• Apologies for the inconvenience, but AVForums will be down from 6am Thursday 21st January 2021 for quite some time while we perform a major update to our core software. See what changes are coming.

Should I buy a sony KDL46W2000 ?

A

Alfiebaker

Hi,

I was referred here from some of the guys on the www.mbclub.co.uk forum as this place being the font of all knowledge on LCD TV's. Having read some of the threads here, there seems to be an abundance of knowledge.

I have pretty much narrowed my choice of TV down to a Sony KDL46W2000.

I'd like to know what you think of this TV compared to others. I've heard that Panasonic are good also. I will be using it for Freeview and normal DVD playback to start with. I'll never have Sky but might go for NTL at some point. Will this TV give me as good a picture as there is in the 46" LCD market given the input sources I have?

chrise

Novice Member
Hi,

I was referred here from some of the guys on the www.mbclub.co.uk forum as this place being the font of all knowledge on LCD TV's. Having read some of the threads here, there seems to be an abundance of knowledge.

I have pretty much narrowed my choice of TV down to a Sony KDL46W2000.

I'd like to know what you think of this TV compared to others. I've heard that Panasonic are good also. I will be using it for Freeview and normal DVD playback to start with. I'll never have Sky but might go for NTL at some point. Will this TV give me as good a picture as there is in the 46" LCD market given the input sources I have?
This thread has lots of information but its very long.

Freeview through its own tuner is as good as I have seen it. DVD can be very good but is dependant on the DVD player and connection. The w series picture needs carefully setting up to get the best performance.

However this is an expensive set to use for SD sources only. It really excels on HD sources which you seem to be excluding (unless you plan to get the HD service from NTL at some future point) so why pay for a specification you will not use?

A

Alfiebaker

This thread has lots of information but its very long.

Freeview through its own tuner is as good as I have seen it. DVD can be very good but is dependant on the DVD player and connection. The w series picture needs carefully setting up to get the best performance.

However this is an expensive set to use for SD sources only. It really excels on HD sources which you seem to be excluding (unless you plan to get the HD service from NTL at some future point) so why pay for a specification you will not use?
Thanks for the info. Does anyone know what the time frame for HD on NTL and Freeview is?

T

THFC West Lower

I have this screen and it's a beauty. :thumbsup:

I fail to see why you would want full 1080p capability when you'll only be viewing SD though.

Are you going to be using an XBox or PS3?

chrise

Novice Member
Thanks for the info. Does anyone know what the time frame for HD on NTL and Freeview is?
On NTL I am not sure but given it is available on Telewest and they have now merged I would not think it will be long try asking them. No decision as yet on Freeview but there is no available bandwidth until after the analogue shut down which is due to be completed 2012 after that its anyones guess.

A

Alfiebaker

I have this screen and it's a beauty. :thumbsup:

I fail to see why you would want full 1080p capability when you'll only be viewing SD though.

Are you going to be using an XBox or PS3?

I've learnt a lot already!

So assuming I dont go for the full 1080 W model would the picture quality under SD / Freeview be the same between the V, S and W series?

Thanks guys, this is really helping to make the decision process much clearer.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom