Should I buy an XBOX 360?

V

vertical

Hi all.

I've got this Sharp LC-37P55E LCD TV. With friends talking about their PS3 etc I'm wondering whether to get a console. I was originally looking at an XBOX 1 as there cheap and cheerful, loads of cheap games, moddable, big HD, media centre etc.

I've now seen the XBOX 360 price dropping to a price where I'd consider getting one.

So would there be any point going for a 360 especially with my TV displaying "Number of dots 1,555,200 dots (960 X 540 X 3 dots)"?

Should I just get an XBOX 1?

If you think I should go for the 360 then what advantages does the HD have?

Where would you buy a 360, Argos, Ebay?

Thanks

Vertical

from what I can gather, although your lcd is an sd panel it does support 720p and 1080i, so if you have a vga port or a component connection you should see really good results with a 360 because the signal quality going in is better and then the lcd will rescale, I had an xbox and have just got a 360 and I have to say that the difference is like chalk and cheese. I bought mine from here http://www.gamestation.co.uk/images/category/xbox360-combos.asp. hope this helps but it is just my own humble opinion lol:thumbsup:

Sit down and have a think about it first, remember you don't have to follow everyone else. Its what you want. ;)

I do miss my old xbox and xbmc. Shame the xbox 1 will soon be no more. My 360 is excellent best thing the gf has ever got me. I have played a ps3 and got to say I don't have a connection with it like the ps1, ps2 or even my old snes. It just feels for me like its different it don't look like a games console.

With the 360 it can easy cost you the same as a ps3, but one thing you need to see/try is live. Its excellent, something that I love about the 360.

Its all about the games for me and gears of war is something else. I only have about 4 games but thats enough...:smashin:

I was in a similar position to you vertical, my Xbox seemed to have come to the end of it's life, not that the machine was poor, but none of the new games were being released on it, so I sold it. I was deciding between PS3 and 360, but as I don't have a HD TV i had to decide which machine would give me the best picture on my 36" Toshiba using component 480p, and in the end went for the 360 and I'm well chuffed, it is awesome, and as pixelpixel mentioned, Gears of War is awesome! Also live is excellent, it has improved so much from the last time i used it with my original xbox.
I decided against the PS3 in the end purely because I figured that I was paying more for the Blu-Ray side of things that I wouldn't use for the foreseeable future. I must admit I was concerned about the reported failure rate of the 360's but in the end brought a combo package from Gamestation as they said that if it fails within a year they would replace it for a brand new one, no questions asked, can't go wrong with that!

In the end, whichever one you go for, I think you'll be well chuffed. :thumbsup:

g00nerUK

I was planning on spending as little as possible on a modded, big HDD XBOX1 from Ebay, ideally for under £100 with games included (Maybe higher priced) .

However after seeing the Argos XBOX 360 deal of £199.95 with free extras until Tuesday of 64mb memory unit, Fusion Frenzy 2, Pinata game and Pro Evolution Soccer 6 game, my decision is taking on an urgency. The games are my thing really but I could sell them/trade them in.

Thanks

Vertical

Argos also seem to be great with returns and also do a "3 Year Breakdown Cover - Video Games System." for £29.99 so may prove valuable?

I was also wondering Core or Premium but as the HDD should drop in price in the summer it may be best to wait until then?

Meaning buy the core and then buy a secondhand HDD in the summer.

Vertical

you are better off biting the bullet and buying a premium :) for starters you get the HDD, wireless controller and a headset for live communication. Also the premium packages offer you much better games, usually an extra wireless pad and all the above for £100 more

At the moment I'm really tempted by the Argos core system where you also get the memory card, PES6, Fusion Frenzy 2, Pinata game. For £200 although if I buy the vouchers today I'll get the two £10 vouchers free, maybe towards anothe game or wireless controller?

I've also seen a post where someone mentioned an Xbox 360 Premium at Costco for around £230? Has anyone heard about this? How much is it and what's included?

I've also read that the Elite is coming out on the 29.4.07 so what would be the expected price drop for the Premium and when?

I've got exams in May/June so nows not the best time to buy as I'll find it difficult/impossible to leave alone so an 8 week wait for be best especially if the price drops by then!

Thanks

Vertical

I've also read that the Elite is coming out on the 29.4.07 so what would be the expected price drop for the Premium and when

That release date is for the U.S, there has been no date set for the UK and It won't be for a good few months yet. So unless you're very patient......:D

..the Argos core system where you also get the memory card, PES6, Fusion Frenzy 2, Pinata game.

The Premium includes the HD cable too, so if your telly has component inputs, this will save you another £20 in cables, as well as having the wireless controller.

Don't underestimate quite how cool the wireless controller is - definitely worth stretching to the premium IMHO.

