Should I buy a TV with HDMI 2.1 for gaming on an Xbox Series X?

I've just bought an Xbox Series X for the first time, and it'll be my first gaming console I've owned for over 15 years (I've been a PC gamer up until now). Whilst I'm quite tech savvy in terms of PCs, I'm not really up to date tech wise on televisions.

I was looking to buy a 43" 4k TV to use with my Xbox, but having done some research it seems that TVs with HDMI 2.1 are better as apparently you're able to play at 120fps instead of 60fps. Is this correct?

If so, that seems a bit of a pain as my TV budget was around £300 max, and whilst I wouldn't be able to get an absolute top of the range TV for that price, I did find some really good looking ones on Amazon that I would've been content with. Now I'm thinking though that I may have to pay a bit extra to get a TV with HDMI 2.1 instead of 2.0 if I'll be able to play at 120fps as opposed to 60fps.

The thing is as well though, I noticed that a lot of the HDMI 2.1 TVs only have a 60hz refresh rate, so wouldn't that mean that the fps would be capped at 60 anyway?

I'd massively appreciate some advice with this, and if possible I'd love to get some links to a decent TV with HDMI 2.1 for around the £300 mark (if that's even possible?).

Thanks all.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I've just bought an Xbox Series X for the first time, and it'll be my first gaming console I've owned for over 15 years (I've been a PC gamer up until now). Whilst I'm quite tech savvy in terms of PCs, I'm not really up to date tech wise on televisions.

I was looking to buy a 43" 4k TV to use with my Xbox, but having done some research it seems that TVs with HDMI 2.1 are better as apparently you're able to play at 120fps instead of 60fps. Is this correct?

HDMI 2.1 is the first version that has the bandwidth to transmit 4K at 120fps. Earlier versions will do high frame rates at lower resolutions though.

It also requires the TV to be capable of displaying 120hz and you'll probably find no TVs in your budget are 120hz anyway - it tends to be a feature on upper mid-range models and above.

And unlike PC many console versions of games won't have the option to run at 120fps.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom