Should I buy a VCR?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by online, Feb 24, 2004.

Tags:
  1. online

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having just bought a new Loewe Xelos TV, my thoughts turned to replacing our very old and ropey VCR. Then I became aware of Pace Twins and the like, and doubts set in. Is a new VCR a waste of money?

Presumably though, even with something like a Pace Twin you still need a half-decent VCR to archive stuff onto, and to watch your old tapes on?

Advice please!

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Yes, even a tivo or pace/humax box does have limits on it's hard disc, if you are of a hoarding disposition. You can upgrade the disc size, to humungous in the case of tivo, but you still can't play tapes you've got or archive. It's cost effective now to go for s-vhs, and the quality is way better than std. vhs machines. I picked up an ex-display in currys recently for £75, that's got to be a bargain. It had no remote, but then I have a pronto, so no worries. You'll find a proper one for just over £100 now in any case.

3. online

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. Sounds like I'd better start saving for a new VCR and a Pace Twin! Anything else I need?

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Why archive to tape when you can now archive to DVD with a DVD Recorder.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Cos S-VHS are 1/3 of the cost, and a dvd recorder won't play any tapes you have. But not for any other reason. Shame there are no DVD recorders with freeview tuners yet. You still get a poxy analogue tuner.

6. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    True they are cheaper but it stops right there.

For quality, convenience and size, DVD will be a MUCH better option. Blank disks are a LOT cheaper than SVHS tapes too.

Get a half decent VHS vcr and a DVD recorder so you can archive your old tapes to DVD.

Do you have a camcorder?

I'm only speaking from recent experience where I have archived lots of my old VHS/SVHS tapes to DVD as well as several of my brother's camcorder tapes.

The quality you get on the DVD is identical to the original tape, except it's on disk complete with thumbnail images, easy access etc.

Also direct off air recordings will be better quality than SVHS too.

Once you've see 'em on DVD you'll never use tape again.

Personallly, I think you're wasting your money in buying a SVHS vcr. Once you've experienced DVD recordings you'll never look back.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Once you've seen a pace you'll never want to use an analogue dvd recorder again....

8. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Yes, but I was talking more from an archiving point of view which a Pace can oly act as a source.

:lesson:
    Seems a shame that if there's a TV series that you have recorded on the Pace HD in digital quality and then archive it to grainy SVHS, where as you could archive an identical quality copy to DVD.

Think about it .

Incidentally, I use a Pan E100 HD/DVD combo.

I was using SVHS for several years and was more than happy with it. That was until I discovered DVD-R.