1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I buy a Mac

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by testingtimes, Aug 24, 2005.

1. testingtimes

testingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My current home PC is 8 years old, has a 7GB hard drive, 128mb RAM, some ancient Celeron processors and is dying a slow and painful death, the CDRW drive has broken leaving me with a very slow DVD-ROM. I’ve tried on many occasions to slap some sense into it by reformatting it, stripping away every programme which isn’t absolutely essential to it’s functioning, but still it’s slow as slow can be and for ever crashing. I tried to capture, edit and resave a 10 minute short film taken from my Mustek DV4000 6 in 1 camcorder, and the computer was out of action until the weekend when I had chance to try and pull it back from the brink of nervous exhaustion.

What to do?

Mac users are in unanimous agreement that a Mac of any sorts is the best thing since sliced bread. When I’ve discussed this issue with people they’ve always told me to get one and I’ll never regret it – I just don’t know whether to believe them though, if this was a case of changing my normal brand of washing up liquid for new Cillit Bang, then if it turns out it’s not the right job for you, you’re only £2.49 down and you can go back to buying your own. But this is just such a lot of money, I really need to be certain I’m doing the right thing here.

I’ve got £475 saved up, when I get paid at the end of the month, I’ll filter off a little bit more and could probably push it up to £550. I’m after something that doesn't crash, that can store all my MP3s, and can edit, save and burn DVDs – and additionally it’d be nice to have the kind of computer that can record and produce original music too. I’m not bothered about games and stuff.

Questions:

Should I buy a Mac or would I be better off with a PC for editing my videos (amongst other computer uses)?
    What kind of a Mac – Mini, EMac or IMac – is there that much difference if you’re not a high end graphic designer or working for a TV production company.
    Dose anyone have any opinions on buying a Mac from Ebay – I do worry that this is a lot of money to be pissing it away should it not function as well as a brand new model from the shops.

Your help would be appreciated.

2. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,174
    :spam: A MAC troll!!! - MODS: eradiate this evil immediately!! :spam:

Only kidding mate..... :D

I'm absolutely no kind of MAC expert, but i'm just getting into home recording/production myself, and it's my understanding that MAC severley limits your soundcard/software options for this kind of use... not sure of the specifics but it's worth some googleing on this subject if you are intested...

I could be totally wrong, but i think M-audio are about the only people who make MAC friendly high-end soundcards at the moment, which in itself is no bad thing as such, as they do make some great soundcards....

your big problem is, as you have already identified, is that MAC users rarely seem to be very objective in their opinions? :devil: :rotfl: :rolleyes: ;)

3. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    If you're doing video editing I'd get a PC, macs are crap *IMO

* Uses one every day :(

4. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    A Mac is a nice machine with a nice operating system and some uses where it spanks a pc into submission. However I do not think you are doing anything that will warrant a Mac over a pc other than good old personal preference. And to be honest, for your money you will get more pc than mac.

5. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Cant think of any scenario were a mac would be better suited at all

6. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,174
    reception front-desk maybe, @ MAC headquaters?? :D

7. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I am being even handed. ;)

8. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    I use a PC everyday at work on our network, and don't mind using windows at all, however at home I have a sony vaio running XP (and Linux) and an ibook and the vaio doesnt get a look in.

I bought a new ibook (12" G4 1.2Ghz) last week and I have just ripped all our DV camcorder stuff to DVD, using my external usb2/firewire Pioneer 109 writer on the mac.
    I have never got round to doing this on any pc I own, maybe it does it better with certain software than on the mac, but the mac is dead easy!

For video, photos, music, email, web browsing the mac is my prefered choice. The only reason I need a pc is for my Meridian software however I am about to start using that through virtual pc 7, so I just got rid of my Vaio.

This sums it up for me, I have never put any antivirus software on a mac, I have never had to reinstall the mac OS and I don't worry about other people messing things up on it when they use it.
    I have reinstalled windows around half a dozen times this year, on the 5 computers at work, I have had numerous adware and a virus on them too, in fact this sums up how poor windows defense is, when reinstalling windows back on the Vaio last week I only went online to get some anti virus software and managed managed to get some adware get onto it within a couple of miniutes! So formatted and downloaded a corporate copy with SP2 built in.

If only Microsoft would have the balls to say "we are bring out a new OS, nothing will be backwards compatible, but it will be stable" things would be a lot better, they could make it nice and stable, and make it more user friendly, who cares about backwards compatability? by the time you reformat and put windows back on you download new versions of all the apps anyway.
    If you need to use an old app put a 3 gig partition on your PC and dual boot 98!

Windows could be excellent but there are too many flaws, mac could be number 1 but not enough support.

The mac still does everything I want with less headaches though, so it gets my vote everytime.

9. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I'd suggest a Mac mini would do the job (provided you're not in a huge hurry). Itunes for the MP3s, iMovie & iDVD for your DVD needs, GarageBand for arsing about with music (it's a lot of fun). For your budget, and assuming you're happy to keep your existing monitor etc, then a fully loaded mini with superdrive could be yours. All the software is there to use out-of-the-box, so you're not going to need anything else.

I'd suggest trying one for size first though (easier said than done, depending on where you're located) or even better, get a local Mac zealot to give you a demo :)

Cheers, Carl.

10. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    Forgot to ask, are you a tweaker?

If you like to tweak your system all the time, run benchmarks etc. then go with the PC, if you want to just have a stable computer go Mac.

You could go...

£429.00
    (£365.11 ex VAT)

Ready to ship: 24hrs

Free Shipping

1.42GHz PowerPC G4
    512MB DDR333 SDRAM
    ATI Radeon 9200
    32MB DDR video memory
    80GB Ultra ATA hard drive
    Combo drive
    DVI or VGA video output
    AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth included
    56k Internal Modem optional

Add £54 for apple keyboard and mouse

And then add a nice 17" ivory iiyama tft at some point. Great screen.

http://www.iiyama.co.uk/pages/conte...T=2&PROD=5903&SPCAREA=&CE=undefined&PARAMS2=0

11. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    Oh and if you like your music Ableton Live is absolutely awesome, it is a sequencer but so much more.

I have been using it instead of SL1200's, with an M-Audio firewire card and an Evolution X-Session midi controller. I have it on mac and on PC, just use it more on my ibook because you can take it wherever you want. Your whole record collection on your laptop!

http://www.ableton.com/index.php?main=live

12. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Ups & Downs there

Windows: has a lot more software, the machines are infinately faster, more upgradeable, you can add more to them & personally the OS is much more stable

OS X: Widgets are nice I suppose thats pretty much all I think about OSX, limited software available, itunes, iMovie, DVD Player are all free but aint as good as the alternatives you can get for the PC. erm, they can run PC fonts and disks thats about it

Viruses, never had one either on my Mac or my PC, I intall virus software on both once a year to check I have none and remove it straight away, personally I think virus software attracts virus'

You really need to try a mac to make the best decision, I find them horribly limited but you may like em

13. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613

Toatlly agree, I use AVG now at work, it is free and doesn't seem to attract problems like the big 2 do!

You don'y think they create virus' just so they can say "hey look our software saved you!" do you? :rolleyes: ;)

Macs are limited, if they do everyting you want they can be very nice, if not they will really frustrate you.

14. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Oh yes, all the PCs I've built for friends ive always told em never to install anit-vius software and shockingly enough they've never had a virus

15. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    One thing to bear in mind about purchasing a mac is that I think about a month ago Apple announced the end of the Power PC processor for MACs so any hardware you buy know will be very obsolete in a few years. It will need to be recompiled to the Intel architecture.

I wouldn't expect a sudden flood of PC Compatible hardware to be available for MAC OS X running on Intel as I think the whole reason MAC is more stable is that they have less cards to be compatible with.

I know this doesn't help you much as your need for hardware is pretty desperate, but it might enlighten your choice a little.

What was your budget anyway? And how long do you expect a computer to last?

Cheers

Rajiv

16. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Well they've already got OS X runnning on Intel PCs :)

17. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I have supplied PC's for both domestic and corporate solutions for over 10 years. I have grown up and out of having to have the fastest system many years ago. Ultimately, the PC scene is driven forward by games players and anoraks who get their jollies by boasting about frames-per-second and how many Ghz they can get out of a CPU using cryogenic quantum cooling! If this is your scene then fair play - though from a usability point of view, the Mac and it's OS X is by far the best computing platform. OS X has been unanimously hailed by much of the world's IT press and gurus as the best operating system. M$ has been copying features ever since the first usable Windows hit the shelves in 1990 - 6 years after the MacOS.

Granted, by sheer market dominance, the Windows computers have the greatest diversity of software and peripherals, not to mention cheaper thanks to cheap and nasty back street OEM's. However, my analogy would be why settle for the Datsun Sunny when you can have (admittedly for more money) the Bentley of computers? Seriously, the cost is not THAT great but what you do get is superb build quality and that OS.

I have been using a PowerMac G5 for 2 years at home and would never go back unless forced to. There is practically any software solution on the Mac platform for any job. Musicians. graphics designers and publishing studios have majored on Apple hardware since the inception of their businesses.

The ONLY reason where a PC scores better than a Mac is games, but surely with plasma, projectors and home cinema in many more homes, a games console would be my choice of entertainment. Consoles are a more sociable means of game-play as the PC usually resides in a bedroom or corner of room.

Macs do exactly what is said on the tin - PC's (unless an expensive, cherry picked purchase) crash, suffer viral infections, spyware and look naff! Sorry if I sound biased, but having owned and upgraded PC's for 18 years I have finally seen the light...

18. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I'm Graphic Designer and my preference is PC all the way, the only reason macs are still prefered in my industry is the majority of supplied fonts are for the mac, now with the arrival of the opentype standard this is no longer the case

*Is typing this on a mac*

19. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    I have only replaced my ibook g3 500hz because the cd rom failed, it is now 4 years old.

In that time I think I have bought about 10 desktop pc's, well mainboards, cpus, ram and graphics cards anyway.
    It does stop you from upgrading like you do on a PC, which is quite nice.

20. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Apple will be using Intel as supplier for their future hardware. We are talking 2006 for the notebooks and 2007 for the desktop computers. Software companies are not suddenly going to abandon the massive installed user base of PPC architecture. Hence the ability to able to compile for both platforms is now available for Mac developers. I congratulate Apple for being bold enough to make such evolutionary steps - how much has the PC really evolved? Still based around a naff antiquated 8088 instruction set and a shaky OS perched upon legacy hardware.

Intel's announcement yesterday has brought about a new direction in CPU design. Throwing off the shackles of outright conformity to an obsolete design. The new technologies included in the next generation CPU's will be a fantastic foundation for any hardware manufacturer to build his/her platform upon. Yes you can already run OS X on Pentium 4's but when Apple launches their new product range I am almost certain that the OS will be tied to Apple hardware. A friend of mine is a big mover in the world of security, cryptography and cypher algorithms - he is privy to the architectures and design of tomorrows IT solutions and it is fascinating stuff. He has explained how future software will be locked and how distribution will be controlled.

Why am I bothering to go to this extent? I don't know! Time to get my coat....

21. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    Haha

I find it really interesting, the PC world really does need to start afresh though, sod compatability, lets just do the job right.

22. testingtimes

testingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    God Dam!

I got through reading a piece about Macs Vs PCs then I checked back here with all these replies.

Thanks a lot.

That’s all pretty comprehensive and self-righteous – thanks for it all. I’ll take it on board.

In answer to some earlier questions

I’m not a tweaker – I went through a 5 year phase of continually effing up my computer because I kept changing settings swapping hardware and components I’d… borrowed… from work. The end result was always a naused up computer that’d leave me screaming. I’ve grown out of that now and leave it as is, I’ll start up Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Word, Outlook, Media Player, IE/Friefox – do what needs to be done, then shut it down again. I’m very not interested in having to do any caretaking, consider this my retirement. I want a computer that works from day 1 until I finish with it.

Regarding how long I expect a computer to last. Frankly, (Charlton Heston voice) FOR THE REST OF TIME. Not a bold statement, I’ve rescued many a computer, component (for the last time it was only resting in my machine) and piece of hardware from work as it no longer was considered “high spec” and it all works fine. I don’t necessarily want light speed responses from programmes and don’t mind waiting. My girlfriends slow and ***** laptop still runs Windows 98 and I’m happy with it. The issue now is my main and only PC is at the end of it’s life (mostly my doing) and I’m ready to spend some cash and get a new one – my earlier point is… what?

I quiet like the idea of having a purpose built product (e.g. Mac) but resent spending all that money, but if it will last, and if the OS is full of the “little gems” I’ve read about it’s tempting.

Regarding the MacMini; There’s something that doesn't rest easy with me spending £500 on a computer that’s the same size and shape as 4 slices of thick cut Hovis. If I’m to spend money, I’d kind of like to see where my monies going – new monitor, keyboard etc, you can buy a lot of PC for £500

Dose anyone have any opinion on buying a Mac from Ebay? In that, is it possible for someone to screw a Mac up then sell it off to an unsuspecting pup like myself – or are they pretty indestructible (as I’ve been led to believe)

23. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    You should get a calculator then :)

Anyways, if you are going to get a mac you really should consider the Mac-Mini its a great little bit of mac kit

24. Godspeed

Godspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +197
    MacMini PowerPC G4 Processor
    CDRW and DVD Rom
    32mb ATI RAdeon 9200 Graphics
    17" TFT Monitor (not apple)
    Apple keyboard and mouse

Outfit code 186033/083535

total seperate price £548.98

PRICE £399

Saving £140.00

PC WORLD

:clap:

25. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    But it is only the 1.25ghz model.

26. Godspeed

Godspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +197
    [​IMG]

27. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
  28. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    What do you want for £399 the moon on............

29. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    AHA!!!!!!!!!!!

Er yes I do,could you coat it in hundreds and thousands as well?

30. Godspeed

Godspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +197