1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

should I buy a tft

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by neilo, May 11, 2003.

1. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Im considering getting rid of my Monitor and getting a Dell 17" tft...should I splash out £500 or not ?

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I've just replaced my 17in CRT with a Samsung Syncmaster 191T TFT (19 in) monitor. Apart from the fact that it's less than 6 inches front to back rather than the 15 inches of the CRT, it looks fantastic and the picture quality at the native resolution of 1280*1024 is awesome. It can also be tilted 90 degrees so you get a portrait picture which is great for writing documents as you get a full A4 page on the screen.

On the slight downside if you have fast pans in games or when watching DVD's, there is a slight ghosting but it's barely noticable.

I'd certainly never go back to CRT.

HTH

John

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Personnally I'm sticking with CRT because of the superior picture quailty. It is a shame my screen is so damn deep though.

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same here, I've used TFT's and IMO a CRT beats it for overall PQ. My 19" CRT is deep, but I don't mind sacrificing the desk space used.

5. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I will be sticking with my two 21" Sony F520 CRT's for a while longer mainly due to the lack of TFT's running at 1600x1200 res at a resonable price and I also think that the colour reproduction on the CRT's is better.

I guess it really depends on what you plan to use the screen for. If it's for office type stuff or internet then TFT's rule...but for photo editing/games or DVD playback then CRT's are better IMO.

Cheers, Lee

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I prefer TFT over CRT, but then I don't play games on my PC. I find TFT far easier on the eyes, particularly when wearing contact lenses :)

7. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    SG, so you prefer CRT when not wearing contact lenses?!

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, still prefer TFT mate, both visually and in terms of comfort with or without contact lenses. It's just that, when wearing contact lenses, the difference in comfort is more significant.

9. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A good TFT via DVI is excellent.

Used TFT's now for the last 3 years - never go back to CRT.

BTW, no problems gaming for me on a Hitachi CML174 (fast pixel response). Looks pretty sweet too :)

10. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine is connected via DVI :) TBH I've never really tried gaming on it as PC gaming isn't really of interest to me. I just assumed they were worse for it as I have read a few posts that say they are. Like you Kramer, I certainly couldn't go back to CRT now either. Was so impressed with the quality of the TFT on my laptop, made me want to ditch CRT for my desktop too. The added desk space is a godsend too :)

11. Aladdin

Aladdin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was happy with my 15" CRT until it broke. Then I thought I might as well go for a TFT and went for a cheapish 17" Benq model. I use it mainly for video and photo editing, and internet surfing for which it's fine. I haven't tried games though.

I'm not connecting through DVI but just analogue and the picture quality is more than acceptable to me.

I now have a flat screen, more screen real-estate compared to an equivalent sized CRT, plus more desk space. A CRT may have the edge in terms of picture quality (but not that I particularly noticed) but I personally am glad I went for the TFT and won't go back to a CRT.

12. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Just over a year ago I bought a new PC for video editing. Not having loads of desk space and needing 2 monitors I decided to go TFT.
    I did a lot of research on TFT and found that the cheaper TFT's were not very good. I then found a reveiw of several TFT screens and the winner by a large margin was the Eizo screens. So I ended up getting 2 Eizo TFT's costing just short of £900 :eek: . These screens really are great, but then again about 6 months ago all our PC's at work were replaced with new Dell's and the TFT's that came with them are terrible :( , but I have also seen other Dell TFT's that do look a lot better :rolleyes: .
    So like everything in life there is good and bad, just do the research. Would I go back to CRT? Yes if the money was tight or the space wasn't, but it would have to be a good CRT to get me to buy it.

Mark.

13. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Cheers for your replies guys..I wish there was a place you could "test drive" the screens ............about the DVI connections do you need to install an adaptor or will a PC have one already ?

14. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your graphics card determines the connection. If it has a DVI connector, then all is well :)

15. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    cheers Squirrel will have a look tonight
    what Screen do you have ?

16. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't want to say, sorry. It's a great screen IMO, but I have a (long) legal dispute with the company in question over another PC component (regarding a refund for defective goods) which is being handled by my credit card company. Given their shocking behaviour towards me (and many other customers, who the credit card company are also fighting for), I refuse to give them any free advertising :)

17. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Begins with a "D"?

Mate has had problems with "D" over 8K of laptops arrived DOA, refused any type of replacement/refund.

18. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    hmmm "D" the ones I was gonna buy from ? lol
    No worries Squirrel I understand..as a fellow contact lens wearer I was just curious

19. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Re DVI:

Yes most (decent) graphics cards have DVI connectors, but not all TFT monitors accept DVI - something to be aware of when buying.

DVI produces far better results than VGA, being a 100% digital transfer method.

The Samsung 181/191t TFTs are great with the newer fast response displays being better for gaming.

20. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I won't say if it begins with D or not :D

Kramer, I didn't know that some TFTs come without DVI input. I learned something today :clap:

21. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I saw a really nice Sony the other day ..but the next model up has built in speakers not too sure bout that..but the pic did look stunning

22. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,760
    Me strokes my 18" Eizo :D

23. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah, I recently bought an Eizo L685 18" TFT - very nice too. Best bit is that it was a recon, so cost just over £300 plus VAT - cheapest I saw new was £700. Got it from http://www.sterlingxs.co.uk/system/index.html - they don't have any more, but they do have (new) Dell 17" TFTs for £300 plus VAT.

DVI definitely an improvement - mainly not so much flicker when scrolling/moving things on screen.

24. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    hmm the dell is over £100 cheaper than on the dell wesite.has anyone else used this company ?

25. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  26. dsr99

dsr99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought a pair of AOC 720a's from PC Nextday for £299each.

I waited ages before buying them as I do play alot of games and couldn't decide if I was better with my 2 19" Dell Trinitrons which took all of my desk, or the TFT's.

Overall I'm well please with the TFT's. They only have 25ms response times, but I can't see any ghosting at all.

Luckily neither of them have any dead pixels either.

Even the wife likes em :)

The only thing is that Dabs had the Iiyama 17" ones with 20ms response for 316, but I didn't see em until I'd placed the order - isn't it always the same!!!

Dave

27. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    thanks to richardh for that link I bought the dell and its perfect........now I need new graphics card that has dvi and recomendations around the £100 mark

28. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Slightly > £100, but a Radeon 9500 Pro (128mb) would be my choice.

:smoke:

29. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    cheers Kramer will have a surf round for prices

30. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    the 9500 is above my budget wot do you think of the 9000pro ?