1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I buy a Servo 15?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by nathan_silly, Aug 31, 2003.

1. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I order the Servo 15 over the phone? Do you think the Servo 15 is a upgrade over a Rel Storm V1?

I would like a Servo 15 in veneer finish- are the models from RS at £400 just for cheapy vinyl wrap?

Not sure if it's too big... see below pic from a 3D image from the listening position. Main speakers are Kef 2.2's- do you think the Servo is in the way? I can't move a subwoofer anywhere else.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Nathan - The picture is not very clear? It looks like you are sitting in a room full of boxes!

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Picture with a SVS 20hz cylinder model..

Attached Files:

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pwiles- the larger dark red box are the main AV speakers- the dark grey box is the end of the bed; and the cream box is the Servo; the black cylinder is the SVS.

I've just taken the picture looking at the area the subwoofer will be... just to get a idea of a subwoofer blocking the right speaker.

5. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +505
    Nathan

Servo 15 is 51cm high, 47 wide and 58 deep. I Can't really tell too much from your attached images :( as to what you're trying to show.

The Servo is a big box and no mistake. It depends on the size of your room as to whether it's going to be an eyesore. I bought mine from a guy whose HC room was no more than 10 x 10. He had it behind the sofa and sandwiched next to his AV kit. Where it didn't look out of place.

I have mine in a lounge 23' x 13' and have it sat between my front floorstanders on the short wall. With my centre speaker above it. I didn't do too much messing around. It seemed ok here from day one.

Hope this helps

Chris

6. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +505
    Nathan

Almost forgot. I believe the 15 is only available in black from RS. Never heard of anyone getting anything else other than this colour. Old Henry Ford at work here methinks ;)

Chris

7. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,165
    You can order from a store over the phone, but would suggest you go in, in person: RS are notorious for "not" getting orders in for their customers.

The REL Storm is a fine sub, without a doubt. But they roll off way before they get anywhere close to 20hz, and even when they do get close to this distortion becomes a significant factor.

Playing a 15hz test-tone through my DVD player, the window frame at the back of my living room starts to shake at close to reference level. In the room above, my PC monitor screens start flickering:devil:

Basically this beast goes way below 20hz, with little distortion.

Many people mention subs bottoming out on the Toy Story 2 intro and AOTC. Well I've played both of these at reference levels and yes it's scary, and no the sub didn't run out of steam. I think Dimmy was the last person to have a demo of my system....AOTC was played at -10db (THX reference) and it sounded superb. Put it this way....you'll never need to use the Bass Peak limiter again:D

However, unless you get an X30 the only controls you have is the "on/off" switch and a volume control. Although with your Lexicon you won't need anything else, just control the crossover from your processor.

Several people have commented however, that the Servo-15 isn't as good with music as something like the Storm, but I'm not sure if that comes down to the setting up or not. If you ask The Beekeeper or Steve.Ex I'm sure they'll be able to give you more advice on this (music for me has never been a factor as my system is 99% AV).

Black ash finish only, unfortunately. I did see one in cherry go on ebay a few months back...the seller had added the cherry finish himself.

Email me the .mst file if you want, it easier to do a 3-D walk through:)

The most incredible thing about the Servo 15 is the price. It's been commented on in a number of reviews that Dual Servos are equivalent to an HGS-18, although like anything to do with subs I think this would be fiercely contested by the HGS owners.

Regardless, its a fine sub, which goes very very deep with little distortion. The downsides are it's big, it's (traditionally) difficult to get hold of, and you have to deal with Richer Sounds.

Cheers
    Matt

8. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'll give you a good guide on the relatiove performance.... storm has made way for a servo 15 and i will hope to get to testing it over the next week.

By all accounts, at £399, the servo is just incredible..... sure chris has gone for it instead of the svs (itself a bargain) yet the servo costs half as much! :eek:

I think if you can fit it in, the servo is almost a no brainer.

Ad

9. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    oh and i ordered mine by phone..... just make good and sure you chase them up repeatedly over the next couple of days..... in fact on ordering, just make sure that the guy rings the warehouse and gets you exact time details!

Ad

10. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I picked up my Servo on Thursday and I'm delighted with it. I also have a MK1 Storm and a Paradigm PS1000. Although I've not done any direct comparisons it's way ahead of my other subs. My initial reaction was that there was less bass but it's actually the reduced distortion. Everyone in the family has commented on it especially when their sitting next to it!

To tell you the truth we've had so much fun watching movies I've still not set it up properly or tried it in different locations. I played and Avia test tone and it seemed flatter than I could ever get my Storm and it goes down to 20Hz easily. I don't have an X30 but think a BFD might be more worthwhile.

I'm toying with going back to buy another one as when our extensions finished the cinema will be at one end of a 16'x34' room. However, I can't help thinking that it will be overkill.

In short I'd buy one and sell it on if it doesn't work out. If you take out a supercare package you should be able to resell it for £350+ with ease.

11. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    The Servo used to be available in Cherry as I nearly bought one. I was told that they ordered a couple of cherry finish ones per container load. It is just as likely that someone at RS purchasing put in the wrong order code. ;)

And it was cherry finish as it was there in front of me in the shop! This was however about 4 or so years ago.
    It looked like real wood but was the standard servo box not like they are now with the real wood and curved sides.

Paradigm don't allow mail order so the deals have to be done with the local store which I guess means no special orders.

12. blue73

blue73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I ordered mine by phone and I'll be orderin me other by phone too. Get two 15s its the way forward:clown:

13. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The only thing about the cheap servos is that i suspect 2 servos is going to be too much for alot of people! I'm fairly sure that it would be plain silly in my room!

Ad

14. blue73

blue73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeh I know its silly but hell you've got to give it a go. And, well put it this way, If (or when) I find out its too much there is no shortage of people that wouldn't want to buy it off me aye..

But you are most probably right though..............:devil: It will still be cool though......he he.......My God a dts soundtrack through 2 '15s..Crikey

15. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,165
    Or a Dolby Digital one?:rolleyes:

16. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe if someone decides that two Servo's are too much- I could buy one of them?

Matt? :)

17. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,165
    hehe;) Not a chance.....

Tonight I've watched The Hunted on R1 DVD....theres a moment at 1:01 where some seriously low LFE kicks in. It's subtle, but it's waaay below 20hz, I just felt an uncomfortable pressure in the room, couldn't hear hardly a thing.

I shouted upstairs to my flatmate: "Was that a train that just went past?" [NB: my house is right next to the railway line and when a train goes past the thrum goes right through the house].

"No," he shouted back. "It's your bloody sub".

:D :D

18. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    haha, I think the Servo is Matt's one (or twice) true love.

19. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,165
    The Servo 15 has too deep a voice for me:D

20. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And it's not ported :)

21. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,165
    One thing's for sure, it doesn't have a feminine side:D

22. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Haha...

Steering back toward the thread topic, Nathan_Silly, if you've the space to acommodate it, buy it!

23. blue73

blue73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Smurf man I hope you're not tryin to start a DD/dts war my friend................:devil: 'cos if you are I'm on your side..He He:smashin:

24. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,165
    Moi? As if.....;)

25. blue73

blue73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Aaaah the bloke in us all is a sub................. Big , Loud, unported...Aye hang on, unported...but..........oh:rolleyes:

26. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep ;)