Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

should i buy a gamecube

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by 7 of 9, Mar 31, 2003.

1. 7 of 9

7 of 9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a ps2 and have noticed compared to the gamecube not many games are in surround sound.
    i have a prologic 1 & 2 system.

so do u think i should buy a gamecube as well.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A more important question- are they plenty of great games out for the gamecube?

And how much longer will games be released for the Gamecube (I wasted money on a couple of consoles, s/w dried up soon after purchase)

3. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I wouldn't buy one just to experience more games in Pro Logic II.

Buy one if you want to play the specific games that are only available on the Gamecube. There are loads of great games available now with many more to come. Lots of bargains to be had on the Cube so this is a great time to buy. Metroid/Zelda are worth the price alone.

Software support is growing rather than falling and the Cube still has a few years life left in it.

4. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    without a shadow of a doubt, BUY A GAMECUBE, it is the best £120 I have ever spent!!

5. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes! Buy, buy, buy. :D

Its worth paying £80 for the system just to get the opportunity to play Metroid. IMO it is one of the best games I have ever played, and I don't see anything coming close in the next 12-18 months (apart from Zelda and Metroid 2 ;) )

It has quality titles covering the majority of genres so you should find something to please from the back-log if the release schedule dries up (although with about 12-15 brilliant titles over the next 12 months, I don't see when that will happen)

Take advantage of the current deals and buy one now. You basically get a Cube for £25 with the Argos deal (Cube plus game plus Memory Card 251)

tbh I'm pretty tempted to buy a spare Cube just in-case mine breaks over the next few years :rolleyes:

6. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have a cube, I'm an Xbox freak myself but it looks like stunning value. I mean, there are some great games out for it now, not many appeal to me but loads of people are mad about it. I would have thought that if there were 3 or 4 current titles that you fancied, it would be worth getting one.

It does look like it's heading into third place but there should be enough demand to keep it alive for a while yet and there is no sign of software drying up.

All consoles become obsolete in the end. At the prices we are seeing today, its silly to worry about it, just jump in. I'm looking at getting a PS2, just so my missus can play Tomb Raider because it's pocket money to get into.

Buy. buy, buy.

7. ytgti

ytgti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If your a Playstation fan then you would of played Resident Evil. Well imagine them with better graphics and new areas to explore. The whole series is coming out on the cube, and there's Mario, Mario cart ect ect.

There is plenty of games that are worth buying a GC for, i only bought mine for Resident Evil and Star Wars Rouge leader. As groundy said you cant just buy one for the sound, i havn't even got mine through my amp. But i would be good.

8. BIONIC MAN

BIONIC MAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Like has been said before Buy one for £78.99 :rotfl:
    Which I have just done today from Argos and got a free Memory Card & Resident Evil ( Great deal )

Also with the likes of Mario Cart / Zelda :clap:

I think it's the last day for that Offer at Argos , and I was told that if they get any more Cubes in the cube along will sell for
    £78.99

So Try and get one Now ( Good Luck )

:smashin:

9. ds_kerr

ds_kerr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Cube after my PS2 and I am very impressed with it. I bought it after looking at the upcoming titles for it and actually was influenced most by E3 last year where there were a load of quality Cube titles being shown.

The games are excellent, Metroid Prime, Star Fox Adventures, Eternal Darkness to name a few.

I also enjoy my PS2 but I think they are 2 very different platforms. Nintendo are the leader at producing adventure games like Metroid and Zelda, PS2 has the best sports games and fighting titles.

After all the games are what we are after, I don't want to miss out on GTA: Vice City or Metroid and with the consoles being so cheap I don't have to!

Ta,
    Dave.

10. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm another XBox freak, and I would have picked up a Cube at £78 if I didn't have so many unplayed games as it is. Man, I never thought I'd find myself in a position where I've got more disposable income than free time. (working sucks, being unemployed sucks... anybody want to pay me to play video games?)

All in all, the Gamecube seems like a decent system, and at the discounted price, it seems like a good deal. (I'd steer well clear of the MSRP though)

11. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it's a great deal at the SRP of £120, and a fantastic deal at £79! Back in your XBox Azrikam!

12. sharon

sharon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In terms of the number of really excellent games, I think the gamecube is without equal.... and surely it's games that count, not surround sound, not processing power and not quality of graphics. I go and buy one now and get yourself....

Freeloader and Zelda
    Metroid Prime
    Pikmin
    Super Smash Brothers
    Super Monkey Ball
    Super Mario Sunshine
    Mario Party

at the very least, that should keep you busy for the first few weeks!!!

Sharon

PS. Just got an Jap import of Soul Calibur.... wow!!!

I've just got myself a Jap import of Soul Calibur, wow!!

13. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So good you had to say it twice ;). Funds are exhausted for this month though :(.

14. Sam

Sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It's the first day of the month!! :eek:

15. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, the XBox is probably the only console big enough to live in, but it would still be a tight fit.

If after I finish Splinter Cell, Halo on Legendary, Munch's Oddysee and MotoGP 2 (when it comes out), GC is still on for £78, then I'll probably take the plunge. And this is from a guy who thinks the N64 only had 3 games worth playing, so that must be a good deal.

But everyone has a different price that they'd be willing to pay for a Gamecube, and £120 is too much for me.