1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I buy cheaper speakers now or more expensive later?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Spiderkid, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Spiderkid

Spiderkid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    I've been reading through these threads with great interest and have learned a fair bit, so I'm hoping someone can help me with this query.

A few days ago I bought a pair of Gale floorstanders from Richer Sounds. I bought them because they fulfilled my two essential requirements, limited budget and limmited space. Unfortunately they didn't fulfil my last requirement of acoustic clarity and quality - which, I suppose is to be expected at that price.. :rolleyes:

They sounded flat, unresponsive and muffled - and totally outclassed by a pair of old Yamaha satellite speakers (even my wife could hear the marked difference between the two). So I'm taking them back to Richer Sounds this weekend. My question is, should I try to replace them with some smaller stand mounts - either Mordaunt Short M302's, Tannoy M2.5 or the Celestion F10s? This is because I simply don't have the space for normal sized floorstanders, I bought the Gale speakers because they were unusually 'compact', although in hindsight I should have known better.

If I did get smaller speakers I'd hook up my sub to compensate for the lack of bass.

Would any of these smaller speakers do a reasonable job (for hi-fi at the moment but then as surround sound satellites later when I get the flat screen TV)? Or.. should I save my precious pennies and splash out some Tannoy Arena satellites or Monitor Audio 180's at a later date?

Cheers in advance

Tom

2. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    What is the rest of the system

3. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
  4. Spiderkid

Spiderkid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    At the moment the rest of the system comprises of an old (but good nick) Rotel 965 BX CD player running through a Yamaha RXV 396 reciever, with accompanying Yamaha NSP 220 5.1 surround sound package.

I'll soon be upgrading to the CA Azur CD player and amp, but in the mean time I'd like to get the most out of my faithful old Rotel with some decent speakers.

£150 is about my upper limit at the moment, and size is an issue, excluding most floorstanders (sorry HairyHerman!).

I've done a bit of research into decent standmounts within my budget and have settled on a few serious possibilities. Below £100 - Tannoy M2.5 (£60 RS) or the Wharfedale Diamond 8.1 (£65 hifibitz). Both have good reviews and I'd also be able to afford half decent stands as well.

Around £100 are the Mission V60 and Mission M31i - although I'm less keen on the styling they read-up well.

And finally at the higher end are the Aegis Evo One (£140 Superfi) and the Wharfedale Evo 10 (£150 Superfi). I like the styling of the Evo 10, although they're considerably bigger and I couldn't buy the stands immediately.

I've read as much as I can on these speakers, but if anyone has any input or personal experience with any of these speakers I'm all ears...

Cheers

Tom