The HDD will allow you to download demos and game vids. To my mind, this is a big big part of the "nex gen" experience, on a par with the better graphics. If you have a decent internet connection where you'll be playing, then the premium makes even more sense. You're not going to download much onto a 64mb card.

I've got exams in May/June so nows not the best time to buy as I'll find it difficult/impossible to leave alone so an 8 week wait for be best especially if the price drops by then!

I hate to be boring, but the exams are the only important bit of your educational year - mess them up and it's 12 months or more wasted. FIFA messed with mine by scheduling the world cup during them, barstewards :rotfl:

Get the 360 after them and you might have saved up enough for the wheel and Forza 2 :thumbsup:

Ditto. Put your exams first. I have 3 courseworks due for May 4th and 3 exams in May, but I've spent the past hour on this forum putting off revision :D

If you buy a package from Game you can haggle for what you really want games wise, something that isnt possible via Argos etc.

If i were buying a 360 again id still go to Game as i haggled to get a 2nd game half price ;)

Thanks.

Even though I don't have an XBOX or any other console I've still spent the majority of the last weekend on various websites avoiding doing any work.

I know I shouldn't get one at the moment but I seem to have a bee in my bonnet at the moment. Hopefully I'll try to resist!

Vertical

You should go ahed and buy one, theres a lot of rumours about a price drop but they've been going since Christmas.
The bundles that are around at the moment are excellent, some of them are £170+ below the RRP for the stuff they give you!

Best deal around at the moment:
Choices UK: http://www.choicesuk.com/Product.aspx/!827473

Premium Console (£280)
Gears Of War (£18)
Crackdown (£30)
Project Gotham Racing 3 (£15)
Xbox Live Arcade Unplugged (£15)
Extra Wireless Pad (£20)

All for £299.99

Game is also worth a look, you can add Guitar Hero II to any bundle for £29.99!

So if you wanted a Core you could get:

Core Console (£200)
Viva Pinatta (£25)
Fusion Frenzy 2 (£20)
Guitar Hero II (£70)
Memory Unit (£20)

For £229.98

If you had you're heart set on Pro Evo then it can be bought for around £15 new anyway

I would recommend the Premium though, especially if you'll be going online. Even with a 20GB HDD it fills up quick because of extra content for games (levels, multiplayer maps, that sort of stuff), Xbox Live Arcade trials, Game Demos and music. With the moemory car you're pretty much restricted to game saves only

GUILTY

I bought one from Argos. Their £199.95 bundle with PES6, Viva Pinta (or something similar), fusion frenzy and a memory card.

However I bought £100 gift vouchers seperately to take advantage of spend £100 or over and get a £10 voucher. So I got 2 x £10 vouchers when I bought my £100 vouchers and the another £10 voucher when I bought the package and a £7.49 component cable.

So I've got the package with 3 games, memory card, component cable and around £22.50 in vouchers for £200.

I'm not particularly interested in PES6 I'd rather have COD3, hopefully I'll be able to swap or sell it.

I've also not got an internet connection, I may by summer but by then I should be able to buy a cheap HDD especially if the 120Gb are out by then!

Thanks

Vertical

GUILTY

I bought one from Argos. Their £199.95 bundle with PES6, Viva Pinta (or something similar), fusion frenzy and a memory card.

However I bought £100 gift vouchers seperately to take advantage of spend £100 or over and get a £10 voucher. So I got 2 x £10 vouchers when I bought my £100 vouchers and the another £10 voucher when I bought the package and a £7.49 component cable.

So I've got the package with 3 games, memory card, component cable and around £22.50 in vouchers for £200.

I'm not particularly interested in PES6 I'd rather have COD3, hopefully I'll be able to swap or sell it.

I've also not got an internet connection, I may by summer but by then I should be able to buy a cheap HDD especially if the 120Gb are out by then!

Thanks

Vertical

Shame u not got internet. xbox live is phenominal on the 360.:smashin:

If your games are sealed then u will get decent cash on ebay.
Just dont put Fusion Frenzy on. Terrible game really. But there is a hint of fun somewhere in it for a short time.
Sell em, keep viva pinata. and buy Gears of war, COD3, Crackdown, Test Drive Unlimited and PGR3. Could go on. (but depends what u like)

Enjoy your 360
It's wonderfull. :) With many, Many Very Impressive games.
Enjoy. Will only get better.

Hi.

I managed to return PES6 to Argos for £34.99 in vouchers.

I may try try this with the other games and get something else.

I've order from Play 3 games for £17.99 which are splinter cell, Gears of war and Lord of the rings: battle for middle earth.

I've ordered a wireless controller from shopto.net for £19.99.

As yet I've not even opened the xbox yet as I'm not interested in any of the games I've got so far.

Vertical

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom