1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I buy a pro screen to improve my Sanyo Z2´s picture?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by edgler vess, Dec 17, 2003.

1. edgler vess

edgler vess
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I just received my Sanyo PLV-Z2 and I am impressed with the PQ.

Anyway I am throwing to a white wall and the picture looks great!

Being that this is my 1st projector I have no frame of reference for how good the picture COULD be.

Will buying a pro screen ( like a Draper Luma ) significantly change (improve) the picture quality I am currently experiencing?

Thanks

Edgler

2. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mate, even if you buy a "cheap" screen with proper 1 - 1.2 gain material you will be astonished at the improvement. Totally stunning compared to a white wall.

Also, with a screen you will have black borders - and this gives you a massive increase in perceived contrast. It also looks like you are looking at a giant plasma screen.

It is a HUGE step using a proper screen instead of a white wall.

I've been there. You will be amazed.

Also, to put it in perspective. I went from a bed sheet, to a white wall, to a £800 fixed 10ft widescreen. The screen still amazes me to this day.

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you don't need a retractable screen, i.e. you're happy with your "wall", have a look at the LCD/DLP FAQ.

Links there on making your own screen for next to nothing including masking etc.

Worth the £30 or so it will cost as you'll then be able to answer your own question :)

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So far my experience of the Z2 would have me run away crying if you told me you were using anything beyond a flat 1.0 matt white....... im likely to try a dark grey in place of my current light grey

ad

5. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi buns,

I need to order a screen pretty quick for my Z2, so interested in your grey screen choice. Did you try a matt white one first and if so what were the differences?

The fact that you are going to try an even darker grey indicates you are still searching for that elusive black, but does grey have an effect on colour and brightness?

So grey or white???

Ps keep up the tweaking (very interesting)...but try and fit in some movies ;)

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Chipster,

I used to have a matt white, but that was in my plv30 days so i havent seen the Z2 on the white.

How do you intend to run the projector? lamp mode? iris? So far im happiest with things with the lamp low, the iris closed and my icestorm screen.

I would certainly be looking at the grey screen even if you prefer a bright image..... with the iris open and low mode, the light output is still really quite high, even the grey screen wont dim things too much.

The grey shouldnt have effect on your color, dont worry about that. The 'brightness' of the image will decrease, but it is something that you can get used to pretty quickly and the increase in blacks certainly is compensation enough for me.

Of course cost may be an issue.....

ad

7. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    buns,

I havent had too much time to tweak the settings other than drop the red, iris almost closed and running in low lamp mode. fiddled with the gamma a bit too (+4). For the time being I've been using an Ikea black out blind which is ok I guess, but I'm sure a 'proper' screen will make a difference.

There is a lot of reflected light bouncing back off this blind and I would like to see blacks as black as possible so I just want the best compromise...with relative costs.

Cheers.

8. markbro

markbro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buns, I have a Z2 projecting onto a matt white fixed and tried a waste piece of blackout lining painted icestorm 5. The blacks are greatly improved, while whites are slightly darker.

The question is which icestorm are you using, 5 or 6, as I would prefer to try 6 so that the other colours wouldn't darken as much and possibly the blacks would still improve significantly?

9. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    chipster,

assuming you want a proper screen..... how about a pro material and build it onto your own frame..... all the fixed screen quality yet still a fraction of cost.

I find that iris closed, red +3, blue -3 and low lamp are best for a linear (if not balanced) response. Oddly enough, i have calibrated and ended up with gamma +4..... i dont know if this is luck or proof that we both have it sortof right!

markbro,

I am using icestorm 6 (i dug out the tin so im certain!), i assume it is the lighter shade of the two. Im so used to it now, beside black it looks as good as white! I think this is probably the better shade for most people, the next darker is indeed very dark and may well need the room to be absolutely perfect in terms of light leakage and such..... also you would be risking that your room color is actually lighter than the screen..... i imaging this might not be a good thing.

ad

10. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi buns.

Sadly the DIY fixed screen is not an option, so I will be picking up the phone in the next day or so to order a manual screen. Still in two minds as to which to go for (white or grey) and I don’t really fancy another long drive just to demo some screens... I did that one already choosing a PJ :( Cost is also an issue so it may have to be a white one anyway.

I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to buy some of the icestorm and try a sample patch, where do you buy it and is it expensive?

I also need to get a calibration disc too, but think I must be on the right track using my eyes, but interesting we have both settled on the same gamma but with different colour screens. Until I get a decent screen it’s going to be hard to get the balance right, and I'm also very intrigued by HCPC. One thing at a time though :)

Chipster.

11. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Chipster,

If I were you and couldnt do any demoing (and on a budget), try and get a good deal on a matt white screen. IF you decide that frey would in fact have been better, a matt white screen will have much more demand to sell on so would fetch more cash. That said, i think you will probably be very happy with matt white :D

icestorm is simply one of dulux' card system paints.... you can get it from many B&Q/homebase type places and costs the same as pretty much any paint. I think i got a tin for about £10 which has plenty left for extra coats. However, by the sounds of it, you just want to get going, a point i totally appreciate given i have done miles more calibrating than watching! With all you are saying, id push toward a matt white and you will be very pleased with the results.

If you want a calibration disc, get avia. From what i have heard on avs, digital video essentials manages to be more confusing and really doesnt do anything much more for digital projectors. That said..... if you have a dvd with thx optimode..... i wouldnt worry too much about it. The pattern in this thx thing are probably as much as most people will actually use.... pirates of the caribbean has this for example.

ad

ad

12. Quatermass

Quatermass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am using a matt white DRH screen and have gamma on +3 (brightness at +10 but still not high enough on some material!). I have red, blue and green on 0.

Imo DRH screens are great value for £. Can easily watch films with some ambient light but blacks are still pretty black (to me anyway!).

The spiel on dve is confusing – has the advantages though of being Pal (whether this makes much difference though ???) and being a lot cheaper than avia - £15 at Play or Amazon. Still seems a lot to pay though for a load of pretty patterns :)

13. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Quartermass,

How is your contrast set?

ad

14. Quatermass

Quatermass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    +3 for contrast

tbh I got the biggest jump in pq/contrast ratio when I switched my dvd player from standard to cinema 1 setting. Whether it was clipping things before or after or what I don't know but the perceived image was then a lot better anyway!

15. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I ask because at default contrast, i find that red is clipped. Admittedly mine is still sat there, but that is because i have dropped the contrast elsewhere in the chain. It might be worthwhile dropping the contrast considerably......-5/-10 and recalibrating.... this certainly will reduce the clipping and give a better greyscale tracking and overal image.

Maybe this is what the cinema 1 setting does mind you..... wouldnt surprise me!

ad

16. Quatermass

Quatermass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks buns I'll give that a go - although you are probably right about cinema1 doing it - big change in something anyway!