriment to viewing. It's going to be used in my spare room mainly for gaming, which is why I'm after HDR, so that it's fairly future proof. My budget is around £400, which will get me a half decent hisense UHD 8 bit panel but I'm wondering if this risk is worth taking at the price. It may be too good to be true though.

Dodgexander

Well, as long as the fault is related to uniformity then I wouldn't see it really getting worse, not unless you are throwing the TV around a lot in transport.

Given that the KS series are rare to find now and that newer TVs are still very overpriced, especially HDR capable ones it is really the only option for you to get decent HDR at that budget.

So its that or wait I guess so you can spend more and keep an eye out for any other refurbs/ex displays or buy second hand at a later stage.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Are you buying from a private individual or a business? If it's a business then you do get the full protection of consumer law and they would be obliged to fix, replace or refund it if it developed any other faults.

Benny2209

No it's off an individual through a well known classified ads website. I've agreed to go see/pick it up this evening. It'll either be the bargain of the century or a costly error.

Benny2209

£400 - Hence why I'm so skeptical. We'll soon see!

Benny2209

Went for it in the end. Providing the issue does not get worse, it looks like I've managed a bit of a steal. The first mm or 2 of the screen along the top is fractionally dimmer than the rest. Only for the fact I knew that the fault was there, I'd not have picked it out.

sean85

Standard Member
Went for it in the end. Providing the issue does not get worse, it looks like I've managed a bit of a steal. The first mm or 2 of the screen along the top is fractionally dimmer than the rest. Only for the fact I knew that the fault was there, I'd not have picked it out.

Has he got anymore ;-)
Hard to find brand new and the cheapest place I've seen so far is Reliant Direct @ £900

Benny2209

Not sure on the rules around here but have a look on the well known classified ads website and you'll find them. It's pot luck in terms of the specific defects and most are more intruding in terms of lines through the screen. This guy was based in Shaftesbury but there seem to be plenty in the Bristol area. Hope that helps and I haven't broke any rules.

Benny2209

Spoke too soon. Was having a play about with picture settings tonight and watching football. The right hand 3rd of the screen is a couple of shades darker than the left and there seems to be a faint flicker, so I'm guessing the backlight is faulty. Not sure I can live with it and would I be right in thinking the backlight could get worse?

sean85

Standard Member
Not sure on the rules around here but have a look on the well known classified ads website and you'll find them. It's pot luck in terms of the specific defects and most are more intruding in terms of lines through the screen. This guy was based in Shaftesbury but there seem to be plenty in the Bristol area. Hope that helps and I haven't broke any rules.

Thanks. Will hold out for the price to come down on the last remaining boxed ones

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom