Should I buy a PS3?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by KJK1LL3R, Sep 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KJK1LL3R

KJK1LL3R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am planning to buy a PS3 when PES 2008 comes out at the end of october. Is the PS3 likely to go down in price by that time or do you guys think i should just go and buy a PS3 now?

2. tim68

tim68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    Hey mate. Unlikely to be a price drop at the moment but there are plenty of good deals if you shop around. Just have a look at PS3 package deals thread on the PS3 forum.

Tim

3. dazza74

dazza74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,394
    Let me consult my crystal ball :rolleyes:

It's already had the price drop in some respects with the bundled two games and a controller. Best bet if there is nothing you want now, buy it when PES is released.

4. d4v34

d4v34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If there's nothing you want to play now then personally I would wait for the PS3 with the 65nm chips to be released (dunno when that would be tho, they were supposed to be in production in the first quarter of 2007).
    The smaller chips require less power and are cooler running so the power supply and cooling solution could change.
    My personal experience is with my PS3 in the front room (in free space) and the fan ramps up to level 3 which is distracting when playing a DVD or BluRay

I have to say the PS3 is a quality bit of kit, really well screwed togther.

5. ocelot20

ocelot20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    shopto.net are selling a PS3 for £330 thats the cheapest place I have seen.

6. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    i didn't know Sony were doing this, i know microsoft are with the 360. where did you hear about this as i have heard nothing along these lines

7. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    I believe it was announced quite a while ago but nothing has been said about it recently so no one really knows if and when it will happen.

8. Kamanchi

Kamanchi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    No. Do yourself a favour and get a 360. At least then you'll be able to save a few quid and play online without any problems.

9. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    yes and have to pay for the pleasure, and with no dedicated servers, the title doesn't say Re: Should i buy a 360? does it

so lets keep on topic

10. Brattbakkk

Brattbakkk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yip............when you have you'll ask yourself why did I dither....AWESOME:smashin:

11. razz1979

razz1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    With hindsight I would have waited for the release of a higher quantity & quality of games, so if there is nothing you particulary want to play at the moment you should wait.

Incidentally, the only other time I took the plunge & bought a console before it had an establised user base & catalogue was the Sega Saturn. & we all know how that went down. :lesson:

12. Fifty

Fifty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Do it !!!

I got one yesterday. Been undecided for ages about waiting for a price drop, different games etc but just thought 'sod it' and took the plunge.

I was only really excited about PES, but thought I'd get it in and get accustomed to it a.s.a.p.

I'm really happy with it, and for a games console, the non-games content is reall, really impressive. If that makes sense !!!

13. Kamanchi

Kamanchi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I tell you what next time i post on AVF i'll PM you first to make sure it's ok with you if it's not exactly on topic shall I?

I know the title doesnt say should i buy a 360...!!!!

I just thought i'd give him my opinion. And having to pay £40 a year for xbox live is worth every penny, i'm sure if you used it you'd agree.

14. addyb

addyb
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,295
    It all depends on what your online needs are. People complain about the PS3online but personally ive never had any issues what so ever and for me its great. I dont go online a great deal anyway but will be doing once UT3 arrives.

I would say go for a PS3.Its a great bit of kit and altho there isnt much choice in terms of quality games at the moment.. that will be changing as theres some decent games out in October and November so its right around the corner!

15. lfc1394

lfc1394

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    If you are after a pure games console then the 360 is the better option at the moment. If you want a home entertainment centre that has some good games on it then go for the PS3. I don't think the price will come down much from the £330 quoted or £375ish with 2 games, controller and movies. Especially as there will be 'must buy' games coming (fingers crossed) in the build up to xmas, and to be fair, it's worth every penny IMO. I haven't noticed any problems with the online side of the console, although it's not as rounded an experience as the 360, it's still maturing and is more than adequate.

Hope this helps.

16. iddqd

iddqd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Is it? Is it really? What are you getting for your £40 a year subscription. Peer to peer gaming, thats what, oh and gamer pictures/themes which you still have to pay for.

As much as I like the 360, i think Xbox Live is the biggest ripoff ever.

17. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    alas i have used it as i was a 360 owner for several months last year, and you pay for a peer to peer service which isn't great infact at times it's shocking, the content on xbox live arcade is good granted but i don't see why you should have to pay to game online. I already pay Orange and BT for my line rental and Broadband service paying extra to game online simply isn't right (unless a game requires a subscription like wow)

the 360 is a fine console but gaming online with the ps3 is much more stable, compare Warhawk (32 player online with no hint of lag)to anything on the 360
    everything runs on dedicated servers and are far more stable, the biggest plus is it's free

18. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,162
    I bought a PS3 last week after months of indecision.
    I wanted it for Blu-Ray, but was put off by the Bluetooth remote (which meant I couldn't use my Universal IR remote), but a £10 fix sorted that.

So now I'm seriously impressed with the PS3.
    It's currently the cheapest and best Blu-Ray player out there, and also happens to be a fantastically powerful games machine. The fact it does other stuff too, like wireless streaming, memory card reader etc is icing on the cake.

I'd say go for it. There are very few problems reported with it too, so it's obviously a well built and reliable piece of hardware.

19. geordie10

geordie10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    If you shop around you can get it for £32 a year.
    Also you can chat to friends at any time you dont even have to be in the same game.
    Lots of content is free the extra gears of war maps are on there now.
    You can find out what your friends are doing at any time invite them to play etc.
    I have a ps3 and a 360 and to me the ps3 online has a long way to go to catch up to xbox live.
    What happens to the dedicated server system. If like EA have just done to a lot of games abandon the servers when the game gets older.
    The only time i get any lag is when i have some americans playing and its because of there poor internet.
    I have a friends list of about 95 now and playing online with them its pretty rare to have any lag.

20. iddqd

iddqd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Rarely get lag in peer to peer games on the PS3 aswell, but that isn't the point. The point is, Microsoft are charging for a service that should be free, and I expect they will be rethinking their strategy in that department in the future. They cannot keep charging for Xbox Live, the PlayStation 3 online service is only going to get better, and XBL will be taking on Steam aswell, which recently launched a very similar Steam Community Beta.

21. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    As always happens it looks like this thread is going downhill and turning into a 360 vs. PS3 argument so before it gets any worse I'm going to close it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.