Should I buy a tablet or laptop?

CarterUSM

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi

My Apple IoS tablet is approaching the end of its life and consequently I am looking to replace it, but I’m not sure if I should get another tablet, or buy a laptop/netbook instead.

Ideally I need something with both Word & Excel (or similar applications such as Libre Office), and a physical keyboard (as opposed to touch screen) with mouse connectivity (not a mouse incorporated into the keyboard). I really don’t want anything based on IoS, as I have lost the functionality of numerous apps as they are updated, due to their incompatibility with my ancient tablet.

Also, I would prefer a model with at least 64GB internal storage (I’m assuming this is the bare minimum industry standard now).

Apple also has the very useful ability to mirror the screen to TV, and ideally I’d like any replacement to have this functionality as well.

Should I just buy a laptop, or would a laptop/tablet hybrid be suitable? I’d be willing to spend up to about £500. Any advice, suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Hi

My Apple IoS tablet is approaching the end of its life and consequently I am looking to replace it, but I’m not sure if I should get another tablet, or buy a laptop/netbook instead.

Ideally I need something with both Word & Excel (or similar applications such as Libre Office), and a physical keyboard (as opposed to touch screen) with mouse connectivity (not a mouse incorporated into the keyboard). I really don’t want anything based on IoS, as I have lost the functionality of numerous apps as they are updated, due to their incompatibility with my ancient tablet.

Also, I would prefer a model with at least 64GB internal storage (I’m assuming this is the bare minimum industry standard now).

Apple also has the very useful ability to mirror the screen to TV, and ideally I’d like any replacement to have this functionality as well.

Should I just buy a laptop, or would a laptop/tablet hybrid be suitable? I’d be willing to spend up to about £500. Any advice, suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in anticipation.
Laptop/hybrid but your budget may not get you much in terms of that (unless you buy a tablet + keyboard / wireless mouse).

£500 is plenty enough to get a laptop that will easily cover what the OP wants to do. Which model they get is really down to what they want.

Hi,

I agree with finbaar that £500 is plenty enough for what you want, you don't need to spend more than this, but equally you shouldn't spend less than £390, so around £420-460 should be your ideal target price.

Unfortunately you haven't said what size laptop, so my general recommendation to you would be to get one with the following spec: CPU - Intel Core i3-1115G4, RAM - 8GB, SSD - 256GB, Screen - Full HD 1920x1080, Wi-Fi - Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax), Backlit keyboard.

This 15.6" Asus VivoBook A513EA from AO.com for £449 is a good example of what I mean: A513EA-BQ1355T | Asus Laptop | ao.com. There's a code on the page with an extra £20 off too. Buy any USB 3.0 2.4GHz wireless mouse you find comfortable to use for around £10.

You can mirror any laptop screen to your TV just using an HDMI cable, and all laptops will have an HDMI port.

Last edited:
Hi,

I agree with finbaar that £500 is plenty enough for what you want, you don't need to spend more than this, but equally you shouldn't spend less than £390, so around £420-460 should be your ideal target price.

Unfortunately you haven't said what size laptop, so my general recommendation to you would be to get one with the following spec: CPU - Intel Core i3-1115G4, RAM - 8GB, SSD - 256GB, Screen - Full HD 1920x1080, Wi-Fi - Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax), Backlit keyboard.

This 15.6" Asus VivoBook A513EA from AO.com for £449 is a good example of what I mean: A513EA-BQ1355T | Asus Laptop | ao.com. There's a code on the page with an extra £20 off too. Buy any USB 3.0 2.4GHz wireless mouse you find comfortable to use for around £10.

You can mirror any laptop screen to your TV just using an HDMI cable, and all laptops will have an HDMI port.
Thanks very much for your advice. Sorry, I should have clarified at the time - I would prefer to be able to mirror wirelessly, rather than use an HDMI cable. Do you have any more recommendations/advice based on this?

Again it's no problem mirroring wirelessly and this tech is built-in to W10 via the Wireless Projection User Interface, or you can download and use Miracast (Wi-Fi Direct) if your TV supports it, and if the TV doesn't support it, you can buy the MS Wireless Display Adapter V2 to plug into your TV instead.

Conduct a search using your favourite engine 'mirror W10 laptop to TV wirelessly' and there's loads of results including YouTube vids.

For info: Understanding Windows 10 Wireless Projection.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom