1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I buy an IDTV?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by chrisabel, Jan 19, 2004.

1. chrisabel

chrisabel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need some advice please on whether I should buy an IDTV or a normal TV with a separate digital tuner. Sony claims an IDTV will produce a better quality picture due to the feed being pure digital wherea via a separate digital tuner the picture quality will be lower - see:

http://www.sony.co.uk/drc/digitaladvantage.html

I'm interested to see how much truth there is in Sony's claims and whether there are noticeable differences? Any comments please? Al

Also what are the pros and cons of having a IDTV that I should be aware of?

Many thanks

2. henchard

henchard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I recently took the plunge as I felt that IDTV's had progressed from the first generation and the price has fallen to sensible levels. No doubt some would argue that there is more flexibility with a separate box.

However, please be aware of my (and now it seems others) experience with Sony IDTV see

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=112578

This is a great shame because the TV is excellent when playing DVD's. Sony's hype may not quite reflect reality.

3. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Stupid question, sorry,

Do you need to leave the idtv on when recording?

4. guires

guires

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same stupid question that I asked a week or so ago!!

The answer appears to be no. You can leave the TV on standby and set a programmable timer to 'wake up' the digital tuner without having the TV on. I've not seen it demonstrated but since asking the question myself I have read reviews of the SONY 32DX150 which mentions this feature and at least one reply to my original post cited a Panasonic iDTV as having a similar feature.

5. ADENCOOL

ADENCOOL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i had a idtv for around 3 years now (i.e. on digital days)(grundig model) and would recommend a idtv to anyone - i personally belive the benfits outway the negatives.

in my family we have 1 grundig idtv (not made any more) 1 philips idtv (avoid philips idtv's) and a sony dx40.

if you want to buy one, i would personally go for the new sony dx50 or a panasonic.