Should i buy a MBA????

martylaa

So we have a iMac which is our main Computer, use it for photos etc love it, we both have iphones and just recently purchased a ipad 1, i bought the ipad for travelling for me when i am away from home, however the laptop in the house is on its last legs, so i'm thinking about a Macbook Air. My missus never uses the laptop and has fallen in love with the ipad, so i'm thinking i may let her keep the ipad at home and i buy a 11" MBA ( needs to be light ) for when i'm away from home.
It'll be used for email, a nint of work stuff and maybe i'll buy the apple drive to watch some films on it.
What do you think?
Or would i be better suited to something else?

dc8900

Distinguished Member
I currently own the 11.6" MBA and I love it, for me it does exactly what I require, portable OS X computing in a small and very slim form factor meaning it takes hardly any space in my bag. If you were willing to pay the asking price (which admittedly is quite steep) it's an excellent laptop but obviously you can buy a cheaper netbook or get yourself a hackintosh for a quarter of the price. I personally didn't bother with paying for Apple's external superdrive as I don't really think its worth the premium; instead I use a £20 Samsung external which does the job very nicely.

All in all, if you want a smart, clean, beautiful well put together ultra slim portable mac, the Macbook Air is the answer but I would really really wait until at least WWDC 2011, as it's expected the MBA's will get an update with Sandy Bridge and Thunderbolt I/O

Last edited:

Phunky

Buy buy buy :D

Sorry that's my mind telling me to buy a MBA, but i'm trying my hardest to hold out until WWDC as I'll be gutted if i miss an update.

dc8900

Distinguished Member
Buy buy buy :D

Sorry that's my mind telling me to buy a MBA, but i'm trying my hardest to hold out until WWDC as I'll be gutted if i miss an update.
lol, patience my dear fellow, especially as WWDC only starts in 12 days! :clap:

dc8900

Distinguished Member
martylaa said:
Ok that's probably better for me then to wait, wonder if the min flash drive goes up to 128gb?
Maybe, although even if 64GB was dropped for the 11.6 inch; it wouldn't surprise if Apple might just leave 128GB being the only SSD option (or a 256GB SSD upgrade option for a stupid price) for that screen size model.

I might regret it when a new model comes out but I bought a 13" 2.2 4Gb 256SSD a few weeks back. Does everything instantly like my i7 desktop beast except when it needs to do cpu intensive stuff. Very thin, superb battery and perfect for office type stuff including the odd bid of xcode and photo sorting in aperture. I like the high resolution for a 13" screen which is the same as my old 15" mbp. I would have love the size of an 11" model, but the screen resolution is too low for my liking.

Phunky

I love the size of an 11" model, but the screen resolution is too low for my liking.
Depending on the updates I may still go for one but also get a monitor for when I really need a higher res... but it does kinda defeat the point :D

guess whether it is a complimentary device for on the road or not. Mine is complementary to a pro with 30 and 22 screens which have spoilt me with screen space :)

dc8900

Distinguished Member
Right, a Japanese tech blog, Macotakara has claimed in a post that Apple are allegedly testing A5 equipped MBA's but this ARM experimentation seems to be just that. According to Anandtech, that at the earliest, any ARM based cpu capable to give an 'optimal' performance for OS X would be -at the earliest- the yet to be released A6 which likely to based on the ARM Cortex A15 core.

Some English language reading: A MacBook with Apple inside? Intel begs to differ | Nanotech - The Circuits Blog - CNET News

martylaa

I thought they were upgrading to sandy bridge chips next time, also it's killing me but I am going to wait till the wwdc is on and find out if anything is happening to them.

dc8900

Distinguished Member
I thought they were upgrading to sandy bridge chips next time, also it's killing me but I am going to wait till the wwdc is on and find out if anything is happening to them.
for the next update yes but this shows Apple are considering their future road map

NewBeetle

Distinguished Member
Right, a Japanese tech blog, Macotakara has claimed in a post that Apple are allegedly testing A5 equipped MBA's but this ARM experimentation seems to be just that. According to Anandtech, that at the earliest, any ARM based cpu capable to give an 'optimal' performance for OS X would be -at the earliest- the yet to be released A6 which likely to based on the ARM Cortex A15 core.

Some English language reading: A MacBook with Apple inside? Intel begs to differ | Nanotech - The Circuits Blog - CNET News
Was reading about this the other day, not something I am looking forward to if it ever happens.

martylaa

Just been into Currys and had a good look at both the MacBook Air and Pro, both lovely its of kit, my missus loved the MacBook Air so did I, however been away from home and living in hotel rooms for the next 2 years and using on a nighttime I think I will wait to see what happen regarding upgrades and the backlit keys, if no upgrade on the new Air then I will buy the 13" Pro.

gkpm

Novice Member
Don't panic if there's no MBA upgrade immediately at the WWDC, it may still appear later on.

John Gruber - of Daring Fireball - has been reminding us repeatedly that Apple did circulate something about no new hardware being launched at WWDC and that it was going to be a software only event.

The renewed MBA might simply appear on the store without a big event, like the new iMac.

martylaa

I know that's what I am thinking too, last Apple update was Oct 2010 and they generally wait year on year for updates.

dc8900

Distinguished Member
Was reading about this the other day, not something I am looking forward to if it ever happens.
Same here, I do hope it's only an experiment

I know that's what I am thinking too, last Apple update was Oct 2010 and they generally wait year on year for updates.
Well the previous updates have been Mid '09 and Early '08 (when it was introduced)

dc8900

Distinguished Member
martylaa said:
Your not making this easy mate haha
Of course not :devil:

With Apple products it always is hard to resist

martylaa

I'll wait for now and see what happens at WWDC, if I have to wait 2-3 months then i'll buy one now from somewhere, been offered a 6 month old 11" 1.6 ghz 128 SSD MacBook air for £800. Tempted if I knew the new one was out in a few months time.

dc8900

Distinguished Member

This is interesting, ARM President Tudor Brown says he wants to gain 50% market share by 2015 in the 'mobile pc' market. Even with tablets, 50% in 4 years does sound very ambitious

ARM Expects Half of Mobile PC Market by 2015 | PCWorld

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More

Latest News

Humax launches AURA 4K Freeview Play Recorder
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Fyne Audio adds new standmounts to F1 speaker range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Mark Levinson expands 5000 Series with amplifiers and players
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 14th October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton