1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I buy a Panny AE100?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by MIGHTYrog, Jun 13, 2003.

1. MIGHTYrog

MIGHTYrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Defo looking at buying a AE100 from RW at £599, just need a little reassurance that it will be a worthy purchase. I was raring to go get one before i started reading all the posts about them going pop for no reason and today I feel a little scared off.

Are these Refurb units ok ? Anyone who has also had one what sort of cosmetic condition do they arrive in ? Are they scratched beyond belief or are they like new...... I need to know as my Barclay card is tempting me like hell.

Also is there anyway to find out if there is pixel dropout before i buy? Do they check them out before shipping for dead/stuck pixels ?

Cake or Death .... how do i decide ....please help :confused:

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. MIGHTYrog

MIGHTYrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    i was really looking forward to this purchase.. but now i am feeling scared again.

£599 seemed really good price too. ( dont really mind that it is a refurb as long as it works) But i cant really turn a blind eye to facts.

What should i buy around that kind of budget (maybe a little more if pushed) remembering that i dont mind a 2nd hand Projector ?

Or should i just take a chance and get a Panny ... please lord give me strength.

Still confused

Roger

4. keelby1

keelby1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I've just received my refurb for £600 with12 months full warranty as a fathers day present (the kids are too young to go and buy ne anything so I took the inititive myself) and i'm chuffed to bits. There are no scatches or marks. Lamp light indicater states 50 hrs. I am going to invest in a power surge plug though.
    At the end of the day its half the price of a new one and by the time it comes to replacing the bulb the ae300 will be available for £600.

Go for it!!

5. MIGHTYrog

MIGHTYrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Finally someone with some encouragement.... i know its late (1:24am) but thanks for your ray of hope Keelby

I am currently trawling ebay, HCC reviews and projector central and all roads are leading to the AE100 as *The Best Projector I can Buy for £600 with the features i want.

If someone dont change my mind before tomorrow ..or suggest a better alternative for around the £600-800 pricemark the Barclaycard is gonna be getting some serious exercise down at the Robert Whyte AV Gymnasium.

("*"Indicates = minus all the hulabaloo concerning the broken down units)

6. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi, and welcome to the Forums.

I wonder what projector Nathan would buy ?? If he actually owned an AE100 and had some factual experience of the thing, then comments might have some substantial value, as opposed to the usual post-count building exercise...........2261 posts in say 7 months.....over 300 per month...... 10 per day.......
    says it all, really.

For a more balanced view of the AE100, try checking out Kramer's thread with the poll, or Timh's thread of AE100 owners - you know by now that there have been quite a number of failures, primarily to do with the power supply. This is an issue that Panny usually sort out in about ten days, although some owners have had mixed experiences with Panny customer services and mix-ups with dealers, etc.

The most recent experience by a member (I think) is Donmc - the following quoted from his post -

Well they picked up on Friday (....30/5....) as promised and returned the projector this morning (saturday 7/6) so just over a week turnaround.

According to the note they replaced a fuse and a new power supply (again). I asked them to also to check out some colour non-uniformity and they have "Adjusted shading correction" and guess what - replaced the lamp! Pity I only had 238 hours on the original but hey!

Anyway - no complaints on CS this time even if it was the second time the PJ needed returning. Fingers crossed it was the last.

You should bear in mind that far more people post when they have aproblem than do when things are going well - there are over 150 members on the Forum with Ae100s - far more than have had problems, and one assumes that every Ae100 owner in the UK isn't registered here.

I have read cautionary posts about people buying projectors on Ebay - ymmv, but be careful !!

My AE100 is coming up to 900 hrs now, and it still gives as much pleasure as ever. If you haven't seen one in action already, try to do so - there's no substitute for demo'ing before you buy. At £600 it's a serious bargain.

Good luck with choosing......

Sean G.

7. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At worst it blows up and gets fixed under warranty....

Guaranteed nothing else will give you the kind of wow factor a projector can for £600.

If you are minted maybe consider a Z1 or an AE300 or better. But hey if you go in with open eyes then what the hell at 600 notes it's a steal.. :)

-- Jon

8. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    I've recently bought a Panny AE100 for 600 quid and couldn't be more chuffed.
    The bulb life had 5 hrs on it and the thing smelled brand new.

Easily the best bargain I've ever had.

The picture is stunning. The machine runs a lot quieter then my last projector (practically noiseless once the movie starts) and has great inputs.

I can't praise this machine enough. For the price of a decent TV your getting a uber device that can chuck a rich vibrant image on a 80 inch screen. Simply amazing.

9. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another vote for me!!

Bought mine almost 2 months ago from Robert Whyte for £600 and although the box was a little tatty the unit was in imacculate condition!!

Had 6hrs or so on it and so far not a problem at all!!! And as the other guys said it has 12 months warranty so the worst that can happen is it goes pop and it gets fixed!!

To me for £600 having a superb quality 6ft picture on my wall is an absolute no brainer!! My 32" Sony TV cost way more and is now pathetic in comparisson.

Best £600 I EVER spent

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

(and even after 2 months I am still amazed at the size/quality of the picture!!)

10. MIGHTYrog

MIGHTYrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    just rang Robert Whyte and you never guess what ......... OUT OF STOCK.

The loverly sales assistant assured me that they would have more stock of this item in 7- 10 days.

Nooooooooooooooo.... even more waiting for me.

11. pinkerton

pinkerton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I wouldnt hesitate, go buy one!!
    £599 is a steal, I bought mine for £799 new and (touch wood) havent had any probs with it, its a great PJ.
    I replaced my noisey 4:3 PLV30 with one and am not disapointed.

12. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would I buy a AE100? No way, even at £600. I don't want to have the nagging feeling everytime I switch the unit on or half-way through a DVD it'll die on me.

Would I have bought a 42PW23P if there were as many negative threads with the AE100? No way.

And just because I post alot doesn't mean my comments aren't valid and you are "superior" :rolleyes: regardless, buying a unit plauged with problems and being a lemon is just asking for trouble.

As for what PJ I would buy- if I had the room & money- a Barco 808.

13. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess you are saying you dont have the room & money then?

Same as me hense the reason a £600 PJ was the only way for me to go.

And as for the 'nagging feeling' cant say I have ever had one and certainly wont be devistated if it does go pop (will not be happy but it aint the end of the world and for the money its a 'risk' I was prepared to take!) and I have to get it repaired.

14. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    At £600, let your mind rest and let the CC do the talking, do not think, just buy.

"If you point your finger to the moon, do not concentrate your focus on the finger, as you will then miss all the full glory of the moon";)

15. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    Pinkerton,
    i own a PLV30 and must say i think the image is stunning via component, but as you say these are noisy, wouls you really say the picture on the panny is as good as the sanyo? and is it that much quieter?
    Thanks.

16. MIGHTYrog

MIGHTYrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Just got off the phone with the loverly assitant at Robert Whytes again. This time i delved a little deeper to find out that there, as far as she knows are only 3 more AE100s coming in next week and she doesn't forsee any future stock of them after that.
    1 was already reserved, so i reserved a Unit also to forgo any future dissapointment.

1 more left ... but you got to be quick Nathan :)

17. joust

joust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Hi Gryzor,

Also purchased one on these from RW about 2 months ago. Was a genuine repaired unit from May 2002. Had 2 hrs on the clock (though this can be reset in the hidden service menu). RW claimed that they did do a dead pixel check, although the unit does now have a dead blue pixel (TBH this is not noticeable), and this only occurred after a few hours use.

TBH at 599 its a steal!!! Yes there have been problems, but the risk is justified by the ridiculously low price.

Joust

18. Gojira

Gojira
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know you should be cautious but I paid £1100 for my panny last August & I do not regret a single penny of it.

Once you get that baby running and see the results you will forget the cost & the risks & just marvel at the incredible picture.

And, yes, I have seen more expensive/reliable machines but it's like comparing a Ford Ka to a Mercedes. Most of us cannot afford a merc - likewise a more expensive pj - so really the point is moot.

If you look after it, follow the instructions and care for it properly & it will give you great service.

And if it breaks down, there is always the warranty.

19. pinkerton

pinkerton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The Panny I found to be alot quieter, picture quality is about the same, but you have the added bonus of a 16:9 panel.
    Also has a shorter throw distance.

20. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anychance of some contact details for RW please :smashin: