Should I buy a PS Vita?

Aurzah

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I was looking to buy a ps vita but after reading and researching closely on it I realised it looks like the Vita is dead and buried. I don't have a ps4 to use remote play but I'm wondering if it's still worth getting a Vita or if anything is planned for it? I was disappointed to find barely any 1st party games. What is the Vita like?

Thanks

Hi there,

I was looking to buy a ps vita but after reading and researching closely on it I realised it looks like the Vita is dead and buried. I don't have a ps4 to use remote play but I'm wondering if it's still worth getting a Vita or if anything is planned for it? I was disappointed to find barely any 1st party games. What is the Vita like?

Thanks
well i love mine...

They aren't doing a whole lot of new exclusives specifically for the vita but there are a lot of cross buy games made for ps4 and vita.

well i love mine...

They aren't doing a whole lot of new exclusives specifically for the vita but there are a lot of cross buy games made for ps4 and vita.
Thanks for the reply!
I'm really tempted now but I heard the original vita is ment to be better because it has a OLED screen and the slim has a LCD.
What's the game play like and what's the best games?
Should I or should I not?

Thanks for the reply!
I'm really tempted now but I heard the original vita is ment to be better because it has a OLED screen and the slim has a LCD.
What's the game play like and what's the best games?
Should I or should I not?
I think the oled and LCD are a wash tbh. With the LCD you get an hour longer play time and an onboard memory card if you want to use it for remote play and game saves from cartridge games. If you want digital ganes then you'll need a pretty expensive memory card (which are proprietary).

There are loads of great games worth buyung whichever one you get. What genres do you like? Then i can recommend games.

I think the oled and LCD are a wash tbh. With the LCD you get an hour longer play time and an onboard memory card if you want to use it for remote play and game saves from cartridge games. If you want digital ganes then you'll need a pretty expensive memory card (which are proprietary).

There are loads of great games worth buyung whichever one you get. What genres do you like? Then i can recommend games.
I like racing games, fps, strategy and i would like to get games which will make the most out of the screen whether it is OLED or LCD, I'm really stuck because I'm being told to get the original vita because of the build and screen, however I'm being told the slim has more to offer. The ps vita will not be used for remote play until a few months when I get a ps4, thanks for the reply and help:)

I have to agree with Det in that I love my Vita. I only bought mine the second week in January of this year mainly for remote play with the PS4. However I rarely use it for that as the Vita's own games are brilliant.

I bought my Vita which came with a 10 game pack and an 8gig memory card for ÂŁ180 from Game. Since then I have played it everyday without fail. The last handheld I owned was the original PSP when it first came out and before that an Atari Lynx.

I haven't played many games so far but I loved The God of War Collection which is GOW 1&2 re-mastered.

I have to agree with Det in that I love my Vita. I only bought mine the second week in January of this year mainly for remote play with the PS4. However I rarely use it for that as the Vita's own games are brilliant.

I bought my Vita which came with a 10 game pack and an 8gig memory card for ÂŁ180 from Game. Since then I have played it everyday without fail. The last handheld I owned was the original PSP when it first came out and before that an Atari Lynx.

I haven't played many games so far but I loved The God of War Collection which is GOW 1&2 re-mastered.
I had the original psp too, the remote play looks really good and makes me realise it was a stupid mistake getting rid of my PS3, I have never heard of the God of war is it worth a try? Did you go for the slim or the original? Thanks for the reply also I'm happy to be receiving guidance and I want to be 100% sure in what I buy :)

I had the original psp too, the remote play looks really good and makes me realise it was a stupid mistake getting rid of my PS3, I have never heard of the God of war is it worth a try? Did you go for the slim or the original? Thanks for the reply also I'm happy to be receiving guidance and I want to be 100% sure in what I buy :)
I didn't do any research because I had no plans at all to buy a handheld machine. I bought a slim model.

Remote play is brilliant and for me has worked flawlessly in and around my home. However my broadband upload speed is less than 1mb and if I try to remote play games over the net it either breaks up or looses connection. I think you need around 3mb up for it to work without issue.

God of War is an amazing game even though it's years old. I asked a few weeks ago for some game recommendations in this forum and got some great responses. Have a look for my thread and have a nosey at the list.

Also if you have or buy a subscription to the PlayStation Plus service you get free games every month. For January we got Duke Nukem 3D and The Swapper.

There is also a huge back catalogue of games on offer, not only Vita games but also PS One and original PSP games.

I didn't do any research because I had no plans at all to buy a handheld machine. I bought a slim model.

Remote play is brilliant and for me has worked flawlessly in and around my home. However my broadband upload speed is less than 1mb and if I try to remote play games over the net it either breaks up or looses connection. I think you need around 3mb up for it to work without issue.

God of War is an amazing game even though it's years old. I asked a few weeks ago for some game recommendations in this forum and got some great responses. Have a look for my thread and have a nosey at the list.

Also if you have or buy a subscription to the PlayStation Plus service you get free games every month. For January we got Duke Nukem 3D and The Swapper.

There is also a huge back catalogue of games on offer, not only Vita games but also PS One and original PSP games.
I no longer have a subscription, I think I will go with the slim like you have, Im shopping around to get a decent price for one, I hope the graphics doesn't let me down and will be a good purchase, once again thank you for the reply.

I will look for your thread and have a peak at what games have been suggested, I hope i am doing the right thing by going with the LCD screen, if anyone knows more about the differences between the 2 console please comment.

Also, Minecraft looks exceptional on the vita and the fps games can hold the frame rate I have just watched a few videos and it doesn't fail. I didn't intend on buying a handheld either I just want to mix things up a bit and try something new because I'm on the go 24/7.

Thank you

I like racing games, fps, strategy and i would like to get games which will make the most out of the screen whether it is OLED or LCD, I'm really stuck because I'm being told to get the original vita because of the build and screen, however I'm being told the slim has more to offer. The ps vita will not be used for remote play until a few months when I get a ps4, thanks for the reply and help:)
Need For Speed: Most Wanted is supposed to be really good on the Vita (we got it free a few months back iirc on PS Plus) so that might be worth looking in to. Wipeout 2048 is pretty good as well.

FPS games I would say Killzone Mercenary... the online is dead but the graphics, story, and gameplay are really good, I enjoyed it a lot. That's the best FPS I've played on it. I am drawing a blank on others right now though. I have remote played with Destiny quite a bit although the analogs leave a bit to be desired. And I wish they had dual trigger/bumpers so you never have to use the touchscreen.

There are tons of strategy games on there but not many RTS games iirc. If you are ever unsure about a game, ask on here and I (and many others) will let you know what they think of it. Because I think between most of us, we have played nearly all the games on the Vita available. I know I own at least 60 games for the Vita alone.

But if you like Minecraft you should definitely check out Terraria. It's like a more strategic version of it and sidescrolling. I played that for like 7 hours straight one day.

I no longer have a subscription, I think I will go with the slim like you have, Im shopping around to get a decent price for one, I hope the graphics doesn't let me down and will be a good purchase, once again thank you for the reply.

I will look for your thread and have a peak at what games have been suggested, I hope i am doing the right thing by going with the LCD screen, if anyone knows more about the differences between the 2 console please comment.

Also, Minecraft looks exceptional on the vita and the fps games can hold the frame rate I have just watched a few videos and it doesn't fail. I didn't intend on buying a handheld either I just want to mix things up a bit and try something new because I'm on the go 24/7.

Thank you
You really should think about getting another sub to Plus. You'll get access to any previous games you've "bought" on the store for the Vita and all the new freebies which have been averaging about 3 games a month (2 guaranteed). And if you DO get PS Plus, make sure you "buy" the Plus freebies for PS4 as well from the SEN store so when you get your PS4 you'll have a bunch of games ready to download the day you bring it home.

I would honestly get the Slim now too. The OLED screen isn't THAT much better imo but the battery life is the clincher for me. You get about another hour out of it.

This is my third Vita now, first was an OLED, sold it to fund getting an IPAD mini 2 retina, thought it would be better for gaming, how wrong I was, still very good for social and strategy type games, but for First person/driving/platform/sport the Vita is far better with its physical controls.

So then I bought a Slim Vita, to be honest the screen on the OLED is far nicer, OK the slim will work slightly better outside, but the whole feel of the larger OLED is nicer, for my larger hands as well, so sold it to fund getting my Flagship Xperia Z3, which i though what with this and the Ipad, no way would i miss my so called old tech PS VITA...brilliant phone, brilliant tablet, but when it comes to proper immersive gaming, the vita is miles ahead.

So I got myself another VITA OLED, that's it, sticking with it, you cant beat Uncharted, Assassins Creed, gravity rush, Killzone, loved them all, played through uncharted once, and just about to play it through again, Killzone graphics are amazing and the unique gameplay with gravity rush.

But my overall favourites are WRC 4 and the incredibly addictive Everybody's golf, just can never get bored of everybody's golf, i cant believe how long this system has been out and you can still buy lots of new funky, odd and addictive downloadable games.

As for buying physical games, places like CEX and GAME sell lots reduced and second hand at good savings.

I'm surprised Sony don't push the vita more as its such a creative handheld, the hardware inside is still more than capable and totally geared towards gaming as opposed to the likes of smartphones/tablets

I had 3 and now thinking of a 4th. Not sure.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom