Should I buy an iPhone from Ebay

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by George a L, Feb 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. George a L

George a L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
  2. Trap3

Trap3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Always be careful buying on ebay when it comes to expensive tech gadgets. My advice would be to always buy from a trusted seller and someone who has 100% feedback. Also check the feedback left by others who have bought the same device or very similar. Those things should help towards ensuring you get what you are paying for. As for issues, it could be the seller is claiming it is NEW and UNUSED, when it fact it could be a used phone, refurbished or have no, or a voided warranty. Things like that. Hope that helps a little.

3. Stiggy

Stiggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,043
  4. Professor Chaos

Professor Chaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
    Theres always the forums classifieds here. As long as you dont deal with zero rated sellers, and verify who the person is, you shouldnt have any issues. granted, there isnt the sort of protection Ebay offers, but people on here value their feedback too much and dont tend to mess around unlike Ebay.

5. Darvish

Darvish
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A few month
    I learned it! Thanks.

6. asprint

asprint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Another main issue you to need to fully understand is are you looking for a Fully unlocked 5S, one that can be used with any network provider whenever you wish and will NEVER get locked?

If you are then only a phone that has been bought directly from Apple will be fully unlocked, though some may have already been unlocked by the supplying network provider?

Many are listed on e-bay as being unlocked, when in reality they are only Sim's free. What that means is that the phone is supplied without a sim card and as such can be claimed to be unlocked to any network, which it is. However, the phone WILL lock to the first Sim card network that is fitted and you will then only be able to get the phone unlocked provided the ORIGINAL owner makes an application to the network for which there will be a fee of around £20 to pay. Chances are that once you have bought the phone the original owner will not want the hassle and so you will never be able to get it unlocked.

So if you are looking for a fully unlocked phone then you need to check that with the seller first or buy one directly from Apple.

E-bay phones for a 16G go from £400 to £460 compared to £549 FROM Apple, so there is a saving to be made if you are careful.

Provided the phone is still in its sealed box or has not had a card inserted and activated then you will get the full Apple warranty as it starts with the phone, not the person, once it is activated for the first time.

If seller claims it to be fully unlocked, in its original sealed box or has not been used and you find that not to be the case then you should have no problems getting your money back as it will not be as described.

You can check any of the above detail with Apple giving them the Serial and/or the IMEI No's.

7. wiz

wiz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,226
    Too risky!
    Buy from Apple

8. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Vodafone will do the first one free (apparently), £15 there after
    T-Mobile and Orange is £15.00 per phone.
    3 are supplying Sim Free phones at the moment, but who knows how long that will last.

9. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064
    I'm on my eighth new retail iPhone 5s due to build/cosmetic issues and I would only buy from Apple because they offer a 14 day no quibble exchange or refund and it's unocked. This is not the same as getting "as new" warranty replacement which may not be an option anyway if it's just a cosmetic issue that bug you.

10. alextodd

alextodd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well eBay makes it a bit risky, as there are a good number of fake sellers online, I would recommend you to go with any of the retail stores, they might be a bit expensive but they will be absolutely risk free.

11. furkan kardame

furkan kardame

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    i would recommend buying from other trusted website of big mobile phone companies
    as ebay got alot of dodgy stuff which u need to understand before buying
    plus the amount u would pay on ebay is always gonna be more then the amount u would pay to trusted company

Thank You

12. Sdavies8

Sdavies8
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a couple of iphones off eBay let me explain, the first phone was advertised as a 3GS , the seller had 100% feedback , however when the phone arrived it was only a 3G not the 3GS , the second phone was a brand new iPhone 5 still with the factory wrap around the box costing £400 a saving at the time of £129,I've had a total of 8 iPhone s and 6 them I've bought from apple ,you simply cannot beat their service , having said that the one iPhone I had off eBay was all good, you pays ur money you takes your chance

13. deltafx

deltafx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    if someone was selling say iphone 5s upgrade still in box and sealed .but then stop paying their contract could the network block the phone .sorry to jump on your post but i am sure you would like to know as well.

14. Sdavies8

Sdavies8
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From what I understand no , they do not block the phone just the sim , in extreme circumstances , for example is the phone is stolen then they could perhaps block the phone

15. furkan kardame

furkan kardame

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    But i have read on some listing that phone was working fine abt after feww days or week it stopped accepting signal which could b the first owner sold it n claimed for insurance n got new phone n previous one blocked
    Just becareful is what i can say

16. furkan kardame

furkan kardame

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yes the network blocks it so cannot use i the uk might work outside but not sure