Should I buy an Amp to go with my AV receiver

iainl2005

Established Member
Reaction score
I currently have a Denon AVR 1906 Receiver wired up to 2 Kef IQ5s and wharfedale 9.1 surrounds and was wondering if it would be worth my while getting some sort of Amp to boost the sound through my speaker, would it be worth my while and if so what should I get.

The reciever should be ample for the speakers you are driving, quoted 80W a channel, so that would be about 180watt all channels driven at the same time which is very loud. How big is your room?
Do you own a SUB, which one, if not that would give it impact if you choose right.

Andy98765 said:
The reciever should be ample for the speakers you are driving, quoted 80W a channel, so that would be about 180watt all channels driven at the same time which is very loud. How big is your room?
Do you own a SUB, which one, if not that would give it impact if you choose right.

Now this sounds quite interesting:) 80watts per channel that becomes 180watts when all channels are driven! I don't think this is how things audio work, if the (true)max rated output is 80watts all channels driven, then that is the max output in watts that may be achieved. Marketing department add up the output of all channels and come up with a figure that sounds impressive.

This sounds like a friend of mine who believed if he connected six output channels(50w per channel) to two speakers that he would get 150watts per channel.

Okay to answer the original question. If you feel that there is not enough power to drive your speakers using the 1906, the first option would be to get a powered sub and set your main speakers to small. This way the 1906 will not have to deal with as much bass and will provide more drive to your main speakers. Off course if you still feel that there is not enough power, you could start looking at driving your main speakers with external power amps, but do take it one step at a time, look at speaker positioning, room layout, etc before laying out any cash.

As well as looking at the power specifications (watts), to get the optimum sound from your system, you must also check the impedance values (measured in ohms).

It is advisable to always ensure that the impedance values of your speakers matches the rated impedance specifications of the amplifer.

to answer the OP's question rather than get in to the watt debate...heh

the IQ5's can thrive on better amplification than what you are currently giving them...the Denon is a fine AV amp, but can happily be beaten in stereo by most £200 stereo amps....and with IQ5's spending more can yield better results.....likewise feeding them a decent CD player rather than from a DVD player (i assume thats what you are doing?)

If you have a total budget of around £400-500, look at Cambridge Audio, NAD and Marantz and good potential partners for amp and CD players together...or if you can go higher, consider makes such as entry level Arcam..
or if you dont mind going second hand then you got Arcam, Musical Fidelity, Cyrus, plus many more worth considering....

with amps, altho a high wattage should mean its capable of powering the speakers effectively, this isnt always the case, they need a good solid power supply as well, otherwise the amp will be drawing more than the PS can give which will fail the amp as well......so high watts is good, but a heavy box usually means a nice chunky power supply...heh...so give it a lift, if you struggle then it shouldnt be bad...(still no guarantee tho, but a good indicator)

Andy98765 said:
yeah I have got the Wharfedale Sub 150.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom