1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I buy a Panasonic PT AE300E?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Hunger4AV, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Hunger4AV

Hunger4AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm new to Projector Home cinema. I'm sitting on fence long enough. Is the AE300 the one to get? Can it be set up anywhere in the room like the HS2 my friend has. Is it better than the HS2 my friend has. I've only found 1 review of note on WWW in projector central. Is there a better place to find reviews? Presently I have Sony DVD,32"TV and '5.1 DTS' AV reciever. Is it wise to change brand allegance?

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The AE300 is a good first projector .. then I'm biased, that's what I did. :D The ProjectorCentral reviews tend to be pretty comprehensive and I know they did a good job comparing the 300 to others and describing its' strengths and weaknesses.

Can't say if it's better than an HS2, it has a somewhat better contrast which is important to help increased the 'blackness' of blacks ... the man Achilles heal of LCD projectors ... and has no real screendoor, however some people don't like the resulting slightly de-focussed effect. It has a higher resolution than the HS2 so that helps.

It has horizontal and vertical keystone adjustment, meaning you can in theory place it quite a way off-centre, however this rapidly degrades picture quality so you want to avoid it as much as possible.

Finally, brand names are irrelevant when it comes to connecting equipment, for the most part at any rate, there'll be no problem connecting you Sony equipment to a Panasonic projector.

Hope this helps. :)