Should I buy Canon G30 Vixia (NTSC) or Legria (PAL)

Scifictus

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi All

While I have seen many discussion threads on NTSC vs Pal, and 50p vs 60p I am still unclear on what I should do: I am based in UK but I am in the US for a few weeks. I want to get a Canon G30. Buying a Vixia G30 (NTSC) in the US will be much cheaper here than buying a Canon Legria G30 (PAL) back in the UK.

I edit on Premiere 11 Elements. My output formats will either be Full HD for YouTube, Full HD 'files' for playing on PC/PS4, or mastering BluRay discs to share with friends in the UK.

If I buy the NTSC version (the Vixia) which allows 24p, 30i, 30p, 60i and 60p am I still going to be able to meet my output requirements above? The PAL version - as you would expect - offers 24p, 25i, 25p, 50i and 50p.

My (small) brain tells me that it should not restrict me making YouTube submissions or MP4s etc to play on PC/PS4 (as they are not limited to just one of the 50/60 rates?) But that when mastering a BluRay for UK consumption I may need to force this into a PAL basis?

Of course I could be talking nonsense (happens with frequency).

Any advice from you much cleverer lot would be really appreciated!

If it was me i would always buy Pal,editing can give enough problems without adding to it,but no doubt some people do use NTSC cams here without problems.

Blu-ray content is almost always 1080p24 across the globe.

In fact it's the only Full HD progressive format (1920 x 1080) specified in the original Blu-ray spec so any Blu-ray player will support 1080p24.

PAL and NTSC are irrelevant as they refer to analogue colour TV standards. Content recorded in 1080p24 should play back in any blu-ray player in any country in the world. In some cases the TV may not support 24P, in this case the Blu-ray player will output a suitable frame rate to compensate.

The pal HF-G30 records 25P 50i or 50P no 24P,i am not sure if the NTSC equivalent does 24P as well as 30P 60i and 60P

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom