Should I buy a vpl-hs60

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by leoking, Mar 23, 2006.

1. leoking

leoking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to buy a projector for home cinema and have seen the vpl-hs60. I have read various reviews and it seems to stack up well.

I had a few concerns: first was with the "screen door effect", I know this is common with LCD projectors but is it something you can easily live with and how bad is it on this model?

Second: Until I update my DVD system will an s-video connection to my DVD player be adequate quality?

Third (maybe a stupid question): When it receives a High def image (i.e. when sky starts broadcasting) does it project a high def image or does it convert it to regular PAL?

Does anyone have or can anyone recommend me getting this model... I on't know what to get! or should I go for a DLP (I have about £1500)

thanks for your help- sorry for all the questions

Leo

2. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Welcome to the forum

Alot of the questions you are asking are already asnswered so have a flic through and brush up on the different effects from different projectors,£1500 is no small amount to spend if you are not sure.
    The HS60 has a fair bit of praise here but you are right in the ball park of the optoma H72i, Sanyo Z4, Panasonic AE900, Hitachi PJXT200 and the list goes on, My advise is to read up on all these projectors and see what you think.

I have a Z4 and am very happy with it.

Cheers Darko

3. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I had a few concerns: first was with the "screen door effect", I know this is common with LCD projectors but is it something you can easily live with and how bad is it on this model?

I have had several PJ's and it really isnt any worse than any other LCD pj I have had. My veiwing distance is 18 feet and my screen is 8ft wide :)

Second: Until I update my DVD system will an s-video connection to my DVD player be adequate quality?

Obviously the better the source the better the picture. If you compare side by side a good SVideo against a good HDMI then the HDMI win hands down. If you compare a good SVideo against poor HDMI then you may find the Svideo is better. Get my drift? :smashin:

Third (maybe a stupid question): When it receives a High def image (i.e. when sky starts broadcasting) does it project a high def image or does it convert it to regular PAL?

No. Youre gonna get a lovely HiDef picture :thumbsup:

Does anyone have or can anyone recommend me getting this model... I on't know what to get! or should I go for a DLP (I have about £1500)

Yes. I have one. And if it was crap or even remotely suspect it would have gone by now ;)

PS If your local and want a demo then your welcome to have a butchers at my setup :)

4. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Jak daws likes his HS60 so much he's even written it twice in his signature.:smashin:

5. leoking

leoking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for all your help...that will definitely get me started

cheers

6. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I hadnt noticed. But it is twice as good as one of my previous PJ's :rotfl: :rotfl:

7. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,076
    I have not seen a HS60 but from what i have read on these forums and the reviews it sounds as though you wont go far wrong. I used to have an LCD and yes sde was an issue but only really on scenes with a lot of smoke or mist, apart from that i didnt really notice a great deal. This was on a Z2 which is two generations older than the HS60.

As for DLP for the price you are looking at you also need to determine whether you need lens shift or not; most, if not all, DLPs at that price point will not have this feature. This feature makes it a breaze to set the pj up. I have a DLP now and do prefer the image that i was getting to LCD and there is no sde at all, not even on smoke or mist filled scenes. I have not compared this to the latest generation of LCDs though.