1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

should I buy a modded Xbox?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by kwijibo, Nov 5, 2003.

1. kwijibo

kwijibo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Right. Now is the time for me to finally get an Xbox, and get online gaming. So many cool games to get!!

Obviously the deal in GAME at the moment is pretty good, but whats the best way to do this. If I want to play imported games should I import a machine or mod a UK one. I want to play UK games also.

www.premodded.com have options to change the DVD drive to a samsung. Why? They also offer to increase the hard drive capacity.Why? If it is to be upgrades, how much hard drive do I need?. What cables do I need to be able to connect to a plasma and a TV (not at the same time), and of course get DD

I only want this for games, not DVD.

Should I just go into GAME and be done with it, or is it worth looking at these modded machines? Can someone who has a modded one sell me the benefits and convince me of the merits of doing so

2. kwijibo

kwijibo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've also read that LIVE is disabled with modded machines. Though this can be turned off, does it mean that imported games, which need the mod, cannot be played on LIVE?

3. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    I've got a modded XBox with a 120gig harddrive. It's a fantastic 'media centre', and plays basically any media files. All I have to do is FTP the file(s) from my PC.

I have also copied all my games to the harddrive, which is great if you're crippled by laziness as I am. It plays games from any region, and also outputs hi-definition TV, which I like cos I run my XBox on an LCD projector. Hi-def is disabled on unmodded PAL xboxes.

But there are a few drawbacks...

First, to get the most out of a modded XBox you need a PC to transfer files. A broadband connection really helps, and, of course, opens the door to certain activities that give modded XBox owners a bad name.

The second drawback is XBox Live. You can disable the mod chip and (if you swapped the harddrive) 'lock' the drive, but it doesn't always work. If Live detects a mod chip it'll ban your XBox permentantly. There's currently no way for MS to detect a bigger harddrive with 3rd party applications on it, but this may change, so disabling the chip might not necessarily work in the future.

I love my modded XBox, but I'm seriously considering buying another XBox just for Live.

Re: imported games, yes, a US XBox will play imported games, BUT you can't play PAL games on it, which effectively means you can't use Live in the UK.

Only UK games will work on Live here in the UK (this is my understanding, but I don't have Live so I'd be happy to be corrected on this).

So there you go. If imports and media files float your boat, go for a mod chip. If Live gets you going, I recommend a 'virgin' PAL xbox. Check out www.xbox-scene.com for lots of info about mod chips and stuff.

4. kwijibo

kwijibo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks. I'll be off to GAME at the weekend then.........

I gotta have LIVE. Top Spin Tennis.....On Line..... Bring it on!!