Should i buy an avr600?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by phil1p, Jan 11, 2012.

Tags:
  1. phil1p

phil1p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, I wondered if I could get people's advice. I'm thinking of getting an Avr600 which arcam have give me a substantial discount on. It's a really good deal and I'm exceedingly tempted to go ahead with the purchase. However, I'm worried about the fact that people still seem to be having trouble with these units. I had a nightmare with the avr500 and I wouldn't want to go through all that again.

So, the big question is: are these units now free from the issues that used to plague them? I've looked on the avr600 owners forum and it makes for scary reading. However, the forums seems dominated by a small number of people who have had trouble in the past, or who are having continuing issues. I guess I'd like a sense of how representative this group is. Am I asking for trouble if I get the receiver? Or should it be okay?

I'd be really grateful for your advice on this.

2. stratosboy

stratosboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    had 2 x Avr 500's both went back due to overheating. Got a 600 with discount, and it's been faultless over last two years (apart from occasional pops, which don't worry me).
    Sound is superb = It's a yes from me !

3. Rock Danger

Rock Danger
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,672
    I would say yes if you're getting it sub £2,500. The 3d board is gonna cost you £500 should you want one, so you would really need to have a grand off retail and the full 5 yr warranty to make it worth the while.

I've had no trouble with mine, it used to be a bit of a pain in the ass with some pops using my htpc but the latest fw as killed most of it off and pops in Sky are very rare. Also I can send it in, for free and have that popping corrected.

Also sonically there isn't an amp that will touch it until you get up to 5k-ish.

If you don't want to biamp your fronts then get an Anthem MRX700 and don't pay the RRP on it, I'm sure you could walk away with one for £1,800-ish

4. Wag

Wag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Very true.......

I was very early owner of the 600 and have had very few problems. At the moment, I have no problems whatsoever.

Maybe this is in part due to the different way people use their machines. I use mine for audio only. Video goes direct to my display without going through the 600. I just have one HDMI from the 600 in case I need to access the menu and that's it.

Personally I would wholeheartedly recommend it!

5. phil1p

phil1p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, thanks for your replies, they are very helpful.

The deal would be to get the avr for 1999, which I think is a very good deal, as long as the thing works!

Rock danger, I'm not very interested in 3d, but I get he impression from the owners thread that the new board fixes various other problems. I'm not so keen on the idea of having to spend a extra 500 to have a machine without bugs. If I got the avr and didn't bother wi the new board, do you think i would have issues?

Many thanks again.

6. Seriously Ltd

Seriously Ltd
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    AVR 600 for £1999. I would snap it up in an instant if I did not already have a very reliable and trouble free 500!!

7. Deep and fast

Deep and fast
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I paid £950 for my avr500 and I thought that was a good deal but...

8. Seriously Ltd

Seriously Ltd
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    That was a cracking deal my AVR 500 was £1299 and more than worth every penny. I would have been impressed at full retail price it's sounds so good.

9. DOBLY

DOBLY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +560
    That sounds like a great outcome - a saving of approx. 45% for having a bad experience with another Arcam product. Top marks to Arcam (or your dealer) for offering such a deal. As has been posted above, there is nothing as good for the (RRP) money, it is just a question of getting a good one that works well with your other equipment, and having the full back-up offered by Arcam (which I am sure you will).

I do not own an AVR600 but would personally bite the arm off for such a generous outcome.

Good luck !!

10. Rock Danger

Rock Danger
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,672
    That is indeed a good deal, but then given the markup on Arcam it's not terribly surprising. The 3d board will give you video passthru and thus eliminating the 23.967hz bug altho some say it's been addressed in the last FW upgrade.. just no one wants to say it definitely has :laugh:

I would say that there a 99% chance you're going to have issues, but it'll be pops and bangs which you can get corrected by Arcam (apparently). Any other bug is going to be the occasional HDMI handshake fail which happens on all HDMI products.

Try it, if you don't like it then send it back - if mine isn't cured I'm sending mine back and getting something else, which is why I mentioned Anthem. Explain to your dealer that the offer is awesome but you're not prepared for that to affect your statutory / consumer rights.

11. KevinO

KevinO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sorry to be a lazy so and so (for not trawling the threads to find the answer) but can you tell me what ths symptoms of the 23.967hz bug are - I have a 500 that works great but I do get a judder in Sky sourced satellite material now and again and wondered if this could be the dreaded "bug"?:lease:

12. Rock Danger

Rock Danger
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,672

13. phil1p

phil1p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I think I'm going to go for it, just as soon as I pay off these Christmas credit card bills . . . !

14. KevinO

KevinO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks Rockdanger - I think I can live with it, especially now I understand the science behind it!

15. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I would bite their hand off at that price but if you can I would ask for the upgraded 3d board at a discount or FOC as that way you are future proofed and it will be fitted by the manufacturer ;)

16. Rock Danger

Rock Danger
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,672
    I think they cost the dealer approx £300 and £50 of the £500 is to install it AFAIK. Can't see him getting it FOC.

17. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    If you don't ask .....
    Even a discounted board is worth having an it should limit future problems.

I'm actually surprised the amp doesn't ship with the new board now ???

18. Rock Danger

Rock Danger
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,672
    Think it's optional or going to be optional, but they're 4 grand last I heard.